dropdeded

Firearm F#cked Up

Sig 226? Hmmmm, ok, last time I talked to a couple guys I know (former Students, aka Aggies) on Seal teams, they said they were using Glocks. That was quite a while back, though.B|

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just because the military adopts it as its standard, it doesn't mean its good.

Holy shit! A weapon-related post where I agree with AggieDave. :o;)

If people only knew how many military and other government equipment contracts were won just because somebody was the lowest bidder.... :S

Got to say, I have really been impressed with mine. Bought it used, in excellent condition, with two hicap mags and haven't been disappointed. I have shot thousands of rounds through it and have never had a malfunction of any type regardless of type of ammo used................extremely accurate right out of the box.

With the cheap Winchester White Box ammo, you can shoot the balls of a flea with my CZ75B. :ph34r:

I've had one Mal in mine in about 3,000. But I blame the primer. It was a Wolf bullet, I pulled the trigger twice more, and it fired. I call it a bad primer.

As far as against a 1911. My buddy, combat Vietnam vet that "retired" from that war with an AK round to the face calls my pistol "Hoser". Because the cops "hose" people down with them. Shot placement is kind more important with a 9. Even the military, sure they use hi cap mags, but SOP is two to the chest, one to the head. Turns it into a five target pistol.

Funny, but his wife liked my CZ better, so he bought her one :ph34r:

----------------------------
bzzzz

When talking military specs it's worse for the 9. There's a geneva convention rule that ammo must be fmj ball ammo, no hollow points, etc.

That's a good point. Soft point, or hollow pts. are out for military actions. Somehow I forgot about this. I've heard some reasoning behind this, but still wonder why. With all the high tech. weapons out there, that are deadly has hell itself, why would something like hollowpoints be considered against the rules?

I remember a true story of a policeman who was shot through the chest with a M-16 and ball ammo. He went to the hospital and the doctor put a band-aide on the entrance and exit wound and then sent him home. So anyhow I can see your point a 45 would probably leave a whole lot bigger hole than a 9mm. I still love shooting a 9mm. though with little recoil, high magazine capacity, etc. but maybe a 45 would be better with ball ammo in a fire-fight. Steve1

Well, I was a Glock armorer, once upon a time. That's my choice 21, 30, 36.

The Beretta 9mm was issue at my agency, and you could carry any optional .40 or .45. They even authorized 1911's cocked and locked after I retired.

Anyhow, nothing wrong with a clean, properly lubricated, annually inspected Beretta. I just think it's silly to have such a big piece just to shoot 9mm. Accurate, though, nice long site radius, and heavy, so recoil is not a problem. They're fun to take apart when someone is pointing one at you, too! Grab the slide, depress the slide release, rotate the other side, and strip off the slide. Voila! Stunned student! (Unload weapon prior to performing tricks)

So fess up, and pay to have it fixed. (not you AggieDave, but we never did get out shootin in AZ, did we, and I brought pistols and ammo, too!:P)

Yeah, I thought most special teams were using the SIG, but SEALS used Glock 17's with the maritime spring clips because they were the best at resisting fouling when they get wet.

I've often wondered about SEAL teams and the weapons they carry. Do they use any special type of ammo, that is water resistant? I know they often swim with their weapons, and then fire them. You'd think water might enter around the primer. (Maybe not).

I once knew a guy who hunted geese by floating down a river, here in Montana in the late Fall. He'd float down with a shotgun on his chest. He'd wear a wet suit and fins. He'd pour the water out of his barrel, pop up, and then start blasting away when he got within range. I guess skydivers aren't the only folks who might be considered crazy. At any rate he used regular shotgun shells, and I think they worked fine.....Steve1

CZ75, never mal's never breaks, accurate. The Czhec folks took the best parts of the 1911 and made a sweet 9.

"Chescka Zbrojovka"- Man, that was the most wanted handgun during the war here. It did showed the best of all hg's that was used here.

That's a good point. Soft point, or hollow pts. are out for military actions. Somehow I forgot about this. I've heard some reasoning behind this, but still wonder why. With all the high tech. weapons out there, that are deadly has hell itself, why would something like hollowpoints be considered against the rules?

Well, you also aren't allowed to engage personnel with a .50BMG, but you can laze a person sitting in an office and call for lazer-guided munitions to be sent to that pos. Interesting huh? Hollowpoints are considered inhumane by the GC, as if shooting someone in the first place is humane.

If you can find some verifiable source to the "true story" you reference, I would love to see it. No offense, but the shock cavity from a 62-gr. .223 fmj traveling say 2700fps is not something you'd place a band-aid over and then send the person home.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Hell yes, a little neosporin and a bandaid and you'd be good as new.

Love to hear the story behind it, but it's screaming AD to me!

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Found it on another site. The story was that a guy was behind the line at a range reached up to adjust his cap and some fool on the firing line chambered a round and cocked the hammer on his P226, then decided he needed to go do something else and laid it down on the bench (obviously not pointing down range) and it "just went off".

Sounds fishy to me though.

Shhhhhhh. Damn it. Delete that. The anti's might hear that and send it off to to the evil sarah brady et al. Guns going off by themselves? oh the horror!!!

I still say it is a classic AD. From the powder burns, I bet he was doing that thing where you rack the slide by holding the pistol in your right hand pointing across and down in relation to your body. Grasping the slide with the non shooting hand, therefore pointing the barrel right at the meaty part of the palm and when suddenly released, (with the finger on the trigger;) ) blam! A pair of new orifices!

O, I know they do it in the movies, but that doesn't mean it will work...safely, anyway...;)

mike

I was at Gunsite in AZ at a school and a guy pumped a .45 ball round through his foot. Meathead. If we handn't all seen it, he'd a hobbled away and just left. Looked about like that.

So much for the vaunted "hydrostatic" shock, huh?

Even the military, sure they use hi cap mags, but SOP is two to the chest, one to the head. Turns it into a five target pistol.

15 rounds= 5 Iraqi's
7 rounds= 2.333 Iraqi's

These are bad Iraqi's just so eveyone knows.

I am glad they switched from the 1911 to the Beretta. I like the 1911 and we have 2 of those as well. Beretta can be just effective, if not more.

As far as Glocks go, I don't think Glock's are bad, but Beretta's have proven themselves to me as good firearms.

Aggiedave,
The whole limp wristed shit just needed to be cleared up for me. I didn't say it was impossible, but it probably wouldn't have happened with a heavier gun. I won't use your term "real gun."

I like that tupperware comment. I will get my girlfriend a Glock someday for the kitchen.

BERETTAS have a known failure of the locking block and it occurs quite often around the stated round count and sometimes several hundred over the count. If memory serves me correctly that count was 3500 rds +/-. So it's not uncommon to see on civilain models as well.

Not all SOF units are using strictly 45's, glocks or SIGS. Actually it's a combo of all or some of the mentioned weapons and many still use the M9 Beretta. Models and manufactures vary from unit to unit in some cases. If you could see my icon better you would see that I am carrying a Glock, thats just the way things work depending on what you have to deal with at that time and mission specifics.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING