jumppilot01

Rantoul

Long run? Ain't cheap in the short run, either. The only thing an RV has is its convenience, because the economy just isn't there.

Lou is right - an RV costs more than if you traveled by air, rented a car, and stayed at a motel.

I know, because I compared the two.

Guess who flew, rented a car, and stayed in a motel? B|

IF IF IF, however, you could share the RV expenses with two or three other people, it might be worthwhile.

I'd like to share an RV at Rantoul this year. That way I could get hammered without having to worry about driving back to the motel, but would still have conveniences like air conditioning, shower, etc.

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

That way I could get hammered without having to worry about driving back to the motel

*remembering drunken golf cart rides to and through the RV park* :S

The only downside I can see (besides cost) to an RV is that the RV park is so far from tent city. Okay if you aren't into the party scene... but part of the fun for me was the roving groups that came through tent city looking for other groups still up and partying after the entertainment tent closed each night.

I guess I'd feel different if I'd gone there specifically to jump my ass off.;)

I have been talking to the crew about 2003. We are trying to come up with something "special" just for you.

Oh gee....don't go out of your way for little ole me.

Is there anything you haven't done yet?

:$

Be as kinky as you want - we'll shoot the footage. We can wait 'til the last day so you won't miss any jumping while you recover.

Kinky? Me? I'd never do anything like that with the crew around with that little red light on;)

I guess we'll just have to see what kind of mood I'm in. I know how you, Grant, and Adam can talk a girl into doing just about anything.:o
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I made plans with some people for WFFC 2003, but they are already dropping like flies. Slacking bastards! :(

So, I'm looking for some advice.

I am planning to do way more jumping than heavy partying, so the proximity of where I stay to the "action" isn't important. Getting a decent night's sleep and being ready for the next jumping day is a higher priority. My plan is to be at the WFFC from the 6th to the 10th.

Which option do you think is the best?
1) Fly In + Rental Car + Hotel
2) Fly In + Rental Car + Tent
3) Fly In + Rental Minivan (to sleep in)
4) Fly + rely on DZ.com'ers for getting from Chicago to Rantoul and splitting room

Other thoughts or suggestions?

I made plans with some people for WFFC 2003, but they are already dropping like flies. Slacking bastards! :(

So, I'm looking for some advice.

I am planning to do way more jumping than heavy partying, so the proximity of where I stay to the "action" isn't important. Getting a decent night's sleep and being ready for the next jumping day is a higher priority. My plan is to be at the WFFC from the 6th to the 10th.

Which option do you think is the best?
1) Fly In + Rental Car + Hotel
2) Fly In + Rental Car + Tent
3) Fly In + Rental Minivan (to sleep in)
4) Fly + rely on DZ.com'ers for getting from Chicago to Rantoul and splitting room

Other thoughts or suggestions?

Well, I managed to jump my ass off, party late most nights, and I tented it.

So, my suggestion would be fly in+catch a ride+tent it+ and have more $$$ for jump tickets!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

>4) Fly + rely on DZ.com'ers for getting from Chicago to Rantoul and splitting room

There are a lot of people that are traveling around and out of Chicago that week. And you have to camp on site... stumbling back to your tent after hitting the C-130 bar is half the fun of the party :ph34r: Evn camping on the airport, as long as you camp away from the main party tent it was'nt bad at all to go to sleep.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I thought about that, but I just didn't know how well it would work coming in mid-week like that. I figure there will be a flood of people heading to the airport on Sunday evening, but the Wednesday morning arrival might be a problem. Either that or kinda late on Tuesday night.

How well did people do getting to and from the airports with bummed rides? It would totally suck to try it and get stranded.

I'm so glad Rantoul is only an hour drive for me. I already have my arrangements made, and once again i'm in the RV park. I'll prolly pitch a tent also just in case i can't make it back the RV park though...

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

PhreeZone,

The problem with Champaign is that the airfares are like twice as much as flying into Chicago. It would actually be cheaper to fly into Chicago and rent a car myself than to fly into Champaign. Annoying, huh?

Edit: Plus, DC -> Chicago are almost all non-stop flights. Getting to Champaign is at least one transfer, if not two. That extra time kills a good part of a jumping day.

