jerry81

REUTERS; Child war casualties mount

Just so noone forgets that war boiled down to its essentials is still hell. :(

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The moaning of Aisha Ahmed, eight, fills the hospital's emergency ward.

One of hundreds of child victims in the 15-day-old U.S.-led war in Iraq, she lost one eye and her face and body are peppered with wounds from what must have been a storm of shrapnel.

"Mummy! I want my mummy. Where is my mummy?" Aisha kept muttering. Yet neither the nurse nor the neighbor trying to comfort her dared to answer.

Her four-year-old brother Mohammad died and her mother and other brother were in critical condition undergoing surgery for head and chest injuries. Her father and two sisters were all badly injured and in another hospital.

A neighbor said he saw missiles crash into Radwaniyeh, a remote area near Baghdad's airport on Wednesday morning.

To their misfortune, they live in an area that -- apart from their farm -- has a presidential palace complex and military positions. A total of 12 children and six adults were struck.

U.S. war headquarters in Qatar said that a farm at Radwaniyeh doubled as a military "command and control facility." Washington says it seeks to minimize civilian casualties in its war to oust President Saddam Hussein.

Aisha was with her cousin and neighbors playing in the garden during a lull in the fighting when a missile struck, the neighbor said.

"We heard the planes and then the big explosion. We saw these houses in flames, and ran to rescue them and get them out from under the rubble. We did not expect them to hit civilians during a lull," the neighbor said.

MANY VICTIMS CHILDREN

Aisha lay with dry blood on her clothes and her moans turned to screams when nurses tried to lift her to the operating theater for head surgery.

Doctor Ahmed Abdel Amir said children were bound to make up a large number of casualties because they are such a big proportion of Iraq's 26 million population.

Another child, Mohammad Kazem, seven, lay in the next bed with serum tubes strapped to him. He was hit by shrapnel in the stomach when a missile crashed near his home west of Baghdad.

"He is so terrified now. He trembles when he hears explosions. I keep on trying to calm him down. I keep telling him that nothing will happen to him any more.

"Whenever he hears the thud of explosions he grabs me. I stay hugging him and patting him until the bombings stop," said his mother, Madiha Mohsen Ali, 40.

"He does not sleep or eat. The only question he keeps asking is: 'mummy when will this banging stop?" she added.

Such scenes have become part of daily life in Iraq since the U.S.-led war started with a fierce air attack and a ground invasion on March 20.

Since then, U.S. planes have flown thousands of sorties, destroying Iraq's military buildings, infrastructure and ministries and sometimes civilian homes.

Most said the war, in which Iraq said 1,250 civilians were killed and 5,000 wounded, was particularly hard on children.

Mohammad al-Jammal, six, was also screaming from his wounds. He too had been standing outside his house when a missile struck, killing two people and sending shrapnel into his stomach, opening it to the intestines.

He lay with his father and mother reading Koranic prayers for him. They said he would be all right because "God is looking after him."

Mothers at the hospital compare notes on their children's traumas. Many speak of their terrified children crying relentlessly, trembling when they hear the bombings. They say their children refuse to eat or sleep.

They say their children are bewildered and depressed. There is little for them to do to get through the day and many fear the night when the bombardment normally resumes.

Reuters seems like a well balanced source. Worth checking out from time to time.

Just so noone forgets that war boiled down to its essentials is still hell. :(

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The moaning of Aisha Ahmed, eight, fills the hospital's emergency ward.

One of hundreds of child victims in the 15-day-old U.S.-led war in Iraq, she lost one eye and her face and body are peppered with wounds from what must have been a storm of shrapnel.

"Mummy! I want my mummy. Where is my mummy?" Aisha kept muttering. Yet neither the nurse nor the neighbor trying to comfort her dared to answer.

Her four-year-old brother Mohammad died and her mother and other brother were in critical condition undergoing surgery for head and chest injuries. Her father and two sisters were all badly injured and in another hospital.

A neighbor said he saw missiles crash into Radwaniyeh, a remote area near Baghdad's airport on Wednesday morning.

To their misfortune, they live in an area that -- apart from their farm -- has a presidential palace complex and military positions. A total of 12 children and six adults were struck.

U.S. war headquarters in Qatar said that a farm at Radwaniyeh doubled as a military "command and control facility." Washington says it seeks to minimize civilian casualties in its war to oust President Saddam Hussein.

Aisha was with her cousin and neighbors playing in the garden during a lull in the fighting when a missile struck, the neighbor said.

"We heard the planes and then the big explosion. We saw these houses in flames, and ran to rescue them and get them out from under the rubble. We did not expect them to hit civilians during a lull," the neighbor said.

