goose491

a Canadian Apology to the United States (hillarious)

Funny, but the Navy is the only part of the Canadian armed forces that are somewhat reasonably well funded. Some of their newest destroyers are faster and more nimble then the American ones.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

BTW, I agree that every mass produced beer in this country is like sex in a canoe, but I would be more than willing to stack Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale against any beer in the world.

If you're ever in Toronto, make sure to try the "Coffee Porter" at "C'est What" restaurant downtown. They use over 50 pounds of coffee beans in every batch. I've never found anything quite like it... even in Cleveland.

_AM
__

Rick Mercer will be the first pussy asking for U.S. help when Canada gets hit by a terror attack..

Lighten up, Rhino ... Rick Mercer is about the funniest person out there. But you, on the other hand, by insulting his humor, reveal much about yourself.

Lighten up, Rhino ... Rick Mercer is about the funniest person out there. But you, on the other hand, by insulting his humor, reveal much about yourself.

Do you actually think I care what you think about me? Not even 1% B|

our neighbors to the north are by and large a mass of sheeple looking to the government to take care of them and paying through the nose (taxes) to have that happen.

Aside from this hopefully being friendly banter, I can't agree more with this statement. Although I haven't lived here my whole life, I am Canadian, and after being abroad for several years, this statement rings a bit too true to me...

Cheers,
NewGuy B|

Rick Mercer is an idiot..

lol

lol, of course he is an idiot???...he makes a living pissing people off- saying he is an idiot implies you are one.

Saturical comedy----some viewers may not share his sense of humor...others misconstrue/misconceive... (interpet wrongly)
American beauty eh? Rick Mercer pulls some yankee leg...? and you guys take it seriously??

Mercer substituting the word poutine - a Quebec mix of french fries, gravy and cheese curds - for the name Chretien.
"Prime Minister Jean Poutine said he wouldn't endorse any candidate in this election, now he says he believes George W. Bush is the man to lead the free world into the 21st century."
The prank shows that American presidential candidate George W. Bush and another politician don't know the name of Canada's prime minister.

and who really gives a $#**## anyway...I am a Canadian born and raised- ya it is funny, but it is comedy and comedy is sometimes funny???????

Happily enough for comic Rick Mercer, Americans don't seem to know any better....They offer up their opinion so freely. But even if they come from institutions of higher learning, they don't know what they're talking about. Why do you think they feel they can just weigh in with an opinion?
Mercer: I think they stop and talk because, not only do Americans like to go on at great lengths on subjects they nothing about, they are also incredibly generous. And when they hear that I'm from Canada, they want to help out because, well, "Canada, they're our friends. Plus, no one will see this," because we're from somewhere else.

Should Canada go to a 24-hour clock? Did you know that Prime Minister Jean Chrétien is black? Or that we have a king named Lucienne Bonhomme? And how about the news that Mayor Mel Lastman has reinstated the Toronto polar bear hunt?..or congratulations Canada- on making "Beaver Balls" your national dish...There's Canadian beer??? Sure, if you're a girl. :-) ...or a moose.
Canadians testiment of awesome power:.....socialized medicine/ invention of ice hockey/ miracle of insulin........eh? Where's your toque eh? live in igloo's eh?....bacon and beer eh?

Caustic Canadian comic Rick Mercer asked the people of Canada if they would require Alliance party leader Stockwell Day to change his first name to "Doris", making his name "Doris Day". Even Rick was astonished at the response - nearly half a million people voted "yes."
Marg- the princess warrior for liberal party leader of Canada (Mary Walsh) pic attached, what a riot!

As a child, Mercer recalls, “my grades were so bad I wasn’t allowed to watch much television. But my parents always watched the news, so that was my TV entertainment.”

The basic premise when you’re doing satire is that the people watching your show have some idea what’s going on, so they know what you’re talking about.
In America, what passes as satire is kind of ‘the president is fat and eats burgers’ and now people know about this Monica Lewinsky thing. Other than that, it’s difficult to perform satire in the United States because they really don’t pay much attention to it. In Canada, people seem to have more of an interest and are more willing to go there.”

"We piss people off all the time," laughs Mercer. "There are a number of lawyers that do nothing but read our scripts on a regular basis. Essentially, the best rule of thumb is if it’s true, then you can say it all you want. If you’re making it up, you’re getting in trouble."

...hell I remember in grade 1 we lined up outside the school and waited for our Candian flag to be raised, and sang "Oh Canada"...then someone decided that wasn't fair....

Smiles;)

liberalleader.jpg

nearly half a million people voted "yes."

