kansasskydiver

Thinking of getting a puppy... (black lab)

Well I was a dog hater not too long ago, but have recently fallen in love with dogs. I'm moving into a house now, back-yard and plenty of space and was thinking of getting a black lab. I have never had a dog before, only cats, and just looking for any advice about labs from dz.com

blue skies

chris
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Very good choice! Labs are very good companions. I lucked out and had the most beautiful lab. Bought it from a breeder and he was a doll. He was a very lazy dog and wasn't obnoxious at all. I have met a few labs that are hyper but most are pretty chill. He was pretty easy to train too.B|

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Go to the bookstore and get a couple books, and make sure you read them before you get the dog. Having grown up with Black Labs I can tell you this, they are so cool, so loyal, so loving, so excellent!! I can also recommend the following (strongly):

1. Get a Lab from a breeder, not a pet store. Make sure you see papers, family history. Do not do this if you are not willing to pay the money for a well bred dog. (Edit to add: Well bred labs are usually over $500.00) Cross-breeding/inbreeding is a significant risk in Labradors because they are so common.

2. Lab puppies love, love, love to chew on things, especially wood. Ensure you protect wooden furniture in your home. There are repellents as well as training methods to do this.

3. Make sure you have space inside and outside for them.

4. Labs are great with kids, and have the ability to learn training quickly.

5. You MUST make the time to train them.

6. Make sure you have plenty of tug-toys and tennis balls for them to play with.

7. You might consider a bitch, as she will be less inclined to wonder, but will require careful training. If you get a dog, and you don't neuter him, he will run off on "conquest" missions for several days in a row once or twice a year.

Two-cents from me... B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I got to agree with getting a Lab. I have a yellow and my Moms got a black Lab. Two of the best dogs. Did get extremely lucky being as the black is a shelter dog, and mine, well, if he hadn't a been in the damn street ! I ran into him, he was an abused stray, ran into him with the car, knocked him out cold
Ended up keeping him, great dog.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Let me say I love dogs too. I've had a black lab in the past, I have a chocolate lab now. Both are excellent dogs.

However, I would recommend a golden retriever. I lived with one recently and he was just the greatest dog... Goldens seem to be a bit more mellow tempered than labs. Both of my labs have a good bit of energy, and can be a bit aggressive at times (play rough, a lot of play biting and barking). The golden that I lived with was very gentle and never pushed any limits, although he had a lot of energy too. Ofcourse, every dog is different, so see if you can spend an hour or two with the dog before taking him home for good.

But good choice. Dogs kick ass. :ph34r:

Attached: Picture of Nestle™, my chocolate lab mix.

Drake and I just adopted a Pitbull pup this week. He was getting munched on by his bros and sisses. So, the breeder gave him away. We named him "Chewy" (that is what his siblings said he was). You can't beat a pit as a people pleaser. Their natural disposition is affectionate and goofy.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

all retrievers are great dogs
but PLEASE only take one if you are willing to commit to it.
labs, and retrievers in generals are family dogs, they should live like family and they reward you bettert than most families.

mine was a flat-coated (black) retriever.
same qualities of Labs only more athletic.

sadly he died last april.
i was so in love with this breed i've decided to get another one (which is not easy since they all look the same) .
i should get him next october.
if you need any more details,
contact me, i've become an expert on retrievers B|

and you wont be sorry with a retriever :)
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

I have a black lab that someone threw out of their car as they drove by the house I am living in. He is the best thing that ever happened to me! I think he might be a lab mix due to the fact that he is a bit small (55lbs) and has white hairs on his toes and chest but he is all lab in his behavior and looks.

Check out the pound before going to a breeder, a rescued dog will never forget who saved them and might be the most loyal loving pet you could ever imagine!

Good Luck!
Post a pic if you get a dog!
Blue Skies!
Mary B
Sandillas Rodriguez
Muff Brother #2959 TF #77

just looking for any advice about labs from dz.com

IMO, labs are the best dogs to have as pets if you have the yard space for them. I've owned three labs, none were pure bred, all were "rescue dogs". All had a little "mystery dog" in them but they were great dogs. I will continue to go with the "rescue dogs"/mixed breeds because of the price and the decreased chance of hereditary ailments. If you decide on a pure bred then do the research and get a really good breeder.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

if you decide to go with a purebred, check out the parents if possible. This can be a good indication of the demeanor of your pup in the future. Training does a lot, but sometimes dogs are just bred stupid.:S I see a lot of dogs every day (I am a dog groomer and grew up breeding dogs). Like everyone else said, rescue dogs are awesome too. That is what I am getting in just a few weeks (I am hopefully getting a golden retriever though:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

I love dogs so much. Always grown up with them. We have always had Lab-Collie crosses and they make great companions. As you will know most pure bred breeds tend to have some issues. With Labs it is fatness - you have to really exercise thekm to avoid them porking out - I saw a really fat lab last week that was so sad - it could barely stand. Anyway just something to consider, often less money but equally good as pets and we have had no problems with ours. In fact Max was just put to sleep at age 14 & 1/2 which is a good innings. Long live Alfie, son of Max.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I totally agree with everyone here. We have a black lab, she's about 2 years old and is totally part of the family. She needs a lot of affection and is a pretty good watch dog too.

