DYEVOUT

A serious question (not about war)

Perhaps I should have posted this in Skydiving Discussions, but this forum gets more traffic - so here goes.

My life insurance carrier has us do a review with her every few years. Since our last review, I got this new hobby (guess what).

How do you handle that with the insurance people? By not telling the insurance company, may I jeopardize non-skydiving related claims? If I let them know, will my insurance double? How do you folks deal with this issue?

I really appreciate any help you all could offer on this important topic.

Thanks.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

I've had life insurance carriers say skydiving is a problem, but not my health insurance company. I even told the truth about an accident I had that involved being carted out in an ambulance and an emergency room visit. They paid all of my claims minus the deductable no problem.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

All I can tell you is that with the company I work for (outside my other job) we have a 3 yr contestibility clause which means if you stated that you did not smoke , chew , race bikes or skydive ect... within the last 3yrs or intend to do so within the next three yrs then you are covered at your rate!! NOW if after those 3 yrs you decided to smoke, chew , race bikes , skydive ect.... you are still covered at your current rate ... And your full death claim will not be viod.... This is one of my options that make us stick out above the rest!!B|

jason

Freedom of speech includes volume

I work for a medical group, dealing with insurance all day long authorizing shit. I have yet to find an ins. carrier that will FULLY cover skydiving injuries, granted bull fighting is covered. in case of an injury, tell the ambulance driver that you were not jumping just running around the landing area fully geared up and thats when you fell and broke your leg. If you don't make that clear you will pay outta pocket. the Drivers know your full of shit, but they also know the insurance is more likely to pay the $1,500 +

hope that helps

<<<>>>
A good friend will bail you outta jail... A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "That was fucking awesome!!!'

Look at your policy and see what clauses you have and see if you have noncontestibility clause!! becuase even thoug I admitted I skydived they will cover me but not for jumping and yes they WILL look into it!!! Its not worth lying becuase if you dye of say a car accident and they found out you did not diclosed that you skydived guess what.... they can VOID your Policy!!

jason

I forget what company it was, there have been MANY it seems, but one guy was interviewing me about life insurance. He asked me what my hobbies were, and this was right after I started my AFF too, and after I rambled off a bunch of things he looked at me and told me that someone needs to take a $1mil policy out on me. I did one of these -->>:( and asked him WTF he was trying to say.>:(:S (of course, I didn't actually say "wtf", I more or less just gave him the "wtf?" eyes..)B|

But to answer your question, if I remember correctly, the companies I spoke to (I never opted for life insurance) told me that a death from skydiving would not be covered. Pretty much like AFLAC will not cover an injury sustained during skydiving.

who needs life insurance... stay single, have no kids and then ya got nothing to worry about................ or you can have my life insurance policy...... everything is covered... even acts of god/ natural disasters and war...... only problem is when ya sign up for my policy the last one becomes a bigger factor than normal....

only problem is when ya sign up for my policy the last one becomes a bigger factor than normal....

I dont need to sign up just list me as your Irrivocable benificary and the and the policy will be mine ..come on you'd do that for me wouldnt ya??;)

jason

I work for a medical group, dealing with insurance all day long authorizing shit. I have yet to find an ins. carrier that will FULLY cover skydiving injuries

I broke my leg skydiving. My insurance knew about it. The covered everything from the er visit to the surgery, pain pills and even physical therapy. I'd say that qualifies as 'fully'.

And my life insurance covers me even though I skydive. Just check your policy for exclusions.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

who needs life insurance... stay single, have no kids and then ya got nothing to worry about................ or you can have my life insurance policy...... everything is covered... even acts of god/ natural disasters and war...... only problem is when ya sign up for my policy the last one becomes a bigger factor than normal....

so when can I sign up;)

I can only speak for Oregon Laws: But once you have a life policy for two years they can not re underwrite you. So if you did not skydive before you got the insurance it does not matter now. The main reason a life agent wants to review your policies every few years is to sell you more insurance, ira, securities ect.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

You need to tell them.

In many states, knowledge about whether or not you skydive would affect whether they would issue you the insurance at all. Therefore, if you say you don't skydive, and you crater in, the insurance company can deny the insurance payoff, even if it is not specifically excluded.

Think about it this way: You have a car crash, you buy insurance for the car without telling them that the car was already totalled. would you honestly expect the insurance company to pay up?

This is a similar situation.

There are some life insurance companies that do not exclude skydiviers, though you may have to pay additional premiums.

If you don't want to be insured at all, tell them you drive motocycles off of airplanes at 13k feet while smoking. ;)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I told my insurance provider and he told me that since I had my insurance policy with them before I started skydiving that there wouldn't be any changes to my policy.

If you tell them let us know what they say.

Yeah the mrs. had me call my employer and find out. They said they covered everything but combat, cause that was uncle Sam's job. I had an accident, pretty good one too and was covered 90%. It was kind of hard to hide it as something other than skydiving. I'm pretty sure it covers accidental...you know what, the same way it woild cover an car crash or anything else.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

One of the best resources for life insurance that does not exclude skydiving is membership in professional organizations. Some large groups have group agreements with insurers to provide policies that do not have any exclusions. The reasoning being that the risk assumed by the insurance company insuring such a group is reduced because of the general profile of the members (i.e. not many in the group are into high-risk activities). If you're working in the tech field, you might want to try the IEEE http://www.ieee.org or the ACM http://www.acm.org or similar groups.
Hope this helps.

Mak