I did!!! Keep in mind that Stockwell Day is a right-wing nut who believes that men walked the earth with dinosaurs 4-thousand years ago. "Doris" is among the politer names I can think of...

I wasn't actually being serious.. I love Canada.. Went to the falls last weekend.. The roads are kind of screwed up though

Look, I get by back up when someone dumps on MY country ... I guess we all can be a proud of our countries ... I now step back from the edge of the brink we are on in this thread ... after all, it's just a comedy sketch! Remember, Canada and the USA are best buds ... we are far more alike than we are different. (But WE still have 2 Olympic hockey Gold medals;))

"I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Kaiser Wilhelm, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons."

I suspect that most of the hard feelings on this string were created by comedy that "does not travel well."
Sorry folks, but if you do not understand the political background, you will never get the joke.
For example, I only catch some British political humor and most Australian political satire goes completely over my head.

OH, and another critic was accurate in stating that the Canadian Armed Forces may not have many guns, however, some of those guns are mighty accurate. Just the USMC who bailed them out of some embarrassing ambushes in Afghanistan last year.

Oh, and I understand America's disgrace at loosing Olympic gold medals to Canadian hockey players, especially GIRL hockey players. It makes perfect sense to ban softwood lumber imports in retaliation. Only a handful of Canadian lumberjacks suffered in comparison to the millions of middle-class American consumers who have to pay more for houses. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! Ha ha!
Oh and Canadian lumber exporters have been busier SINCE the USA imposed higher tarifs on softwood. Ha ha!

Of course the only reason Prime Minister Jean Chretien cared about the softwood lumber dispute was because he t'ought it was an erectile disfunction problem in Quebec.
Oh, and I find it really scary that American comedian Robin Williams speaks BOTH of Canada's official languages better than our own Prime Minister.

Ah, don't get so upset Smiles, this thread is only going to reinforce the idea that Canadians have a sense of humor FAR more evolved then the Americans. It's only reinforcing why Canadians have dominated the Chicago and New York comedy scene for decades, and they will continue to for the forseeable future.

For those that don't know, Rick Mercer makes Jon Stewart look like Walter Cronkite. He can be seen on one of the funniest "news" shows ever produced, "this hour has 22 minutes", produced by the CBC.

My favorite interview was when he convinced Mike Huckabee, the governor of Arkansas that Canada going to encase the country in a glass dome as protection against global warming. Said the governor: ''Hi, I'm Mike Huckabee of Arkansas wanting to say congratulations, Canada, on preserving your national igloo!"

Other fun interviews was the with Tom Vilsack , the govenor of Iowa. In the interview he said "'Canada, congratulations on your new 24-hour clock..." It's amazing how gullible these guys are...

Whenever an American tells a Canada joke, I grin. I appreciate their acknowledgement that we're funnier then they are. Now, if only we could teach them how...

_Am
__

Dear Mountainman, you obviously have never seen the Canadian military. Thank you for your generous photos, although they must have been from other countries that have a greater military budget than ours.

Cheers,
NewGuy B|

Dear Newguy,

It was a joke. Laugh.

Regards,
Mountainman
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

Dear Newguy,

It was a joke. Laugh.

I was and I did. The others I shared it with enjoyed it as well. If you can't poke fun at yourself, what's left? Still think you've overestimated the Canadian military strength though.

Cheers,
NewGuy B|

BTW, I agree that every mass produced beer in this country is like sex in a canoe, but I would be more than willing to stack Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale against any beer in the world.

If you're ever in Toronto, make sure to try the "Coffee Porter" at "C'est What" restaurant downtown. They use over 50 pounds of coffee beans in every batch. I've never found anything quite like it... even in Cleveland.

_AM

Like as "Hi Test" type of "BUZZ BEER"?:ph34r:
A little cream& Sugar and I'll be my 1st breakfast drink ever! (...case of beer) I can't wait to try that Porter.
-Grant

Hey Rhino....

Canadian sniper now holds record for longest range kill... Bested Hathcocks old record by a few hundred meters... I believe an actual quote from some US Army guy in Afgh. was (finding himself in the shit and tossing his better sniper rifle to some Canuck sniper co-located with him), "Here, you know how to use this better than I do"

I think you are a former Marine... you of all people should know that military strength comes more from the heart than the amount of bucks the government throws about....

Canadian sniper now holds record for longest range kill...

So, they actually got some training done during all of those years they sat on the sideline and let us handle the fighting. Good job guys. We're proud of you. You can continue to send all of your soldiers to our schools for training. ;)

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

What a funny as heck thread! From the first post, which made me laugh, to the last posts, with the exception of a few too serious minded posts, I was laughing out loud.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~