buff

Stolen list - does it help?

Has anyone ever got anytihing back because they posted on the stolen gear list? Riggers do you even check it?

I lent a supposed friend a reserve over a year ago and I can't get it back. I have contacted him via text and email and don't know his address now but he's had my shit since at least January of 2011 when I sent a main off for reline.

For a couple of years, he's supposed to be getting a PDR143 but that's never happened. Engineer, TI and makes good money but instead all I see on FB is a new boat and exotic vacation pics.

Should I post my shit in the stolen gear list or file a police report, or both. I want to sell the rig but don't really want to part it out. The longer I stay in this sport, the more I realize that you have no friends below 2K and none on the ground either.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I've fortunately not had anything stolen yet. My theory on the stolen gear lists (either this one or the USPA one, etc.) is that there's absolutely no downside to putting your info there and there may be an upside. And once you've confirmed something as stolen, yes, a police report is definitely in order, as it'll likely be required if you ever want to file an insurance claim, and sometimes stuff does turn up through police work.

The stolen gear lists are most helpful when there's gear for sale and something seems fishy about it. If I were a buyer in that circumstance, first thing I'd do is check those databases.

As for your case, I'd make a few more proactive attempts to contact him - see if you can track him down through mutual contacts. If he's working as a TI, maybe reach out to his DZO to see if the DZO can help you get in contact with him. If you've done all that and still are getting no response, I'd make it clear that you'll be reporting it stolen and then do it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I don't check it, but then again almost all of my repacks are for friends whom I would trust with my gear.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Obviously he was a friend whom I trusted with my gear but when it does not come back and he avoids the responsibility of purchasing his own.....

The DZO would be of no help since we are not on speaking terms and I'm not welcome on his DZ. When I stopped jumping at the local DZ, all the locals stopped talking to me. My rigger who rigged for me and the DZ for years has dropped out of sight and is no longer a TI there either. I have the S/N but it's in his rigger's log too.

As I thought, a rigger who knows the usual jumpers would not bother to check a stolen gear list.

I guess I'll file a police report,

I don't think any good will would come of me going out and pulling the handle on the sport rig while he's up on a tandem. Probably get arrested for tresspass or some shit and I don't need that. Just want my shit back.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I would file a police report. If they don't do something with the information you give them about where the stolen property can be found, then go get it yourself, removing it from the rig. If cops are called, then they will perhaps be more likely to do something about it, or the thief and DZO might want to avoid trouble by letting you have it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Correct on the police report. If somthing is stolen, to recover it, you start with a police report. The Officer/detective will probably start with the basis for the transfer of the possession of the item, from you to him, and the agreement for it's loan or usage and the understanding of how and when it would be returned to you. If it is not clear that it is actually stolen, (taking from another with criminal intent) but is more in the nature of a disagreement, it becomes a civil matter and you would then seek recourse by a lawsuit.

^
|

That

In my experience, as soon as you tell the cops that you loaned it, they are out of it because it's now a civil matter.

YMMV

Send Guido to get it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Years ago, we had a guy show up at our DZ claiming to have a hundred jumps or so. He had a little pocket-rocket rig and full camera helmet that he wanted to jump. He didn't "seem" right.

The DZO took the rig to inspect it and checked it again the lists. It was listed.
Owned by Remi #?

I'm the "friend" that was loaned the reserve because I didn't have one.

Funny thing about this story is, the OP has never sent me a single text/email/call asking about his reserve. He's been to my apt on several occasions and knows exactly where I live. In fact he showed up to the dz a few months back to pick up a newly repacked rig and never said a word to me.

Police report? Stolen? Maybe if you simply called and asked for it back I would have known you wanted it back :S

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I'm the "friend" that was loaned the reserve because I didn't have one.

Funny thing about this story is, the OP has never sent me a single text/email/call asking about his reserve. He's been to my apt on several occasions and knows exactly where I live. In fact he showed up to the dz a few months back to pick up a newly repacked rig and never said a word to me.

Police report? Stolen? Maybe if you simply called and asked for it back I would have known you wanted it back :S

Implicit in a "loan" is the assumption that you should give it back to him after some reasonable point in time. He shouldn't have to ask for it, you should just do it. However, he should at least ask before making a police claim that you stole it.

So, how long did you jump this guy's on-loan reserve?

I'm still jumping it. Well, as of last weekend. It'll be coming out of my rig tomorrow since I now know he wants it back.

It's been about a year, and it was a reserve from a backup rig of his that sits in the closet. Quite frankly I don't fun jump a whole lot anymore so I really forgot about it until I saw this thread.

Moral of the story:

Stolen gear list - reasonably helpful
Asking for your property back - also helpful
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

The OP says:

I have contacted him via text and email and don't know his address now but he's had my shit since at least January of 2011 when I sent a main off for reline.

