bmcd308

I love that lefties run our schools

>>I'm gonna have to jump in here. I'm a teacher because I choose to be. I would love to get paid more because I work my ass off and I do a damn fine job. I'm not going to whine (too much) about pay because this is the profession I chose and I get two weeks at Christmas, a week at spring break, two months in the summer...And just for the record, I'm probably what you would consider one of the "righties" <<

I love you.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I went to what is reputed to be a "righty" college, but in hindsight, it was sure chock full of lefties. I have no real data, either.

Hypothesis - idealistic people are more likely to be both educators and lefties. Cynical people the other way.

BMcD...

www.jumpelvis.com

>>All this to say don't knock a teacher until you have walked a mile in my shoes, and saying that all teachers are lefties is like saying all skydivers are freaks, or all cops are crooked. <<

My apologies. I did not mean for my own rant to come off like that, but I certainly see how you took it that way.

I used to be engaged to a special education teacher who remains, in my opinion, one of the greatest women on earth (despite the fact that she and I cannot get along for three minutes at a stretch).

What I meant to say is that their is a fairly high level of institutional liberalism in the school system in general, a statement I do not think you would disagree with too strongly if at all. I certainly did not mean to imply that all who are employed in the school system share the views of the leaders of that system.

Teachers have my support on a number of levels, and I promise I'll never be one of those parents who keys your car because you send a note home about my kid's behavior (happened to my ex).

Brent

www.jumpelvis.com

Remember, too, that what you may define as "lefty" might differ widely from what someone else defines as "lefty." It's a relative description, and not an absolute one.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Remember, too, that what you may define as "lefty" might differ widely from what someone else defines as "lefty." It's a relative description, and not an absolute one.

Sounds like a left winger's response to me.:P

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Hypothesis - idealistic people are more likely to be both educators and lefties. Cynical people the other way.

I can promise you I am one of the more cynical people you will meet most of the time.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

All this to say don't knock a teacher until you have walked a mile in my shoes, and saying that all teachers are lefties is like saying all skydivers are freaks, or all cops are crooked.

I'm with you there, mouth... left or right, society includes people of all persuasions. It's only a fool who thinks his way is the only way.

Of course, if teachers were paid more, there would be more "righties" applying for the jobs. In a capitalist society you get what you pay for. :P

We agree on something Kallend. (grasping my chest)
I think the best way to get rid of the lefties is to pay teachers a lot more. This will definitely attracted more intelligent people who tend to be more right leaning. GREAT IDEA !!!!!!!:)

Sweet GOD!! that hit the nail on the head:):ph34r:(for those reasons, I went to private schools)

My gut feeling is that is true to some extent, and that teacher pay has a lot to do with it. I have no actual data.

Some observations:

I have a job that pays shit. I perform the job for mostly idealistic reasons and I would consider my views moderately to the right. Almost everyone I work with holds similiar views as mine. They are also paid shit.

I think most university level teachers (professors) lean to the left in their political views. Pay is better at the university level. I haven't noticed that political trend to the left in grade school and high school teachers. All of the women in my family (mom and two sisters) are high school teachers. They are definitely conservative in their views.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

"Remember, too, that what you may define as "lefty" might differ widely from what someone else defines as "lefty." "

Hmmm, good point Wendy. Might I also add that Dubya's favourite Limey, our very own Tony Blair and his Labour Party, represent the 'Lefties' over here. The opposition Conservative Party represent the right. There are, of course, other minority parties at the extreme ends of the political spectrum, our Liberal Party along with other squashed varmints occupy the middle of the road.

AggieDave you and I have differing opinions over the method of achieving regime change in Iraq , however, I agree with you 100% on the application of whoop ass in this case. I'll even hold your hat for you to save it getting bent. ;) The parents and these kids themselves have enough to worry about with their loved ones serving abroad, without having to deal this sort of headf&*k.

Can you imagine the furore if a right wing teacher was ostracising muslim kids?

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Not a problem at Most Holy Rosary.

Or Our Lady of Ever Expanding Burst Radius.

for those reasons, I went to private schools

I did it for the plaid skirts.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Don't know if you have compared private school teacher salaries to those of public school, but in GA public school teachers make a lot more than their private school counterparts. On an average of twice a year I get contacted by the provate school looking to fill a position. When I compare the salaries I can't justify raising two children on that salary.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Our Lady of Bloody Knukles was a long grade school endevour for me.
I had 1 Nun attempt to give me my 1st solo from a window(2nd flr)
In 3rd grade I deserved it;) I was a pain in the ass.
Sister Jude turned out to be one of my favorite Nuns though:)p.s. I learned all my foul jokes and fighting in Catholic school:)

Don't know if you have compared private school teacher salaries to those of public school, but in GA public school teachers make a lot more than their private school counterparts. On an average of twice a year I get contacted by the provate school looking to fill a position. When I compare the salaries I can't justify raising two children on that salary.

Salary? what's a "Salary"?:S
Nuns had a vow of proverty (and the school kept up that promise):) Yep even snazzy clothes that only the Amish would envy.
The Priest and Franciscan Brothers rotated from Colleges and High Schools to teaching us.
Some in Grade school, High School & College(the same people.)
-Grant

"What we're hearing is that some of the educators are talking about the possible war in Iraq being unethical and that those who would fight it are unethical," Maj. Rogers said."

