rocketfeuille

I hate peace.

Actually, that's a lie. I hate the people I see all around me who protest the war and promote peace because it's trendy. This college campus is so full of people who have no idea what this conflict is even about, but they're the first ones to stand up and yell for peace.
Don't get me wrong- I'm all about free speech. I respect those (like Billvon) who desire peace in this situation and disagree with Bush's policies. That's great. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm glad to hear you share it.
The problem is that everywhere I turn on campus, I see another peace rally because it's the "cool" thing to do. There are "bikes for peace and a better environment", "journalists for peace", "aggies for peace", "poetry for peace", "let's watch movies for peace" rallies all over the place. I'm sick and tired of it. Here we are at a degree-granting institution, supposedly a place of higher learning, and we have innumerable students who can't or refuse to think for themselves. Blah.

>I hate the people I see all around me who protest the war
>and promote peace because it's trendy.

And I've been getting sick of all the pseudo patriots. The ones that put flags on their antennas, then drive with them until they deteriorate into tattered sun-bleached rags, and think they're showing respect for the US. The ones that are perfectly willing to sacrifice other people's lives for their beliefs, but are unwilling to give up their big truck and their use of lots of Iraqi oil - because it would mean a personal sacrifice, and that's just not on their agenda. The ones that feel that any expression of disagreement with the US's policies is unpatriotic if not downright treason. The ones that substitute hatred for reason, especially if you talk to them about it and actually question their assumptions. The ones that grin like children at christmas when they think about the cool war coming up, and see the "ragheads" that will die as worth no more than the alien monsters in some real-life version of "Doom."

Fortunately these people are in the minority.

And I've been getting sick of all the pseudo patriots. The ones that put flags on their antennas, then drive with them until they deteriorate into tattered sun-bleached rags, and think they're showing respect for the US.

Me too, Bill. That annoys me even more than the peaceniks on campus, but, like you said,

Fortunately these people are in the minority.

And since there are less of them, I don't have to be annoyed as much. Thus, my anger for them doesn't bubble over. You make a great point, and I totally agree.

Hey Bill, got room in that hybrid of yours for me, my wife, and my four kids? Some of us don't have the luxury of choice. There are very few economical 6+ passenger vehicles, period.

By the way, my flag hangs 24/7, and is lit at night.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

This thread is the perfect example of why the US is great. The principle of free speach. Now personally i cannot stand either the trendy college kids who protest to be cool or the phony patriots but I serve in the Military to protect their rights to be what they want to be. Even now I sit at an installation in the US just waiting for the plane to take me to the middle east. I have no problem doing it because I understand that while some people may not agree with the reasons, there is still a nobility in defending the freedoms the we enjoy.

Max aka Maximo Rodriguez

Protesting something that may leave thousands
dead is definitely not trendy.Its a serious issue that
has global attention,and protest...The same goes
for the enviromental protest...If we dont wake up
and get off are ass,and do something,it will be our
worse and maybe the last tragedy...I dont know about you,but I want my children and someday
grandchildren to breathe just as freely as we do!!!
So I say keep protesting,hell more protesting!!
This world needs change if we want humanity to
survive.

First- thanks, Max, for your attitude and for your commitment to our country. I'd be standing next to you if it weren't for my lack of a medical waiver.

Secondly-

Protesting something that may leave thousands dead is definitely not trendy. Its a serious issue that has global attention,and protest...

You aren't listening. I am not in any way saying that protests are cool and fun and trendy. I am saying that they should not be.
I agree with you, war is a very serious issue and should be treated as such. My problem is with those who only protest because their friends are doing it.

My problem is with those who only protest because their friends are doing it.

How do you know that's why they're doing it? Have you interviewed them?

College students tend to be more politically conscious than your average bear. I wouldn't be so quick to assume they're protesting brainlessly.

Edited for spelling.
Skydiving is for cool people only

>I wouldn't be so quick to assume they're protesting brainlessly.

From my perspective of the people at San Diego's protest:

75% were there because of their strong opinions about the war (about half of them made sense to me)

15% were there because their SO/friend/dad/daughter was there

10% were there with another unrelated protest (i.e. the feminists with their "down with the administration - up with the matriarchy!" thing)

College students tend to be more politically concious than your average bear. I wouldn't be so quick to assume they're protesting brainlessly.

If you were here, you'd think differently. Trust me.

Anyway, I'm sure that not all the students here are into the trendy aspect of it, just as not all "patriots" are of the type that Bill and I don't get along with. I hold fast, however, in my assessment of the situation. As a journalism major, I have covered a couple of these events and have found that most students are there to stand in front of the camera and nothing more. It's sad, but true.

You realize of course that this country was founded by a bunch of protesting, rich liberals. Don't know where we got the idea that protesting was bad.
I work at a University and your right there are a lot of people who don't know what this is all for. Some on the right and some on the left. And I don't see how peace can be trendy. War is basically bad for business.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

thanks for the suport rocketfeuille, I guess I still believe in the ideals that this country was founded. That every person is entitled to their freedoms. Even now when it seems that my freedoms have been taken away while I wait to go overseas, I know it has a greater purpose. I only ask one thing from the poeple on both sides of the issue. When this is going on or even over, don't protest the soldiers for doing their jobs. Everyone has their own political views but soldiers do what they are told and deserve the support of the citizens regardless. Ill step off my soapbox now.