MANY VICTIMS CHILDREN

Aisha lay with dry blood on her clothes and her moans turned to screams when nurses tried to lift her to the operating theater for head surgery.

Doctor Ahmed Abdel Amir said children were bound to make up a large number of casualties because they are such a big proportion of Iraq's 26 million population.

Another child, Mohammad Kazem, seven, lay in the next bed with serum tubes strapped to him. He was hit by shrapnel in the stomach when a missile crashed near his home west of Baghdad.

"He is so terrified now. He trembles when he hears explosions. I keep on trying to calm him down. I keep telling him that nothing will happen to him any more.

"Whenever he hears the thud of explosions he grabs me. I stay hugging him and patting him until the bombings stop," said his mother, Madiha Mohsen Ali, 40.

"He does not sleep or eat. The only question he keeps asking is: 'mummy when will this banging stop?" she added.

Such scenes have become part of daily life in Iraq since the U.S.-led war started with a fierce air attack and a ground invasion on March 20.

Since then, U.S. planes have flown thousands of sorties, destroying Iraq's military buildings, infrastructure and ministries and sometimes civilian homes.

Most said the war, in which Iraq said 1,250 civilians were killed and 5,000 wounded, was particularly hard on children.

Mohammad al-Jammal, six, was also screaming from his wounds. He too had been standing outside his house when a missile struck, killing two people and sending shrapnel into his stomach, opening it to the intestines.

He lay with his father and mother reading Koranic prayers for him. They said he would be all right because "God is looking after him."

Mothers at the hospital compare notes on their children's traumas. Many speak of their terrified children crying relentlessly, trembling when they hear the bombings. They say their children refuse to eat or sleep.

They say their children are bewildered and depressed. There is little for them to do to get through the day and many fear the night when the bombardment normally resumes.

Reuters seems like a well balanced source. Worth checking out from time to time.

Although we mustn't forget the suffering of innocents that results from war, traumatic though it is, we must keep in mind that the brutality of Saddam's regime caused untold suffering long before we ever showed up, and would have continued had we not decided to intercede.

Yes, it's heartbreaking to see little kids getting harmed like this, but it's for them that this action is being taken.

Reuters is a pretty good info source.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

>Yes, it's heartbreaking to see little kids getting harmed like this,
>but it's for them that this action is being taken.

Would you tell their parents that? (Or, to be more accurate, would you tell them that if they were still alive?)

War is the worst thing in the world. In a war, it's OK to blow the eyes out of an eight year old girl. It's OK to kill half a family, or blow a van full of women and children to bits. To our credit we try not to do that too often, but when it comes right down to it, we are perfectly willing to risk that sort of 'collateral damage.'

War is NOT fought "for them," any more than we dropped bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to save the people of those cities. We did it to win the war more quickly, and we will fight this war for the same reason - to win. Using a blinded eight year old girl to show how the war is being fought for the children is nonsense.

Yes, it's heartbreaking to see little kids getting harmed like this, but it's for them that this action is being taken.

Sorry man, that's one of the explanations for this war that I can't accept. Kids were probably suffering when Saddam was still a friend of the US and they continue to suffer throughout the world, yet I don't see grand-scale humanitarian actions being carried out or even planned by USA.
Even though the Iraqi civilians might profit from your victory, they are probably very low on the list of reasons for war.

I'd still like to see how we're going to get out of this with an Iraq who is peaceful towards the US. Everyone here who is against the war still supports the our men and women who are over there risking their lives. Yet, we think that the Iraqi people won't care that that their family members in the Armed forces and their civilian relatives are being killed.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

>Yes, it's heartbreaking to see little kids getting harmed like this,
>but it's for them that this action is being taken.

Would you tell their parents that? (Or, to be more accurate, would you tell them that if they were still alive?)

Yes, I would.

In a war, it's OK to blow the eyes out of an eight year old girl. It's OK to kill half a family, or blow a van full of women and children to bits. To our credit we try not to do that too often, but when it comes right down to it, we are perfectly willing to risk that sort of 'collateral damage.'

War is NOT fought "for them," any more than we dropped bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to save the people of those cities. We did it to win the war more quickly, and we will fight this war for the same reason - to win.

If that was all it was about, we would have blown that mosque to kingdome come when the Iraqis were fighting from it the other day.

Using a blinded eight year old girl to show how the war is being fought for the children is nonsense.

No, it's not "okay". Sometimes, hard choices have to be made. That includes risking civilian fatalities and maimings when attacking a brutal regime. Restraint, respect and chivalry are being shown, while Saddam's goons are shooting women in the back for trying to escape.

