Casch

Travel Agents...are they any good?

Ok, not that I have any money to spend on travelling at the time being, but I have to know. Are travel agents of any use today? Can I really get a better deal if I go down the street and have someone else plan my trip? How much does it cost to utilize such a source?

A good travel agent is a lifesaver. They aren't cheap (I think mine is $60 a trip) but if you are flying multi-city one-way legs you can save a lot of money. Somehow she can book 7 day advance fares, 1 day in advance, put me on Delta flights as if I was travelling in a large group and got their discount, etc.

Usually not needed for round trips.

My 2 cents

Travel Agents...are they any good?

Try them simmered with a light chicken stock, with some braised asparagus, new potatos and a nice Zinfandel.

Bon Apetit.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

i work in a travel agency as a salesperson, so consider this as a first hand advice, but take it with a pinch of salt:

we're good for planing someone's vacation or a trip, that is longer then 2 weeks, which includes many cities and many transport means....
but if you decide to make a shorter trip or vacation, then it is better to do it on your own, 'cause it's cheaper and you can do it just the way you like it the most.... but then you don't have anyone to be mad on if something goes wrong

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

I utilized a travel agent for my recent destination wedding/honeymoon. It was a great experience. I'm not sure how much of what I paid for the entire trip went toward the agent, but I know that even using the agent is was still a kick arsed deal for two people spending 7 nights/8 days at an all inclusive resort in the Bahamas.

I'd have to say that in the future I"ll go back this the travel agent again - simply for ease of utilization and lack of stress (since they're supposed to deal with the stress of travel :)

Zilla

The main reason I use a travel agent is cancellation insurance. If you buy airline tickets on-line or on the phone, you may not be able to get cancellation insurance. Not a big deal if you are leaving tomorrow, but it's very nice to have when you are planning a trip a few months away. Yes, an agent costs a bit more, but worth it if something prevents you from going on the trip and you want your $$ back.[:/]

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I think it kind of depends. These days, you can search online for best flight prices, but a travel agent has even more resources at their fingertips. A good travel agent will search for you for the best price and best arrangements, and it won't necessarily cost you anymore than doing it yourself through the net. You have to use them if you're doing an Apple Vacation or something like that, and they do sell the trip insurance which some people find to be useful.

But a short trip and you know where you are staying, I guess you could just search and book online and save a few bucks.

Since I am a travel agent I'll say they are great for certian things. For the simple flight itinerary it's cheaper to go on line. Now if this is a vacation with hotels and cars involved an agent is the way to go, we can get packages that will save you money. Many of my clients come in with what they've found on then internet and are surprised by how much I can save them.

FrogLady

Most agencies do not charge any extra for package vacations and honeymoons. The wholesales we purchase the packages from pay us a commission anywhere between 10-16% depending on how much business you do with them. This commission also give the agencies a chance to cut your costs so as not to be under sold by anyother agency.

By the way your wedding photos are beautiful.

FrogLady

I generally don't use travel agents. I often plan my own itineraries and book my own flights online.

The place where a good travel agent can come in handy is when you are going someplace really foriegn to you. A good travel agent has a lot of travel in their own background, and a wide network of friends in the industry whose opinions they trust. They steer you clear of traps you might not otherwise know about, and give you the heads-up on cool things you'd miss on your own.

That said, I think really high quality travel agents are becoming pretty rare. Most places seem to be little more than catalog salespeople and internet comparison shoppers that offer you nothing you can't do yourself and then charge you for it. The few remaining excellent agents cater to those who are willing to pay for the level of service they provide. To the folks that have enough money, I'm sure it is well worth it, but I don't count myself among that group.

Just my $.02, of course.

I've used them to get to Mexico a few times. My friends and I are "budget" travelers and usually stay at the 2 or 3 star resorts and we get great deals. In fact, for us, they are usually the cheapest way to get to Mexico. Usually, when we start planning our trip we go online and look for their specials. If they've got a good price "air only" for some place we want to go when we want to (or can) go, we'll do that and make our own hotel arrangements- (not a problem for a budget traveller in Mexico.) But we've also gotten really good deals with air and hotel included. Once we find the trip we want (at the price we want) we call a travel agent and make the arrangements. You have to use a ttravel agent to book an Apple vacation.