>4) Fly + rely on DZ.com'ers for getting from Chicago to Rantoul and splitting room

There are a lot of people that are traveling around and out of Chicago that week. And you have to camp on site... stumbling back to your tent after hitting the C-130 bar is half the fun of the party :ph34r: Evn camping on the airport, as long as you camp away from the main party tent it was'nt bad at all to go to sleep.

I agree, there are plenty of places you could pitch a tent that are not too "high traffic". I had my tent in the main camping area "read: High traffic;)" and had no problems getting sleep. That was with a days of jumping starting at 8 or 9 AM, partying started about 8:30 or 9 PM and I was usually ready to pass out about 2 or 3 AM. OTOH I thing all the alcohol has somthing to do with that...

I thought about that, but I just didn't know how well it would work coming in mid-week like that. I figure there will be a flood of people heading to the airport on Sunday evening, but the Wednesday morning arrival might be a problem. Either that or kinda late on Tuesday night.

How well did people do getting to and from the airports with bummed rides? It would totally suck to try it and get stranded.

I seem to remember there were shuttles of some sort. I don't know if they were from Chicago or not though(although I think they were). Have you thought about a cab? Both these subjects came up on the WFFC message board last year.

Depending on when you are in Chicago, Amtrack is a decent option. It leaves Chicago for Rantoul at around 4p arriving in Rantoul at 6p Leaves Rantoul for ChiTown at 7p. It's Like $20 round trip.

Also Check St. Louis for a flight. It is a 2hour and 10 min drive from St. Louis to Rantoul at a relatively calm speed. Put the Pedal to the Metal and you can cut that time down a bit.
-----------
Ready, Set, Gooooooo

Indy was just over 2 hours to Rantoul also ;) Did the indy to rantoul to indy to rantoul to indy thing last year.

>That extra time kills a good part of a jumping day.

Don't worry... you'll go broke before you run out of jumping options. 65- 100 skydivers in the air at any given second after 9am? yeah... even a single hour means you've missed at least 30 loads, possibly 35.:P

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

PhreeZone,

The problem with Champaign is that the airfares are like twice as much as flying into Chicago. It would actually be cheaper to fly into Chicago and rent a car myself than to fly into Champaign. Annoying, huh?

Edit: Plus, DC -> Chicago are almost all non-stop flights. Getting to Champaign is at least one transfer, if not two. That extra time kills a good part of a jumping day.

Dude, you've got 6 months to buy tickets. I'm willing to bet that the prices will change. Last year it was actually cheaper for me to fly to Champaign than Chicago.

PhreeZone,

Not sure where you're coming from, but another option is to fly into Bloomington/Normal. I believe ATA flies direct from a few points. Drive time is minimal if you take the country highway just South directly into Rantoul. I'm guessing it's about 35-40 minutes...
-----
~~~Michael

Put the Pedal to the Metal and you can cut that time down a bit.

Just keep in mind that Illinois has a nasty reputation for not tolerating speed freaks on the road. Keep your eyes glued to the tops of overpasses as there might be a single officer in plain clothes talking to all his buddies lined up on the onramp on the other side. I've seen in several times...
-----
~~~Michael

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure where you're coming from, but another option is to fly into Bloomington/Normal.

I'll look at Bloomington, but I figured I'd stand the best shot of a ride, as well as the cheapest fares, if I fly from Washington DC to Chicago. Lots of quick non-stop flights.

I'm just debating my options, now that both of my driving partners from my local area have wimped out. If you want it done right, you got to do it yourself! :S

I'm just debating my options, now that both of my driving partners from my local area have wimped out. If you want it done right, you got to do it yourself! :S

I'd help you out, but I'll be coming from Denver a week before the fun starts...i.e. wrong direction...If you do the Amtrak route, letme know, I'll pick you up...
-----
~~~Michael

How well did people do getting to and from the airports with bummed rides?

My ride back to Chicago left early so I was stranded there. One announcement on Saturday afternoon and I had a ride back to Chicago, no problem. I did have to ride CTA from downtown out to O'Hare :ph34r:, but hey! the whole thing was about new experiences so I didn't mind that too much.