Gravitymaster

Intelligence: Hollywood vs Bush Administration

Chances are after a PhD in Mathmatics you're bound to have a few screws loose.

David

My GF has a PhD in Mathematics, and she'll kick your sorry ass/arse any day!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My point, which is apparently being missed, (although not surprising) was to give a contrast of those who call the Bush Administration "stupid, morons and idiots".

OK - I raise you. I have a PhD from Cambridge, and I think Bush is an intellectually mediocre puppet of some clever handlers.

My point, which is apparently being missed, (although not surprising) was to give a contrast of those who call the Bush Administration "stupid, morons and idiots".

OK - I raise you. I have a PhD from Cambridge, and I think Bush is an intellectually mediocre puppet of some clever handlers.

Heh, heh, which proves what some have been saying about an education not indicating intelligence. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Sorry arse?

Apologies if you took my reply to Bill as an afront to your GF. Most of my friends have a PhD in chemistry, I may even have one myself in the near future. Quantum mechanics fried my brain.

I 've seen tenured faculty lose their marbles and giggle at the lights in the elevator, from time to time I've thought I was losing the plot myself not to mention some of my friends.

Nice to see that a sense of humour remains on these forums.

David

OK - I raise you. I have a PhD from Cambridge, and I think Bush is an intellectually mediocre puppet of some
clever handlers.

OK...well.....Damn......ah.....I think..no.....Uh......

Damn he may have this one.

But John, you have to admit that you do not have the intel that GB does? You may be a smart guy...OK you ARE a smart guy...But if you don't have access to the knowledge, who is better to make a choice, the guy with the PHD that gets his info from the news, or they guy with ALL the info of the CIA, FBI, Military, And all the other alphabet groups in the WORLD....some of which you have to have a Secret clearance to even know about?

I go with the guy with the G2, not just the IQ.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hi there,

Personally I suspect that the whole point of "Hollywood" opposing the war is being missed.

The point is PUBLICITY!!!!!!

An actor's profession is to pretend to be someone they're not, express emotions they aren't actually experiencing and profess opinions that they don't necessarily hold AND do this convincingly. As such, it's surely impossible to ascertain what an actor is actually thinking from what they're expressing.

The one thing that actors and other "celebrities" are ABSOLUTELY SERIOUS about is publicity. The one thing they fear is being forgotten by the public because that'll result in unemployment. As such, they'll generally flock to wherever there'll be public exposure whether it's a film premiere, awards ceremonies, parties or anti war demonstrations. In effect anywhere that there's film crews, photographers, any media who'll give them some exposure. Any exposure. Hopefully positive exposure, but exposure can be spun (hopefully getting more exposure) while no exposure is exactly nothing.

Did "Hanoi Jane" want to move out of Hollywood and live in a mud hut in the middle of a rice paddy? SHe could have, but she didn't. What she did do was get photographed sitting on a North Vietnamese FlAK gun and spout a few lines to "justify" the photo. The result... WHenever a sentence containing "Celebrity" and Vietnam" is mentioned, everyone thinks of "Hanoi Jane", who thinks of, say Bob Hope and his countless concerts for the US forces in Vietnam?

So, do Barbara, Cher, Martin, Jessica, Alec, Julia, Sean Etc... REALLY want to help the Iraqi regime? If so, I'm sure the Iraqi army currently has a vacancy or two:D. In particular I'm sure that Martin Sheen and Sean Penn's experience will be extremely valuable from what I've seen of them in various films (but I forget, that was acting).

What I expect is that whenever a camera or reporters pad comes within range of them, they'll say something, ANYTHING, designed primarily to ensure that they receive exposure in the media.

After all, that's their job.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

What I expect is that whenever a camera or reporters pad comes within range of them, they'll say something, ANYTHING, designed primarily to ensure that they receive exposure in the media.

After all, that's their job.

Well put. And because of their celebrity, their opinions gather more publicity. That robs from the honesty of their opinions n a way.

They have just as much right to an opinion as we do; many actors and actresses are, in fact, smart (not just the conservative ones;)), but they probably spend just as much time talking about this as we do.

That makes them as knowledgeable as we are, and not necessarily as knowledgeable as people in middle eastern studies departments, foreign relations think thanks, military think tanks, foreign service officers, etc.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

They have just as much right to an opinion as we do

I completely agree. However, since they have such a wide audience, they bear a larger responsibility to use it carefully. My only concern is if their #1 priority is their own agenda or a truly humanitarian agenda. None of us know the answer to that. It is a matter of individual conscience.

Chris

Heh, heh, which proves what some have been saying about an education not indicating intelligence. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

That's right - Bush WAS well educated ;):P - Yale (didn't meet entrance standards but Grandpa was a trustee and big benefactor) followed by Harvard (ditto about entrance standards, but family clout works wonders).

Neither you nor I would have been admitted to Yale with Bush's high school record, and neither you nor I would have been admitted to Harvard with Bush's undergraduate record. He got in through what is called a legacy program - that is, an affirmative action program for the kids of alums or benefactors. Funny how vehemently he opposes affirmative action for poor kids.:(

So, as you correctly pointed out, GWB is a perfect example of how education and intelligence don't necessarily correlate.

Personally I suspect that the whole point of "Hollywood" opposing the war is being missed.

The point is PUBLICITY!!!!!!