Yes, it won't mean much to those caught in the crossfire, but I don't want to hear again how "It's just about the oil".

I'm sorry about the injuries and deaths that are being caused, but I'm also looking beyond it.

That includes risking civilian fatalities and maimings when attacking a brutal regime

We have yet to prove to the world that we are doing the right thing so we must place more risk upon ourselves (yes, risk our own lives) so that we don't risk those we are trying to "liberate". This is a state vs. faction conflict and we cannot use the state vs. state methods we did in the first Gulf War.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'm sorry about the injuries and deaths that are being caused, but I'm also looking beyond it.

That's good. I've a feeling many Americans can get completely caught up in the drama when it gets to POWs/MIAs and their own soldiers dying.:|

Kids were probably suffering when Saddam was still a friend of the US and they continue to suffer throughout the world, yet I don't see grand-scale humanitarian actions being carried out or even planned by USA.
Even though the Iraqi civilians might profit from your victory, they are probably very low on the list of reasons for war.

Well said Jerry, that sums up how I feel too. Saddam was just as evil in the eighties, only difference was then America needed him as an ally against Iran.

BTW amazing how well Saddam managed to hide his WMD, the coalition forces still haven't managed to find any. I guess now Bush will just say that they were all destroyed entirely by coalition bombing raids - a further success. ;)

The main reason for this war might not be oil, but it sure as hell isn't liberating the Iraqi people either. Saddam has been a butcher since he came to power in 1979. I fail to accept that it took 24 years to finally decide that invading Iraq was for the good of the Iraqi people. One of the biggest threats facing global security right now is a gung ho right wing American president who believes he has carte blanche to 'smoke out' whoever he thinks is evil. If this was a western movie and he was John Wayne that would be cool, but he is the leader of the most powerful country in the world. He might not know better but I do hope that after this conflict he gets advised better (ie not by Rumsfeld and Cheney).

Will

Yes, it won't mean much to those caught in the crossfire, but I don't want to hear again how "It's just about the oil".

isnt it great that you have that option...

Im very tired at the moment and i know im not thnking very clearly but ive taken your argument to mean: we are fighting this war to free that little girl. its not ok that she personally got hit but it is ok to accept collateral damge (a phrase i loathe) in order to free all the other children. - is that right?

by the same logic then it would be ok to use children as test animals for vaccines and drugs because while the subject might die, its so important for all the other children who might get sick in the future?
Ends dont justify means. And hey the war isnt all about the oil - but it sure as hell isnt all about the humanitarian issues - if it was why is iraq the only country that has to be invaded?

Re missing the mosque - that wasnt to protect the mosque, that was to protect the US from screams of sacrilege and abomination..imo.

Genie

>If that was all it was about, we would have blown that mosque to
> kingdome come when the Iraqis were fighting from it the other day.

If we had to do that to win, or even to save a few american soldiers, that mosque would be rubble faster than you can say GBU. Our not killing everyone in that mosque is primarily evidence that we don't need to do that to win the war. Not blowing it up _and_ showing respect for the beliefs of the people inside it was a good move, though.

>Restraint, respect and chivalry are being shown, while Saddam's
>goons are shooting women in the back for trying to escape.

Our 'goons' did the same to a van full of women and children who were trying to escape a few days ago. Again, such is war. I wouldn't use the "respect and chivalry" angle to try to defend either side; it is what people do during war. Killing the people in that van is defensible because it's war, not because there is a moral plus for killing them.

>Yes, it won't mean much to those caught in the crossfire, but I don't
>want to hear again how "It's just about the oil".

OK, but I also don't want to hear about how "it's all about freeing the Iraqis." Both statements are false. It's for about a dozen reasons, most of them not so noble.

>I'm sorry about the injuries and deaths that are being caused, but
>I'm also looking beyond it.

I am too, simply because the deaths are going to happen no matter what now (and will get a lot worse in coming days.) I hope we can look far enough beyond it to avoid the _next_ war.

isnt it great that you have that option...

Im very tired at the moment and i know im not thnking very clearly but ive taken your argument to mean: we are fighting this war to free that little girl. its not ok that she personally got hit but it is ok to accept collateral damge (a phrase i loathe) in order to free all the other children. - is that right?

by the same logic then it would be ok to use children as test animals for vaccines and drugs because while the subject might die, its so important for all the other children who might get sick in the future?
Ends dont justify means. And hey the war isnt all about the oil - but it sure as hell isnt all about the humanitarian issues - if it was why is iraq the only country that has to be invaded?