"...the taunting the children of military personnel that were called to duty, by their teachers?"

Hey, Sport--you might wanna RE-READ the actual article.
The only "taunting" mentioned was on the school bus--by other school kids.

I suspect that what really happened is that a teacher or teachers aide (damn traitorous lefties) tried to introduce an opposing idea that rocked these little kids' worlds. Mr. and Mrs. Military bitched about their darlings boo-hooing all the way home.

These kids NEED to hear both sides--not just the "America United", "Target Iraq" and "Countdown to War" crap heard on all the major media outlets.

This story is a tempest in a teapot and another attempt to crush anyone who dares to question the chickenhawks' rush to war. I suspect it's all a bunch of trumped up BS. Trying to villainize those who question the war by playing the "poor children" card? They have no shame.
“Keep your elbow up!"

Alright, if that was the case then why this:

Maine teachers warned: Watch anti-war talk in classroom
Friday, February 28, 2003 Posted: 4:29 AM EST (0929 GMT)

Maine's Department of Education Commissioner Duke Albanese sent a memo to superintendents and principals regarding sensitivity to the families of military personnel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED
Read the letter from Maine's commissioner of education

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- After complaints that the children of soldiers were upset by anti-war comments at school, Maine's top education official warned teachers to be careful of what they say in class about a possible invasion of Iraq.

The Maine Army National Guard has received a dozen reports of children of guard members in elementary and middle schools who said teachers and fellow students have criticized the looming conflict.

Maj. Peter Rogers quoted parents as saying their children have come home upset or depressed because of comments in class and on the playground.

"They were hearing comments like, 'The pending war in Iraq is unethical' and 'Anybody who would fight that war is also unethical,"' Rogers said. "So children who are already losing family members to deployment were understandably upset."

Charles Haynes of the Freedom Forum, an educational organization in Arlington, Virginia, said he has received several dozen e-mails and phone calls in recent months from parents concerned that teachers are unfair or biased in how they address the issue of Iraq in the classroom.

Haynes urged schools to keep alive classroom discussions about Iraq, and present different views on the issue, even if there have been complaints about teaching methods or teacher comments.

"Often it is a misunderstanding of what the teacher is trying to do," he said. "But it's also the case that some teachers have a political agenda they can't keep out of the classroom, and that they must do."

In Maine, Department of Education Commissioner Duke Albanese sent a memo to superintendents and principals, writing that it had been brought to his attention some school personnel had been "less than sensitive to children of military families regarding our continued strained relations with Iraq."

He said discussion should allow for questions and differences of opinion, but "be grounded in civil discourse and mutual respect."

The issue has also grabbed the attention of Republican Sen. Susan Collins and Gov. John Baldacci.

"Any suggestion that their parents are doing something wrong is extremely unfortunate and could have a harmful effect, particularly on young children," Collins said.

Baldacci said he's "disappointed" by the actions of some educators in public school systems

Found here: http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/02/28/teachers.iraq.ap/index.html

You can see this however you want to see this, that's your problem; however, I see this as teachers from a historically politically left of center population imposing their own political agenda on their students. There are places for politics, the classroom at their age is not one of them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I suspect that what really happened is that a teacher or teachers aide (damn traitorous lefties) tried to introduce an opposing idea that rocked these little kids' worlds. Mr. and Mrs. Military bitched about their darlings boo-hooing all the way home.

These kids NEED to hear both sides--not just the "America United", "Target Iraq" and "Countdown to War" crap heard on all the major media outlets.

These kids are going through enough at this time. They don't need some insensitive asshole telling them that their father or mother is going off to fight an immoral war. There is enough stress in their family at this time.

They need to see both sides but that is the family's responsibility based on the maturity and needs of the kid. Their elementary school teachers need to focus on the basics. Not push any political agenda. Supporting our troops while they are being depoyed overseas is not pushing an agenda.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

>however, I see this as teachers from a historically politically left of
>center population imposing their own political agenda on their
>students.

And I see this as one asshole teacher's-aide getting Limbaughed into a vast left wing conspiracy. From the original Washington Post article:

"Mr. Albanese told the Bangor Daily News that only one complaint involved classroom remarks, after the child of a Guard member became upset during a discussion of Iraq when a teaching assistant "took up the anti-war" argument.
"Other incidents, according to Mr. Albanese, involved a child who had requested to leave school early for a military-related activity and a student who was teased on a school bus because he has a parent in the military."

So the problem began when one teacher's aide said some insensitive and stupid things, a kid got teased on a bus by other kids, and someone had to leave early for a military activity. Seems more like typical school activity than any "imposing of a political agenda."

only one complaint involved classroom remarks

That's still one too many!

Lets take this from a different perspective, even with the one remark. What if it was a racial slur spoking to a minority? What would have happened then? From my perspective, this is just as bad.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>That's still one too many!

Oh, agreed. Fire the teacher's aid.

>Lets take this from a different perspective, even with the one
>remark. What if it was a racial slur spoking to a minority? What
>would have happened then? From my perspective, this is just as bad.

I agree, but again, this is one asshole. Take care of him/her and you've taken care of the problem. There's no vast conspiracy trying to twist young minds into more 'desirable' worldviews.

Here's yet a third perspective. Is this indicative what all right winger think about free speech, all part of a vast right wing conspiracy, or is this guy just an asshole?