PurpleBadger

The problem of a life based on jumping...

Hey all... well i found out another problem of a life that revolves around jumping (apart from being totally broke)... it's called failing exams :( . I have a huge maths exam in about 8 hours time and I just kinda begun learning the course, i hadn't thought that i'd been spending to much time at the DZ... untill maybe now... please tell me that i'm not the only one and that if all goes to hell then i can always move to america, start packing and just live on a DZ ;)

You're definitely not the only one.
I took a calculus class this Spring, and on the day before the final test, I knew/remembered very little of the material. So I wake up early the next day, the test is at 2pm; I came to the university at ~7am, and for 7 hours was just reading and reading and reading. All in all, when I saw my final grade, it was higher than I expected, which means I passed that exam really well.

My point is that, strangely enough, the material of a whole course can be studied in a matter of hours, with proper motivation.

Don't get frustrated, just forget whatever you're doing now and open that book and study. Good luck.

I love Math. It's hard to believe that Failing Exams is a part of having your life revolving around jumping. Here at KSUPC, about 3/4 of the jumpers, JM's, and coaches are Engineers of some sort. Myself, I am an Actuary student.
However, studying at the DZ never works, so i can see how you can get in a crunch. (I've put myself into that corner all too often.)
Good luck, and take care of yourself for the test.
=========Shaun ==========

For me it wasn't so much the exams as the discrepancy
between the life I was seeing on the weekends at Elsinore
and the life I was seeing during the week in the math
department at Caltech.

So dropped out, got a job at JPL, and made 900 jumps
in the next 3 years :-) :-)

That was 1965.

So now I have no money, a lot of jump stories, and have
helped a lot of people learn to skydive, which is a better
outcome than being a grumpy old math professor inflicting
my views on a bunch of hapless math students.

Skr

So now I have no money, a lot of jump stories, and have
helped a lot of people learn to skydive, which is a better
outcome than being a grumpy old math professor inflicting
my views on a bunch of hapless math students.

And Skratch how we love your stories....and you!

Anybody know if GoFast sponsors Skydivers learning course material??? Cause the way I see it then fitting a recommended 240 hrs of study into 12 is pretty extreame B|

Luck to everyone else with exams ;)

p.s. Adi... I though that we had decided not to have discussions over the net...

Well, that was a very nice thing to say
any way you spell it :-)

It's been hard to get my brain into jump
story mode with all the people dying,
and trying to figure out what I think about
students and canopy training, and other
assorted turmoil.

Skr

Well.. if this is the case.. your studing the wrong books from the start. Put all the math books away, english, social science, history etc....ALL the books... accept that fact your a simple... broke... DZ groupie (not that there is anything wrong with that mind you, you just need to admit to it soon so you don't waste jump money on classes your doomed to fail anyway) pick up the SIM manual, and rigger course material, study the shit out of it while flying to altitude, become a rigger, live on jumps and Top Roman noodles and quit bugging us with your irrelavant school failures! :)

SMA#18