...While you say:

the OP has never sent me a single text/email/call asking about his reserve. He's been to my apt on several occasions and knows exactly where I live. In fact he showed up to the dz a few months back to pick up a newly repacked rig and never said a word to me.

These versions are pretty much irreconcilable.

They are very different. I am equally surprised as this is all news to me.

After finding this thread I contacted him and we've been discussing it the last few hours. It will be returned in the next few days. Quite the miscommunication but it has been solved.
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I'm still jumping it. Well, as of last weekend. It'll be coming out of my rig tomorrow since I now know he wants it back. It's been about a year, and it was a reserve from a backup rig of his that sits in the closet. Quite frankly I don't fun jump a whole lot anymore so I really forgot about it until I saw this thread.

When he gave it to you as a loaner, the assumption would be that the loan should only last as long as it takes you to acquire a new reserve for yourself. It was just something to tide you over that acquisition period. And that's maybe two or three months. But by using it for an entire year, you have taken advantage of his generosity. And during that year, he no longer had the use of his backup rig if he had needed it, so he may have suffered because of your inattention to the matter. You also should not have "forgotten" it - that shows that it just wasn't a priority for you to return the borrowed property, and that you didn't treat the loan with the proper respect that you should have.

After hearing of this, Skypiggie certainly wouldn't loan you anything of hers.

Good thing I don't plan on borrowing anything from you :S

Since when are you the judging authority on how long someone can loan something? Like I said two or three times, if he was "suffering" from not having it he would have asked and it would have been in his hands the next day. We were very close, he would have called and said "hey fucker give me my reserve i need it" and that would be the end of it.

I apologize that my loaning etiquette during this time was not up to skypiggie's desired level. Like I said already, it has been resolved and cleared up and I'm pulling it out tomorrow.

I love internet forums. Everyone is the perfect human specimen :D

Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

The DZO would be of no help since we are not on speaking terms and I'm not welcome on his DZ. When I stopped jumping at the local DZ, all the locals stopped talking to me. My rigger who rigged for me and the DZ for years has dropped out of sight and is no longer a TI there either. I have the S/N but it's in his rigger's log too.

I was made aware of this thread a couple of days ago, but didn't really read through it.

I wouldn't normally air stuff like this in public, but this seems to be the vehicle that Buff has chosen. I am the DZO mentioned above.

First, Buff is welcome at my DZ. Yes, I was very upset with him, he quit as an instructor because he was in a pissing contest with one or two other instructors. He told those two that he was done instructing and left. The next Saturday morning, he was scheduled to run the FJC, didn't show up, I called him, and this is when Buff informed me that he had quit by telling two other instructors the weekend before. By the end of the conversation, I related my feelings on the subject in very frank terms.

Move forward a couple of weeks, I left messages with Mike (Buff) asking to get together to talk and see if we could work it out. I offered to meet at a bar, and buy him a couple of beers. This received no reply.

Buff and I have since had a very cordial and respectful conversation relative to a recent fatality.

To my knowledge none of the regular jumpers at ACDZ have refused contact with Buff. Those who were his friends before the falling out, to this day only express sadness at the loss of his presence at the DZ.

I'll say it again. Buff has never been banned, he has always been welcome, and those who were his friends are still his friends. He dropped his instructional ratings, the problems were all based around instructors picking at each other. I don't care if he ever has desire to instruct again. Come out and fun jump.

Buff, let me know when and where, I'll buy you a couple of beers and we'll see if we can move past this.

Martin Myrtle
DZO
Air Capital Drop Zone
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Buff, let me know when and where, I'll buy you a couple of beers and we'll see if we can move past this.

Martin Myrtle
DZO
Air Capital Drop Zone

Very nice and respectfully way to say forget the old shit and come back.
The world need more mans like you! :)

I hope Buff takes you up on your offer. I myself liked having him around the DZ. He is the type of jumper who brought the DZ a upbeat and likeable personality that made it fun to hang out and he treated everyone like family. What ever happened it didn't change anyone that I know that would make him someone who is shunned. Buff is a very learned person and shared a lot to me and others whether it had to skydiving or life itself. It is sad for him to not be there. I have always thought that this DZ is one that is not the one that has the drama BS that some DZ's have. On the same note it still has some drama but it is more like family quarrels that every family should have. I don't think that what happened couldn't be fixed by a hand shake and a hug, or even a Fuck You and lets get back together, settled. I know I am not perfect and don't think anyone is. I was flipping some guy off in traffic the other day while he was screaming at me. If I met him now I'm sure we could still be friends and laugh about what happened. Life is to short for anger. I just wanted to give my two cents. The skydiving community always seams to be a family that has it's ups and downs. I know my family is the same. In the end I still Love them.
I would love to jump again with ya' Buff at the DZ.

I hope Buff takes you up on your offer.

Me too, to date no response. I'm sure that Buff is aware of my post, he started this thread so one would assume that he has a "watch" on it. I made the same offer over a year ago, the ball's in his court.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