Shotgun

Cell Phones?

Speaking of Nextel (from another thread), I've been thinking about getting a cell phone and I've never really had one before. Looking at the many different companies and different plans is giving me a headache! :S So I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on choosing a cell phone? Any good or bad experiences with certain companies or certain phones?

I pretty much hate talking on the phone, so I don't plan to spend a lot of time on it - it's more of a necessity thing for certain situations, so I guess I don't need a lot of minutes... But being able to send email or pictures from the phone might be a cool feature...

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

I love, love, love Sprint. Where I live, the reception is great, the prices are fantastic and most of my friends have Sprint, so we call each other for free at any time and day of the week.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

I to have sprint. I have the free nights and weekends and man do i ever put that to good use! I think my total number of used minutes last month was like 1400 and i only payed for my $39.99 plan.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I am opposite. I hate SPRINT. They screwed me over. B|Gave me a faulty phone, replaced it with a good phone, but a faulty one too, then replaced it with a phone that was one grade lower than my original phone. I had call drop all over town (the second largest city in Iowa), and my nights didn't start until 9pm. I now have a bill over $400 because their tracking system of minutes sucks and somehow I used 3000 minutes in a month.... Hmmm. >:(

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

First figure out what you need. You can also check coverage areas on their web sites. I picked Nextel because incoming calls are free. I get more calls than I make. The walkie talkie feature is useful to me. Sprint sounds good if you have a lot of friends on Sprint. Determine your own needs and then pick a plan that most closely matches it. One word of caution, going over your minutes can be very expensive.

never pull low......unless you are

I love, love, love Sprint.

Sprint is sort of hit-or-miss depending on where you live. In Houston I get a lot of dropped signals. I got zero reception in Moab.

YMMV

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

they gave you a faulty phone? You buy the phone you want they don't just hand you one and say "you have to use this phone and no other!" Everyones nights start at 9 i do agree thats just a little on the late side though. If i were you i would call them up and bitch and moan until they do something. I did that one time when the timing for my new plan wasn't when i thought it was. It was all my fault but they knocked off alot of money.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

assuming you buy a good phone, Verizon has much better coverage areas than the others, I've consistantly had signal when the other FEs i work with did not..but if you dont travel that much it doesnt matter

i'd stay away from Alltel, i just found out they've been raping my friend for roaming charges when I call her from outside her area !?!? WTF?

I did a ton of research on who had the most expansive coverage (actual coverage, not what they claim) and also read a lot of comsumer opinions. Came up with Verizon on top. That's what I got and like it.

I agree; I switched from Sprint to Verizon for several reasons. First, the price on my Sprint service was becoming outrageous by comparison to the deals other services offered. Second, Sprint only guarantees coverage if you are near a major highway, where their towers are built. I got pretty sucky coverage from them, especially on some of the lonely back highways I've had to travel before. And if I'd had an emergency, I wouldn't have had any hope.
However, I've never had my Verizon cut out on me, and I've already travelled farther with it than I ever did with my Sprint. The rates are lower, and I get mobile to mobile minutes, which I didn't have with my Sprint service. Also, I like my phone better; it's held up very well under not-so-great treatment from me!

Blondes do have more fun!

With Sprint, if you have a call-drop, you are supposed to call in and have the minute credited back to you. I had call drops on my call drop calls. It was pathetic.

They don't just hand you a phone...

you are right, of course, so let me rephrase...
I bought a faulty phone first, then they replaced it with another faulty phone (the replacement phones you don't have a choice which one you get), and the replacement of that phone was worse than the one I originally bought.

That make more sence?

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

After being screwed by AT&T, I switched to US Cellular. My current $80/mo. plan has two phones/phone numbers sharing 800 anytime minutes (plus unlimited local night and weekend calls on one of the phones). I pay no roaming in 10 western states, nationwide long-distance is free as long as I'm in one of those 10 states, and the coverage is much more extensive than the strictly digital services such as Sprint. (I get analog coverage when driving between digital areas i.e. out in the boonies...this was necessary for me). All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Keely
ATT works well out here in the hinterlands. I've gotten great reception most places I've been. I use my cell
almost exclusively (I don't even know my land line number at home) and it's great because it's zero cost incoming or outgoing. Just decide how many minutes you'll be using a month and get a plan that covers them. I also get great rates on overseas calls with an optional $5 a month rider.

Check with other people who have cell in the area you'll be using your's the most. What works great in Texas might not in So Cal (or vice versa).

I'd let y'all know what the number is, but since I'm not an "old hand" I'm not eligible to receive or make drunk calls. Something about not being around long enough to be received into the community...

blues
kate

I have verizon. When I was picking (about a year ago) I looked at all the coverage maps and verizon was the only one that really covers most of the country. Maybe the others have caught up a little since then but some of them were pretty ridiculous. Check the coverage maps (CAFEFULLY) and if everywhere you tend to go is covered, then it doesn't matter which you go with. Verizon has been great for me. Also I found out a few weeks ago that I get 15% off verizon through work. I also get $25 on my account if I sign anyone up through a particular verizon sales rep. If you want verizon and want me to get $25, PM me and I'll give you her email.

Dave

my $.02 is for AT&T, I have found that in my area that have great coverge, I even get a signal out at my dropzone which is not close to civilization. Their calling plans are decently priced and they have good customer service.
I have a few friends that have T-Mobile, they say it really sucks, from horrible coverage to horrible customer service, but that is just what they say, I have no personal experience.

~La La Gang Member #2~

Verizon Wireless seemed like the best fit for my needs. Also, they have a skydiving commerical!

Oh yeah, that's Scott Smith from Perris in that commercial... They had a picture of him on the Perriscam site from the day they filmed it and I totally thought he was really James Earl Jones! Haven't actually seen the commercial though...

I had Sprint but it turned out that their service stopped 2 miles from where I lived. I called them and they confirmed this, but they said that they could help me out by lowering my monthly rate. I asked them how that would help considering the phone still wouldn't work. They responded by saying they could further lower their rates for me. I told them to please cancel my service contract and I went with Verizon. Great service where ever I go and cheap rates. Plus where ever I am in the nation I can call where ever else I want in the nation for the same low rate.
Oh, I also got to meet James Earl Jones while playing in an orchestra for a piece that he was narrating. Nothing to do with why I chose Verizon, but kind of related.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com