Re missing the mosque - that wasnt to protect the mosque, that was to protect the US from screams of sacrilege and abomination..imo.

Genie

Please read my earlier remarks in reply to billvon.

No, it's not okay. In war, innocents die.

Please read this, especially this quote:

"Every human being is against war. Iraqis are against war. But this is a war against the most dangerous monster ever created. For 30 years our people go to bed and wake up every morning to see pictures of Saddam. School textbooks have his picture on the front page. Two of my sisters and one brother are still in Iraq, hiding in the mountains in the north. Iraqi people are willing to pay the price of the war to get rid of him, so the next generation do not have to live in fear. We have sacrificed millions of people in the last 30 years in torture and genocide.”

Maybe your heart will bleed a little less now.

"We have to kill them or else they will die" (c) South Park.

It truly sucks there are so many brainwashed people in US...

bsbd!

Yuri.

>
Our 'goons' did the same to a van full of women and children who were trying to escape a few days ago. Again, such is war. I wouldn't use the "respect and chivalry" angle to try to defend either side; it is what people do during war. Killing the people in that van is defensible because it's war, not because there is a moral plus for killing them.

You have reached a new low, "GOONS". What should thery have done, let them roll right into them and not done anything to defend themselves.

The "GOONS" are the assholes that forced them to drive into the checkpoint.

To call those men at the checkpoint GOONS in inflamatory and totally disrespectful. And YOU are a moderator, you should have better sense that to post something as inflamatory as that.

Hey HH, time to bounce someone.
Who Dares Wins

This war is NOT about liberating Iraqi children. It is part of Paul Wolfowitz plan for the USA to gain contro of the middle east in the post-Soviet Union era. This war has been on paper since the early 1990's. A small group of neo-conservative men -- Republicans -- all in top positions -- none elected -- would see the Un eliminated becasue they see it as a hinderance to US world domination. Even now, Rumsfeld wants no UN contribution to the rebuilding of Iraq. He thinks it should be a USA controlled endeavour. Wolfowitz hopes that once the USA is done changing the government in Iraq, people in Syria and Iran will -- with support for Uncle Sam -- will "rise up" and change their governments ... to a USA friendly administration. Then the USA can build more military bases in the middle east, and gain control of natural resources and stratgeic territory.

THAT is what this war is about. Remember -- the money trail from 9/11 leads to Saudi Arabia, NOT Iraq ... and none of the men on those planes were from Iraq. As far as a "threat tto the USA" ... N Korea poses much more of a threat to Americans that Iraq does ... but like I said, then plans to attack Iraq were drawn up by Wolfowitz in the early 1990's ... 9/11, while terrible and horrific, made a convienent excuse the American public would buy for attacking SH.

Geez, and I thought the extremist nonsense on the right was far-out...B|

I would've thought the fact that he put it in ' ' made it fairly obvious that he was saying that this was how people on the other side of the conflict might view the soldiers at that check-point (all a matter of perspective). Seemed pretty obvious to me...

[shrugs]

>You have reached a new low, "GOONS". What should thery have
> done, let them roll right into them and not done anything to defend
> themselves.

I did not call them goons. I put "goons" in quotes because I specifically do NOT consider them such. They are soldiers doing what soldiers do during wartime, defending themselves and their comrades.

Contrary to popular opinion, quotes are not used as emphasis, but rather to indicate a reference to what someone else said.

>Wolfowitz hopes that once the USA is done changing the government
> in Iraq, people in Syria and Iran will -- with support for Uncle Sam --
> will "rise up" and change their governments ... to a USA friendly
> administration. Then the USA can build more military bases in the
> middle east, and gain control of natural resources and stratgeic
> territory.

I don't think that's the objective. The "domino theory" of democracy has been discussed and discarded. There are a lot of reasons for this war, and they range from humanitarian (i.e. stopping some serious human rights abuses) to practical (a new government will require less 'management' by the US) to financial (a stable government in that region will help stabilize oil prices.) People's political leanings tend to determine which of them are the most valid, but I think the 'true reason' for the war is a combination of all of them.

You have reached a new low, "GOONS".

Read Bill's post again. Quotations were used, hinting that the term goons was not to be taken literally.

Anyway, I fear this thread is just a couple of similar posts away from being deleted. I do admit my starting post did touch a sensitive subject, but, damn, I didn't mean to open another left-right flaming front.

Geez, and I thought the extremist nonsense on the right was far-out...B|

Really? Take a look at this site and what their membership and positions are. http://www.newamericancentury.org

For some independent viewpoints on the "New American Century" group, google "wolfowitz cabal"

Here's their "Statement of Principles". Take a good look at the signatures.

