jtval

aphresis (giving blood)

for those of you who give blood, have you looked into aphresis?
its the process of giving PLATELETTES. they can be stored longer and they can be given to anyblood type.
the "platelettes" are the building blocks for blood cells.
it usually takes two hours to give 'em but they are supposedly more stablie for shipping etc. look into it,please.

whatever you do keep giving.
I have to wait until 22 aug b4 I can give again. I have a two yearts to make up for so Im gonna go as often as I can (usually every 5-7 days,for me)

let me know what you think about aphresis (if you go during a shitty day at work most places will/should be willing to allow it!:D
My photos

My Videos

It only take that long the first time. Once they get your platelet load figured out it takes lots less time.

It's not for folks who can't hack needles, though. It's almost exactly like dialysis. One needle in, and one out.

It is the number one source of compatible bone marrow donors.

If you ever wanted to save somebody's life, apheresis is the way. If your platelets match somebody with leukemia or bone disease, you can save their life with just a little marrow out of your hip.

Good show, JT!

I used to give often in GA. it would still take a bit probly 1.5 hours I guess. i remember I could Never finish watching the movie LOL

but then again I was in GA they do everything slow there! LOL
My photos

My Videos

How ironic.... i just donated platelets yesterday. I have a rare blood type, so they call me up fairly often. I don't mind doing it. Only problem is that my veins are shallow, so in one arm they have a problem. Next time I go they're going to try the one needle method. Donating is a good thing to do. Yes, it's uncomfortable and takes a few hours... but it saves life.. and definitely makes a difference in the lives of leukemia patients. :)

I used to donate platelets pretty regularly. Unfortunately, Lifesource no longer likes my annual Mexico vacations, so I can't donate anymore.

It does take a while, and they have both one arm and 2 arm machines- the 2 arm machine is quicker if I remember correctly, but the one arm machine is a little more comfortable. (only one needle) You can watch TV or a movie while you are donating and its not painful, maybe just a little uncomfortable.

They use platelets for cancer and AIDS patients as well as burn victims. (among other uses) When my uncle was going through chemo, he always felt better after a platelet treatment.

Check it out if you are a blood donor already. you can actually get on a schedule and do both.

maura

> for those of you who give blood, have you looked into aphresis?

That's what I do, although I am very close to being disqualified due to business trips. Getting close to that 3 weeks in the UK that disqualifies you, and eventually they will decide that my visit to Niger will disqualify me (although it was 15 years ago.)

Once upon a time, these organizations were far less choosy in accepting and distributing donated blood. As a result, people became ill, many died. Now, organizations like the Red Cross and Life Source have to go a little overboard to make sure the blood supply is safe.

Its an unfortunate situation for everyone as far as I'm concerned. A lot of healthy and willing donors are ineligible because of where we have traveled or certain lifestyle choices. And so many people out there who would be eligible donors who won't donate for any number of reasons.

I don't know what the solution is, but the result is a shortage at all the blood banks.

I encourage anyone who is healthy and eligible to donate blood whenever they can. And if you hesitate because of health concerns to yourself, talk to a healthcare professional about it. Donating blood is safe, generally painless, and doesn't take very long.

maura

Once upon a time, these organizations were far less choosy in accepting and distributing donated blood. As a result, people became ill, many died.

People did not become ill and die because of the donors. People became ill and died because the blood banks did not test blood. But the blood banks couldn't accept responsibility, so they had a knee-jerk reaction to ban many well-intended and healthy potential donors. Now they test every donation, but still won't let some groups donate. So too bad, so sad. They made their own bed. If they run out of blood and people become ill and die, they'll look beyond the simple fact that they deny donations from so many people. They'll blame it on the rain or something equally ridiculous.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Brian,

I agree with you. They created the situation, NOT the donors. Some places used to pay for blood donations. It was very common for homeless people to sell their blood, or donate just to come in from the cold and have a free meal. I don't have the stats, but I'm sure hepatitis was a much bigger problem than HIV or AIDS, but that's what got the publicity. (And this isn't just an American issue, either.) It IS a knee jerk reaction and almost 20 years later, they are still revising their criteria and banning more groups. I really was not happy when I gave up a day of jumping to donate platelets and got myself to Lifesource at the crack of dawn on a Saturday only to be turned away because of a recent trip to Mexico. (Which only a couple of months before had been OK.)

Anyway, I don't really know what the solution is. Only that the people who suffer in the end are the ones who need blood. And also, to this day, even with all the screening and testing and "banning", I don't think the general public trusts the blood supply. A friend of mine just had a baby (C-section) and she lost a lot of blood and needed a transfusion. She decided not to breastfeed because of it, even though the doctors assured her it would be fine.

I'm not defending the blood banks' policies, but I would still encourage anyone who is eligible to donate.

no platelettes today. I give whole blood instead of waiting....but they took 2 servings (LOL)
so now I have to wait until my next repack to donate again!

I wanted them to take one scoop so I could donate aphresis in a few days...oh well![:/]
at least I gave
My photos

My Videos