PhillyKev

Best DZ to spend a week at?

Ok, I have a week vacation that I haven't planned for yet. If I use it to go visit a DZ, where should I go? This would be during the summer. Where's the most active during the week, with friendly people and lots of stuff to do both at the dz and nearby vicinity for someone travelling alone?
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Well, of course I'm going to vote for FL. Lots of dz's to go to that are open all week, beaches with cute girls in bikini's, tourist attractions....we got it all going on. And, of course, there's ME down here! haha
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

Okay so I'm biased... Southern California. Perris and Elsinore are within a half hour drive of each other. Perris goes all week long, mostly freefly during the week, really busy on the weekends. All the SoCal attractions are within about an hours drive too.
A week off in the summer and you aren't using it for WFFC????
pull & flare,
lisa
"But our reality is in fact entire illusion!"
-Gregory Benford

Just in the US or abroad? In the US I would pick something like SD America Palm Beach, Deland, Perris Valley, Eloy.
Ummm....overseas....Empuria, Brazil, Chile is probably a great deal right now....:)"I only have 145 jumps so I always carry a JM so he can pull for me."-Clay

Florida is awesome, but I wouldn't choose to go DZ-hopping down here in the summer...it's hotter than hell! Maybe at the coastal DZ's if there's a good breeze it isn't so bad. We roast at Z-hills. (Though it is nice to be in the Otter with only about 8 other people!)
Lost Prairie, Montana, 7/20-7/29, could be really cool. http://www.skydivelostprairie.com/pages/events.htm
No CASA though....I love CASA's....
Blue Skies,
Heather
http://www.skydivewings.com

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looking for a North America destination. And not somewhere that would be better to use as a mid-winter escape (ie. FL and SOCAL).
Any good ones up in Canada? My jump ticket dollars will probably go further there.
-Kevin

you know what they say...it's not the heat, it's the humidity! :P
Seriously, I don't think it's THAT bad. Besides, we have those wonderful afternoons thunderstorms to cool things down a bit! I was just going on the fact that there's a lot of dz's to visit, and many other things to do here in addition to skydiving.
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

I'm sure Riggerrob could chime in about his home DZ - I think it's just outside Vancouver, out past PoCoMo? (haven't made my way there, yet, so can't comment) - but I can say it's the most beautiful city in Canada, and if you like asian women, oh yum yum yum - they got 'em and plenty! :)

You mentioned Canada...
Pacific Skydivers in Pitt Meadows, just outside of Vancouver BC is a nice DZ. They have a King Air, C182's and a C205. See profile. It has beautiful scenery as the coastal mountains are close by.
The dropzone is about 40min from Vancouver. Vancouver is pretty nice in the summer and spring (not so in winter). It is somewhat of a tourist destination (Pitt Meadows is not). A bit of a sleepy town though for its size.
Tourism Vancouver has some info. There might be some better sites to get info.
Cheers,
NewGuy B|

>you know what they say...it's not the heat, it's the humidity!
I'm still not used to this heat and it's been years now! But yeah, you're right, there's lots to do here besides jump. The beaches, the tunnel, the amusement parks....
You know, I still haven't been to Deland yet! How wierd is that? It isn't very far. Is it mostly belly or freeflying? Or a good mix?
Blue skies,
Heather
http://www.skydivewings.com

DeLand has a good mix of both free and belly RW. skyvan, porter and otter. typiclly the 4way teams get the otter when there are a bunch training (there were 8 teams I believe training last Saturday --- ours included). The DeLand gang usualy puts together some pretty good belly jumps

WFFC....
yep Yep YEPPER's get's my vote
That's my summer vacation :) Uh what little lummy? You're bored? Well... watch all the pretty canopies in the air :) Papa's busy right now ;)
Just kidding.... they aren't going :)
Grew up way to fast, now there's nothing to believe, and reruns all become a history....

Ok....I'm thinking I'll just go for a boogie then. What's the best one for someone travelling solo to check out, assuming I can't drag anyone from XKeys with me. Best in terms of meeting people, good social atmosphere, low hassle, etc.
-Kevin

Best in terms of meeting people, good social atmosphere, low hassle, etc.

I haven't been yet. Hope to this year. You just described everything I have ever heard about "Lost Praire" :)"I only have 145 jumps so I always carry a JM so he can pull for me."-Clay

I think any one of them... of course Monkey Claw heads out to one too (I think Richmond, but am not positive). I know Fruce makes the circuit at times also. Id stay away from WFFC and go to a smaller one - I've heard excellent things about Lost Prarie too.