June 3, 1997

American foreign and defense policy is adrift. Conservatives have criticized the incoherent policies of the Clinton Administration. They have also resisted isolationist impulses from within their own ranks. But conservatives have not confidently advanced a strategic vision of America's role in the world. They have not set forth guiding principles for American foreign policy. They have allowed differences over tactics to obscure potential agreement on strategic objectives. And they have not fought for a defense budget that would maintain American security and advance American interests in the new century.

We aim to change this. We aim to make the case and rally support for American global leadership.

As the 20th century draws to a close, the United States stands as the world's preeminent power. Having led the West to victory in the Cold War, America faces an opportunity and a challenge: Does the United States have the vision to build upon the achievements of past decades? Does the United States have the resolve to shape a new century favorable to American principles and interests?

We are in danger of squandering the opportunity and failing the challenge. We are living off the capital -- both the military investments and the foreign policy achievements -- built up by past administrations. Cuts in foreign affairs and defense spending, inattention to the tools of statecraft, and inconstant leadership are making it increasingly difficult to sustain American influence around the world. And the promise of short-term commercial benefits threatens to override strategic considerations. As a consequence, we are jeopardizing the nation's ability to meet present threats and to deal with potentially greater challenges that lie ahead.

We seem to have forgotten the essential elements of the Reagan Administration's success: a military that is strong and ready to meet both present and future challenges; a foreign policy that boldly and purposefully promotes American principles abroad; and national leadership that accepts the United States' global responsibilities.

Of course, the United States must be prudent in how it exercises its power. But we cannot safely avoid the responsibilities of global leadership or the costs that are associated with its exercise. America has a vital role in maintaining peace and security in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. If we shirk our responsibilities, we invite challenges to our fundamental interests. The history of the 20th century should have taught us that it is important to shape circumstances before crises emerge, and to meet threats before they become dire. The history of this century should have taught us to embrace the cause of American leadership.

Our aim is to remind Americans of these lessons and to draw their consequences for today. Here are four consequences:

• we need to increase defense spending significantly if we are to carry out our global
responsibilities today and modernize our armed forces for the future;

• we need to strengthen our ties to democratic allies and to challenge regimes hostile to our interests and values;

• we need to promote the cause of political and economic freedom abroad;

• we need to accept responsibility for America's unique role in preserving and extending an international order friendly to our security, our prosperity, and our principles.

Such a Reaganite policy of military strength and moral clarity may not be fashionable today. But it is necessary if the United States is to build on the successes of this past century and to ensure our security and our greatness in the next.

Elliott Abrams Gary Bauer William J. Bennett Jeb Bush

Dick Cheney Eliot A. Cohen Midge Decter Paula Dobriansky Steve Forbes

Aaron Friedberg Francis Fukuyama Frank Gaffney Fred C. Ikle

Donald Kagan Zalmay Khalilzad I. Lewis Libby Norman Podhoretz

Dan Quayle Peter W. Rodman Stephen P. Rosen Henry S. Rowen

Donald Rumsfeld Vin Weber George Weigel Paul Wolfowitz

I think the 'true reason' for the war is a combination of all of them.

I agree.

I don't think that's the objective. The "domino theory" of democracy has been discussed and discarded.

Ya ... Wolfowitz's proposal, considerer "extreme" by most, were withdrawn in the early 90's by the administration of the day ... that was then -- this is now.

practical (a new government will require less 'management' by the US) to financial (a stable government in that region will help stabilize oil prices.)

SAme thing I said, different choice of worlds. It all equals USA control of the region.

humanitarian (i.e. stopping some serious human rights abuses)

Do you really believe your government would send American soldiers to their deaths for "humanitarian" reasons ... would the USA really spend hundreds of billions on a humanitarian cause in a country on the other side of the world? I don't believe so ... it's all about power and control. Remember, the Taliban and SH were friends of the USA not too long ago ...

BS! You are more professional than that and more than anyone else know how inflamatory your choice of wording was. If you didn't mean it then you should have never even used the word. It's kinda like using the "N" word, sorry, wasn't me, I meant someone else was saying it.

This is starting to get kinda dejavu, as I recall the folks that yelled and screamed at me in the airport in '70 when I came home from RVN.
Who Dares Wins

> would the USA really spend hundreds of billions on a humanitarian
> cause in a country on the other side of the world?

I don't think they would if that was the _only_ reason, but given a few other reasons (like someone who is an enemy of the US, someone who might be a threat, someone who is messing with our foreign trade etc) it could be the final straw.