TheAnvil

Kickass Hubble Pic

I heard an interesting lecture from this NASA guy yesterday on the last Hubble reservicing mission. Very cool stuff if you're a space geek like me.

During the lecture he showed this cool pic. Though I'm heavily into space, it's from an engineering standpoint. I don't know much about astronomy, but everytime I see some of the pics the astronomers produce I'm amazed at the natural beauty of space.

This pic looks like an eyeball out there in Star Trek-land. Cool stuff. Thought some of you might get a kick out of it.

Beers,

Vinny
:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

EyeNebula.jpg

The Hourglass Nebula, I believe. It's the result of a supernova. Always struck me as amazing.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

yeah man, the pic is breathtaking!!

and guess what, i saw a partial eclipse of the sun today!! it started at 5:15am, right at the sunrise, end ended at 6:15... as the sun came up, it looked just like the moon when it's in the C resembling stage.... it was unreal...
B|

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

question.
wiat first lemme say AWESOEM PIC...

ok Question:
how the hell do they zoom in thousands of miles to take sucha picture and NOT have anything in the way....like stars?

I mean there would have to be something in the way and you cant just zoom passed it. anyone have an answer? all you photog's? Mr.VON..bill von?
I know its such a HUGE object theyre filming but there should be a star or two, NO? hmm:|

My photos

My Videos

ok Question:
how the hell do they zoom in thousands of miles to take sucha picture and NOT have anything in the way....like stars?

Not quite sure... they may have photo-shopped them out, although it looks like the red-eye reduction works a treat. ;)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Commom JT what kind of question is that? Every Astro Physisist know that the universe in 99.99999999999999999% empty.

The amount of open space is unfathomable. It is quite easy to take photos like such. HOWEVER, this picture is doctored. Almost all hubble pictures are "Doctored". The colors are not real. They are an artist/scientist interpretation of the colors that excited gasses would be.

Commom JT what kind of question is that? Every Astro Physisist know that the universe in 99.99999999999999999% empty.

The amount of open space is unfathomable. It is quite easy to take photos like such. HOWEVER, this picture is doctored. Almost all hubble pictures are "Doctored". The colors are not real. They are an artist/scientist interpretation of the colors that excited gasses would be.

That's not quite right - they know from spectral analysis and red-shift what the colors should be, and then they fix them up. You make it sound more like airbrushing the Playboy centerfold.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Ohhh comon' there's nothing wrong with airbrush!!!!

On a serious note though, there is some confusion on the "Red Shift" phenom.

We know that due to a gasses heat, and density it emitts some color. Also, due to its speed either away or toward us shifts to either red or blue. So, there is some question in the scientific world as to whether distant objects that can't be "well measured" are certain colors due to speed, or Temp.

Chris

What I am really saying is... is the color actual or percieved? In a red shift situation the color is not what it actually is, therefore it may be altered to show its true color. But what good does that do to the guy viewing from 200 lightyears away? He is seeing something else. IMHO they should just leave it as it is seen.

What I am really saying is... is the color actual or percieved? In a red shift situation the color is not what it actually is, therefore it may be altered to show its true color. But what good does that do to the guy viewing from 200 lightyears away? He is seeing something else. IMHO they should just leave it as it is seen.

I refer you Dutchboy....he was a physics major. :D