Max aka Maximo Rodriguez

When this is going on or even over, don't protest the soldiers for doing their jobs. Everyone has their own political views but soldiers do what they are told and deserve the support of the citizens regardless.

Good post. Not everyone gets to choose how they work for peace, and not everyone has the same idea of how to work for it. But being a soldier is being willing to risk your life for others. Whether it's your buddies, your families, or people you never met, doesn't matter.

There are other jobs this applies to also. But that doesn't detract from its applying to the military.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

<[And I've been getting sick of all the pseudo
I don't , these guys are willing to be a bit different than the pukes that spat on friends of mine when they came back from viet nam I'm sure you heard of the hippies yelling babie killer. talk to a few of the vets and ask them what kind treatment they got Bill.
I will personally NEVER FORGET grown middle age men hugging me and kissing me crying the whole time in the boonies of Belgium forty years after world war two just because the last time Americans were there the nazis were on the run and that little boy got to go home to the farm instead of the easy bake oven from monster garage.
All the while thinking back in Texas and the Dakotas I was regarded as a hated low life "baser" by that particular shit holes college crowd.
Instead of dithering back here we need to show that we stand behind anybody that is deployed overseas doing a hard job, get this even if their ID card says C I A. bill! Glen

Where does most of the money come from to support the group "not in my name"

What exactly does that have to do with the sincerity of college students protesting for peace, or the rights of Americans to think and feel as they wish about the situation with Iraq?

NIMN is an organization of Jews (and others, I'm sure) who are in favor of reducing or eliminating aid to Israel, to help resolve the Palestinian issue. I'm sure it receives a lot of funding from Arabs and Palestinians. Why exactly wouldn't it?

If you're talking about the group "Not in Our Name" (which is against the war in Iraq), I'm sure it, too, receives funding from Arabs. And others. I'm sure a lot of them don't want Iraq bombed. The fact that its ideology seems a little too black-and-white probably doesn't matter to them, since it suits their ends.

If you're really just waiting to trap someone and show their ignorance and nasty America-hating liberal ideas (or whatever), well go right ahead. Just remember that someone thinking it doesn't make it so.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Instead of dithering back here we need to show that we stand behind anybody that is deployed overseas doing a hard job, get this even if their ID card says C I A.

Would that include backing them no matter what they did? Soldiers have far less individual leeway than CIA agents. The vast majority of CIA agents have their country's interests at heart. Some bend the rules in their zeal to protect their country, and some bend the rules simply because they can.

You back the ROLE, and then ensure that the individuals carrying it out are executing it professionally. Anything else is wrong.

Wendy W.

The problem is that everywhere I turn on campus, I see another peace rally because it's the "cool" thing to do. There are "bikes for peace and a better environment", "journalists for peace", "aggies for peace", "poetry for peace", "let's watch movies for peace" rallies all over the place.

you know what one group i never saw protesting for peace on campus was? History Majors.

Anyone who has taken more than a year of history or has even read world news daily for more than a couple years is more educated in world events than the schmos who participate in these rallies. Peace is nice and all, but you need to be educated before you make a rational decision.

b to the ill to the izz-o.

The thing that shits me about those people is when you ask them what they want to do instead of war they just stair at you :|. They have no clue!
You can't just say "we don't want a war so we won't have one". You do that and your country is going to get bitchslaped back into the stone ages! :S

beastie boys had a noble one with boycotting china, but look how far that went.
and what about Free Mumia !
Did anyone know who Mumia even was? theres not enough info out there to even base an opinion.
and the war with Saddam, did you see it coning and know what was going on over there before CNN and sean penn told ya?
neither did I.
I was thinking about the big waves out my back yard this weekend. hey by the way if all you have energy to burn give the surf rider foundation some money, or just protest polluting the water so my skin dosn't turn blue an green and the little fishies don't die.
Trendy is right. I think it boils down on some level for our (everyone's not just Americans) need for somthing epic and on a grand scale. .Think 1001 Arabian nights, or Jason & the Argonauts, or Beastmaster or some shit.
quick! point to Iroq on a map.. or better yet baghdad or just stick your collective heads up your ass.
I don't think G W would be burning the midnight oil on this thing if it did'nt have merit. it's not even a pre emptive strike. shit Sadam should be bombed just for setting the oil fields on fire, let alone running a tortourous wacko regieme. and
aaaa no, i don't know where our tax dollars go. and who the fuck we trained and armed and blah blah blah... I'm already tired of this post, how do you people write 1 page essay's on some random shit.
I would if I was a policy maker, but I know that I am pretty fuckin far removed from the powers that be, and are making these decisions, so I just focus on me and mines instead.
I've got no problem with people killing people either (justified), go go death penalty. hmmm has Sadam killed even one person? isn't that enought to send him to the chair?
ohh wait, he's not a citizen, he's a Dictator. ohh yeah, forgot how that works. wait a minute, I have no fucking idea how that works. I'm an American.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky