shift

Malfunction flash cards

In this day and age, I would think that the use of 1970's flashcards would be on the way out. Anybody use anything better? It would at least be nice to have the ability to make the gear and canopy colors those of your DZ gear. As inter-active as the world and our students are getting, holding old pictures over your students head seems pretty lame. Just a thought...

There are a couple of options, all vastly more expensive than many DZOs are willing to spend.

The first option is to project those images onto the ceiling.

The second option involves buying one of those fancy canopy control simulators and projecting the images into virtual reality goggles.

IanHarrop

Notice the color of the toggles on the mains...

Yeah, after all that work they did to get the shots, too bad about the toggles on main and reserve!

(Don't know about everyone else's gear, but I'm more used to Yellow for main, Red for reserve, rather than the reverse.)

pchapman

*** Notice the color of the toggles on the mains...

Yeah, after all that work they did to get the shots, too bad about the toggles on main and reserve!

(Don't know about everyone else's gear, but I'm more used to Yellow for main, Red for reserve, rather than the reverse.)

Actually the students don't tend to notice. Their focus is on the canopies. The toggle color is more of an annoyance to me than a problem for the students. :P
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

pchapman

Actually the students don't tend to notice.

Fair enough, not a problem at some DZ's.
I was thinking of a situation where a DZ mentions toggle colours as part of the training.

Oh we talk about toggle color for sure, lots. But what I've noticed is that when I am running the students through malfunctions they are focusing on the canopy so much they just never notice the toggles are the wrong colors. "Never" maybe an overstatement but after a full season of using those pictures maybe one or two students noticed and we teach a lot of FJ.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

MakeItHappen

Toggle colors are important when considering two out situations.

Absolutely true. I need to look more closely at this pic... looks like they're wrong

http://www.performancedesigns.com/images/galleries/malfunctions/content/side_by_side_large.html

Flash cards, vids etc are useful to show students AFTER training, but it is important during training not to befuddle them with too much information.

Showing a load of different malfunctions serves to sow confusion and doubt, and is not really necessary.

I used to spend a majority of training showing students what a good canopy LOOKS and FEELS like, drilling in canopy checks for a good canopy, and pointing out live jumpers under canopy. Quite simple.

The two key words are "Square" and "Stable" (i.e. not spinning).

Once they have that process cemented in, its easier to point out that anything that looks or feels different on "check" is likely to be a problem which may or may not require EP's.

The "feel" of a good or bad canopy can be demonstrated ad infinitum in pre jump harness drills.

Don't make the mistake that the more you show them is "better", because often it isn't.

Stick to the KISS principle and you can't go too far wrong.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....