I disagree. The point is that celebrities think they can actually sway the little people with their voice (ego, passion).

When a celebrity takes an extreme stand in politics, left or right, they basically trade contempt from a third of the population for adoration from another third, the last third not caring. This potentially costs them a lot of MONEY. Anyone here avoiding Sean Penn lately?

Losing money is not a good thing when the yacht payment is coming due, so the majority of celebrities keep a muzzle on themselves.

. . =(_8^(1)

That's right - Bush WAS well educated ;):P - Yale (didn't meet entrance standards but Grandpa was a trustee and big benefactor) followed by Harvard (ditto about entrance standards, but family clout works wonders).

Neither you nor I would have been admitted to Yale with Bush's high school record, and neither you nor I would have been admitted to Harvard with Bush's undergraduate record. He got in through what is called a legacy program - that is, an affirmative action program for the kids of alums or benefactors. Funny how vehemently he opposes affirmative action for poor kids.:(

So, as you correctly pointed out, GWB is a perfect example of how education and intelligence don't necessarily correlate.

I disagree. Maybe Daddy helped him get in, but he still had to do the work to get the grades to graduate.

>I disagree. Maybe Daddy helped him get in, but he still had to do the work to get the grades to graduate.

I'll disagree to that one, there was a child of a benifactor at UD recently that was failing all the classes but still passed at the end of the semester because his grandparents had given enough money to put up a few buildings and fund a department. How do I know? My Brother was assigned as his tutor.

A C at Yale is the lowest they will let you go before your gone.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>I disagree. Maybe Daddy helped him get in, but he still had to do the work to get the grades to graduate.

I'll disagree to that one, there was a child of a benifactor at UD recently that was failing all the classes but still passed at the end of the semester because his grandparents had given enough money to put up a few buildings and fund a department. How do I know? My Brother was assigned as his tutor.

A C at Yale is the lowest they will let you go before your gone.

Other than the anecdotal evidence you supplied, do you have proof that this was the case with GWB or are you just speculating?

He was holding the book upside down so he could read to the class and show the pages of the book at the same time. If you've ever have read to kids, I'm more then positive that you've done the same thing.

Before trying to pull something out to imply that GWB isn't intelligent, hows about you actually do a little research on it, instead of making yourself look like an ass. The folks on DZ.com already have talked about this pic, links to the actual story and proof of what I said was posted then too. You can get it from snopes.com.

(Sorry, I just get very very annoyed when people pull stupid crap like this out).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

its certainly possible to graduate any college without really putting in the effort. Nearly every fraternity/sorority has "study files" to help do your work for you..one of the downfalls of the current education system..far to many people mark time and graduate without ever having learned anything..

makes anyone who worked for themselves diploma that much less valuable..

possessing a piece of lambskin does not mean you actually know anything about the subject..

not to imply that bush did or did not do this, but the value of an education is defined by the time and energy YOU expend while getting it, not by the name of the institution on your diploma

Nearly every fraternity/sorority has "study files" to help do your work for you..

The outfit (unit) I was in in the Corps of Cadets had a "Quiz File." The only thing it had in it were old tests. That just helped you study, it didn't "help do my work for me." It just gave me some examples of past exams so I can better study the material.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"President George W. Bush: Received a Bachelors Degree from Yale
University and an MBA from Harvard Business School. He served as an
F-102 pilot for the Texas Air National Guard."

This sorry SOB wouldn't qualify for a bagboy at Safeway if it weren't for his "Bush" name and family connections.

His daddy kept his bacon out of the fire for his AWOL act in the National Guard and his coke arrest in `72 (doing comm service--while others picked cotton--then got it expunged from his record--along with a "fresh" driver's license--thanks to a chummy judge/Papa Bush relationship)

Most people don't know that GW got to the "head of the line" for the National Guard post. Retired Major General Thomas Bishop said there were "lengthy waiting lists in Texas" and that "we were full."

On his National Guard application asking whether he was interested in an overseas assignment, GW checked the "do not volunteer" box. What a hero!

Bush, although he enlisted as an airman basic in 5/68, got his 2nd Lt. commission a few months later--almost unheard of in military history!

Bush got assigned to the F-102, an obsolete fighter aircraft, made in 1953, that was phased out for Vietnam service--guaranteeing GW would avoid Vietnam duty.

GW claims that he got into Yale and Harvard on his own merits, but there is plenty of evidence that his grandpa, Prescott Bush, the US Senator from Connecticut, got GW into Yale.

Despite being rejected form the U of Texas' law school, GW was miraculously accepted into the Harvard Business School.

Former Harvard classmates remember GW has a "hard partier" who would sit in the back of class with his bomber jacket on and his tobacco juice spit cup beside him.

Yeah--a real scholar there!

"Born on third base--thought he hit a triple."
--former presidential advisor, Paul Begala
“Keep your elbow up!"

"Since you've served in the military on foriegn soil, you can judge him, right?"

I'm not sure there's a point here. If I get your logic, then, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz, Perle, Cheney, Limbaugh et al have no right to say anything either.

But, to pick up on part of your "thought process" here: I would vehemently assert that, as a US citizen, I have the right to question the actions of my employee/hireling/servant (GW Bush). He is a piss-poor standard as far as CICs go.

I gather you don't dispute my "research"? Weren't quite ready for THAT, eh?
“Keep your elbow up!"