We don't usually do any of their tours or activities, though, because we have found it is much cheaper to make our own arrangements with the locals once we are there.

Where are you going??

maura

Apple Vacations are a good value, have been in business 25+ years. There are only a couple downsides when you go with a charter.
1. They don't go very day of the week.
2. If the flight is delayed or canceled for plane problems they don't have a bunch of other planes sitting at the airport to pull in as a replacement.

FrogLady

Thanks!

The girls are looking to do a "girl's vacation" to Mexico. We're looking for all-inclusive where we can drink foo-foo drinks with umbrellas and the most exhausting thing we'll be doing is walking to the beach.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

We try to do the chick trip to Mexico every year, but we don't do all inclusive. There are way too many good restaurants to eat at, and fun places to explore! Its all about personal choice, though! Hope you have fun!

There are a few reasons your finding less and less travel agents.
1. airlines no longer pay commission to agents,used to be 10%, this alone put about half the agencies out of business.
2. internet, this has caused agencies to close offices and become e-businesses. Personally I've found this helps me, people come into my office a lot more educated in what they want.
3. 9-11 hurt the whole travel industry. For obvious reasons people have become scared to travel.

As far as only booking high end travel, that depends on the agency you call. I'm more then happy to book the $399 special to Cancun or the $10,000 2 week safari. I just enjoy sending people on there dreams.

FrogLady

FrogLady,

I understand many of the reasons the travel agencies are hurting, and consolidating. I'm glad you survived that shakeout.

In talking about high-end travel, I didn't mean that a agency wouldn't help on an inexpensive trip. But I do think that the real value to the customer comes in when things get complicated and when you need the perspective of someone that has been where you are going, particularly overseas.

It also all depends on the traveler. I'm more of a do-it-yourself person. I arranged my honeymoon, which was somewhat convoluted.

4 weeks - 7 countries - 13 cities
Iceland
England
Scotland
Wales
Holland
Belgium
France

A combination of very divergent accommodations, from dirt cheap to very elegant. Planes, eur-rail passes, busses, tours, etc.

Our album:
http://www.jennandjustin.com/photos-family-honeymoon1.asp

I just enjoy sending people on there dreams.

Corny or not, that is a great reason to be a travel agent. :)

It's true that the value might not be as high for the client on an inexpensive trip, but if the price is the same why not give the business to an agency so we can be there in the future.

The album of your honeymoon is awesome, getting to travel and experience new places with your spouse is worth more than anything.

FrogLady

It's true that the value might not be as high for the client on an inexpensive trip, but if the price is the same why not give the business to an agency so we can be there in the future.

Honestly, I didn't think you (collectively) would want that particular business. Does it help you if I call up and say, "I found xyz flight on abc airline, with the 'Internet Special' rate of $###. Please book it for me"? If you aren't getting any kickback from the airline, I'm not sure where your profit comes in. That isn't even taking into account that by the time I pick up the phone to call, I could generally already have the tickets ordered. Maybe I'm missing something, but between the fare-comparison websites and low-fare carriers like Southwest, can you really get me a better deal on an airfare-only reservation?

The album of your honeymoon is awesome, getting to travel and experience new places with your spouse is worth more than anything.

Thanks! I agree. We both love to travel. Although we are now hauling a porta-crib. :$:)

Honestly, I didn't think you (collectively) would want that particular business. Does it help you if I call up and say, "I found xyz flight on abc airline, with the 'Internet Special' rate of $###. Please book it for me"? If you aren't getting any kickback from the airline, I'm not sure where your profit comes in. That isn't even taking into account that by the time I pick up the phone to call, I could generally already have the tickets ordered. Maybe I'm missing something, but between the fare-comparison websites and low-fare carriers like Southwest, can you really get me a better deal on an airfare-only reservation?

I refering more to the inexpensive air hotel vacation packages. I only do air only for friends and past customers, because I can't beat what you can find on the internet or directly with the airlines.

Congrats on the new family.

FrogLady