She comes up and puts that huge snoot on my leg and then looks up at me. Next thing ya know I gotta a 50lb lap dog.

If you a lot of space in your yard and plenty of time Border collies are great dogs too. Very smart. But they are working dogs and require a good bit of space and activity.;)
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

labs are awesome. i have an over sized golden lab named dober, and he's as goofy as his name.
but i have to say that the coolest dogs ever have to be great danes!!
why don't you get one of those chris???:ph34r:

Thanks everyone for the advice. Let me inform you all a little more on the situation at hand...

I'm moving out of my apt within the next week, into a buddies house to watch while he's overseas. I'll be living there for a min of 1 year. There is a decent size back-yard, city park 1 block away, we have always welcomed dogs at our DZ, a lake, creek etc around here. I'm getting to the point of time in my life where I'd like to settle down and it wasn't until June that I fell in love with a puppy a girl brought out to the dz, it was a black-lab.

1 - Now the rest of the issues are a bit more complicated. In a year, I don't know where I'm going to be. I won't be here in Kansas, well I hope not [:/], I could be in an apt downtown Chicago or in a highrise in Japan, I'm not going to be picky after I graduate. If that happens I don't know if I'd be able to take Icarus (already named the dog, or Safire for a girl dog hehehe) with me.

2 - The puppies I mentioned aren't bred, they are one of our dz regulars. The mom is a lab/pointer mix and the father is a mystery dog. She is giving them away for free. They are farm dogs, so no shots yet etc.

3 - At some times during the month I barely have enough money to feed myself [:/]. What are the costs involved with a pet, ie shots, food, vet bills etc

4 - If I can't play with him every day for hours will he/she be ok?

5 - I don't want to mess my buddies house up with the dog, so what's the best way to housebreak a puppy?

I haven't seen the puppies yet, I haven't even made a decission. I'm exploring my options and thinking it thru rationally before deciding to have a living being depend on me to shelter, feed and care for

Blue skies

Chris
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Yea Labs are deffinatley the best dogs.

But it sounds like you should hold off on getting a puppy as you mention factors which are not stable enough to get a dog.
a dog is a 10 -15 year commitment and if you can not take a dog with you wherever you live next year, what will u do with it?
also dogs need and crave attention, if it is left alone for hours it will become bored and detructive.
Also dogs cost money ... ie vets bills, food , toys :-)

Personally I think you should wait untill u are more settled before deciding to take care of a dog.
Peace Be Da Journey

Good choice!

We had a black lab and you could not have asked for a nicer dog. He was playful, friendly, gentle, just fantastic. Very sadly he died from cancer at about the age of 10, I still miss him when I go home to see my folks.

3 bits of advice: (1) don't buy a black lab as a guard dog (ours was more more likely to lick the burglar than bit him), (2) don't have cream coloured carpets and a black dog and (3) beware of stealth poos behind the sofa on said cream carpet!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

First, I think you need to ask you buddy if you can housebreak a puppy in his house. He might not think that's the greatest idea. In the very least, tell him about it up front and also tell him you'll pay for any damages. With a puppy, he could possibly ruin the carpet and could chew on the furniture. If I was your buddy, I wouldn't be too keen on the idea. If it was an adult dog who I already knew what the behavior was, it would be different.

I also think your life is too up in the air right now to get a dog anyway because you said you won't know where you'll be in a year. If you move to where you can't take a dog, you'll either have to pawn him off on a friend (not always easy to do) or you'll have to take the dog to a shelter, which would be very sad to do if you've become attached to him over the year.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I could be in an apt downtown Chicago or in a highrise in Japan, I'm not going to be picky after I graduate. If that happens I don't know if I'd be able to take Icarus (already named the dog, or Safire for a girl dog hehehe) with me.

From the looks of that, I'd say forget it until you get a more "stable" lifestyle. The last thing you want to do is have to put your "buddy" in a shelter, where he may get gassed.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

you might want to wait with it.

having a puppy is awesome, but there is nothing i hate more than people getting a puppy and then getting rid of it when its older and "less cute" or simply not as exciting.

not saying that you are, but dogs, and especially family breeds like labs, take time, money and lots of attention.
ofcourse, the daily reward is endless, but still you need to make sure you can handle it.

and, to check with the owner of the house too ;)
anyway, it sounds like you care, so if you treat the dog right he/she (not it...) will move with you no matter where you end up :)
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."