kevin922

Sexual Preference Question....

Okay, here's my stupidity talking....but I vaguely remember something from high school psych that some part of the brain was larger in those who preferred same sex relationships. It was just a theory, and I have no idea if there were any detailed studies...maybe someone else can shed more light on that. But, I don't know...don't care...people can do whatever the hell they want as long as they don't take my money!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Just out of curiousity - and call me a moron if you will, but is your sexual preference in your DNA? I was curious, I heard about this cloned baby to a lesbian couple - does that mean the baby will also be a lesbian?

Kevin

Ok, MORON :P

I believe that an 'imbalance' in your DNA might create that situation, but in this case I doubt it.

i think its part genetic and part influence from your surroundings.

O

Surroundings might affect, but YOU MUST HAVE the inclination to be gay, I know people who work in that 'enviroment' and they keep their sexuality orientation straight.

It's not a popular opinion with the gay-rights crowd to consider it to be a choice, but to my way of thinking wouldn't that actually be better?

If it were in the DNA, then some Nazi could make a stupid statement about how it goes against nature and that clearly the DNA is defective since the purpose of sex is to procreate.

On the other hand, if it's a choice, then doesn't it just make more sense that a person is just choosing to express his or her love differently? Certainly -that- doesn't go against nature. Maybe it goes against certain religious dogma, but who's to say that's correct? Certainly not you or me. It's none of my business who you love or how you express it if it's simply a choice.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I personally believe that it is a choice, not a genetic predestination, but that's just my belief, not backed by any sort of medical research.

Why would anyone CHOOSE to be gay? They way people degrade, beat up and kill homosexuals why would anyone choose this lifestyle?

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

It's not a popular opinion with the gay-rights crowd to consider it to be a choice, but to my way of thinking wouldn't that actually be better?

If it were in the DNA, then some Nazi could make a stupid statement about how it goes against nature and that clearly the DNA is defective since the purpose of sex is to procreate.

On the other hand, if it's a choice, then doesn't it just make more sense that a person is just choosing to express his or her love differently? Certainly -that- doesn't go against nature. Maybe it goes against certain religious dogma, but who's to say that's correct? Certainly not you or me. It's none of my business who you love or how you express it if it's simply a choice.

I have to disagree, you don't CHOOSE, I see it like this, say, one morning you wake up and say: Hey...you know what? I WANNA BE GAY, it has nothing to do with religion or political situation, is just a mental and physical scenario.

For the record, I have nothing against gays, I respect their way of life, I'm just expressing my views.

I couldn't tell you, I'm straight, but why would people choose a lot of things in life, its their choice. *shrug*

Actually, I'd like to see what Nacrimund and Keith have to say, throw some light on the subject from a different perspective.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't think much about it. As long as someone's not forcing their view on me, I couldn't care less. I generally apply this mindset to all sorts of cultural issues, sexual preference, sexual intensity, religion, drinking habits, etc...

Since most of this stuff is founded on one's individual liberty, it's not my business anyway, unless someone makes it mine (i.e. some religious zealot waking me up on a Saturday morning...:S)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I could care less what your sexual preference is as well -- however the purpose of the thread was because cloneing people intrigues me. How much alike will this clone person be?? If the person the DNA was taken from has certain herditary problems (some type of cancer or something that is definately hereditary) does this mean the clone will get this cancer? Same goes with the sexual preference question it wasn't intended to get an opinon of "gay" lifestyles ... it was more of a not-so-scientific question on what would happen with the clone. :)

Aren't there a few openly gay folks here on this venue? I'd like to hear their opinion. I've always wondered why it can't be both explanations. I'd agree that the vast majority of gay/lesbian people were born with that bent, but can't homosexuality be produced through environment?

CZ

I could care less what your sexual preference is as well -- however the purpose of the thread was because cloneing people intrigues me. How much alike will this clone person be?? If the person the DNA was taken from has certain herditary problems (some type of cancer or something that is definately hereditary) does this mean the clone will get this cancer? Same goes with the sexual preference question it wasn't intended to get an opinon of "gay" lifestyles ... it was more of a not-so-scientific question on what would happen with the clone. :)

Cloning in this case is pretty much a IDENTICAL TWINS, not necessarily both will have the same 'temper' or 'preferences', however, illness, depending on which illness we are talking about, definetely it will be inherited.

Cloning in this case is pretty much a IDENTICAL TWINS, not necessarily both will have the same 'temper' or 'preferences', however, illness, depending on which illness we are talking about, definetely it will be inherited.

To expand upon this, I don't think being gay or straight is genetic or hereditary. I think it is a developed preference. You know sort of like how some people like mustard and some don't. Some like red while others like blue. B|

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

To expand upon this, I don't think being gay or straight is genetic or hereditary. I think it is a developed preference. You know sort of like how some people like mustard and some don't. Some like red while others like blue. B|

KEYWORD: Developed preference, which means you will have to have a starting point, and THEN you developed.

http://www.spub.ksu.edu/issues/v099b/sp/n113/opn-kevyn-03.06.95.html

I already pmed this to Kevin, but thought that I may as well post it. I do remember reading something about this in high school. I guess biological differences have been found, but no one knows for sure when it comes to nature vs nurture. But talk yourselves blue about it if you like.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning