skybytch

24 hours of Texas - my cross country journey

I made it! Revise that... we - me and Molly the wonder dog - made it to Sebastian without a hitch.

Left Perris about noon California time on Tuesday; arrived at Jack and Lynn's place in Flagler today about 4 pm Florida time. Not bad for one driver who needs to sleep at least a little every night and a dog who needs to pee every hour or two.

I ended up renting a Ford Windstar mini van. It worked out okay; managed to fit in everything except two bins of stuff that really can wait.

First stop was in Eloy for dinner with b2. Saw Chromie too. Got almost to the New Mexico border before I stopped for the night. Motel 6's are great; they allow pets at no extra charge. :)
Wednesday morning I blew through New Mexico; hit the Texas border at noon local time. And thus began the 24 hours of Texas...

The original plan was to stop in San Antonio and drink... err I mean stay with Jess. But she had to work, and I didn't think I was gonna make it there anyway so we kinda blew each other off. :S Oh well... you just have to come to Sebastian Jess. :P

I was about an hour west of SA when I decided to just drive until I couldn't drive anymore. The map of the freeways through SA looked intimidating... so I found a two lane that skirted the whole mess and would drop me right back on the 10 east of the city. Score! It was dark but it looked like the scenery would have been nice during the day...

Thought I'd stop in New Braunfels... but I didn't. Then I thought I'd stop when I hit the 10... but I didn't. I ended up pulling off at a rest stop "somewhere in Texas" about midnight. Did some creative rearranging of the stuff in the back and made room for me to sleep on the bench seat. Spent a rather uncomfortable 7 hours there... but I did get some sleep.

Hit the road within 15 minutes of waking up - a big benefit to sleeping in a rest stop. Stupid me... I shoulda stopped and had breakfast before driving through Houston. But I didn't. Note - Houston morning rush hour is unpleasant. I'll say no more.

Finally got through Houston an hour later than I thought I'd get through Houston, vowing never to return. A couple hours later and I was crossing into Lousiana... at noon local time on Thursday. Thus ended 24 hours of Texas...

Made it to Pensacola Thursday night and got a room. Stretching out on a bed was a treat after the night before, and Molly was so happy she insisted on playing tugowar with her toy.

Today was an easy drive... only 600 miles or so. And now I'm here... sitting at Lyle's house and happy that I have an msn account so I could get online tonight!

So anyway... big thanks to those who called me while I was on the road - especially the one who kept trying even though I was in a really bad reception area :)
My summer of too much fun and irresponsibility is now officially over. Tomorrow I start working. Sigh. Oh well, this is gonna be fun too. B|

Wow, Congratulations on a quick trip to Florida. B| I hope the humidity doesn't kill ya... :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

So glad to hear you made it!! I was a-feared you'd be stuck in Huston the rest of the week!

Rest up, for you know you'll want to post whore as soon as shop is set up at your new digs! B| We'll be waiting for you...

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

You are the bomb, Bytchwoman.

Thanks for texting me while driving. Probably illegal in New York, huh?

Good fortune in your new home.

-I will win a spot on the 140 way Deuce, and I'll visit you in April (Say it with me enough times and it might become true :P)

I thought I felt a tremor in the Force. Ya know there is just a whole bunch of us here in San Antonio. Anyone of which would have been glad to "show ya around".

Yeah the interstates here are kinda of f#@ked up. Its what happens when you pave cow trails.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

glad ya made it okay. now once ya get settled in let us know if ya have a web site or phone number we can order stuff from ya onc e again.... forget store loyalty.. you got people loyalty comin at ya......

Yea, you made it! Let's see how good you really are and see if your presence in the state can keep the hurricane away! B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My summer of too much fun and irresponsibility is now officially over

Now enter the fall season of "too much fun and irresposibility!!" B| ..In one of the coolest places in the world!!

big thanks to those who called me while I was on the road - especially the one who kept trying even though I was in a really bad reception area

Yeah, I tried too!!! Bummer... but we got connected a few times and that was great! I just got back from DeLand and only a 17hr trip but its taking me a few days to recover. I will suggest though that pee stops at re-fills have an entirely different effect on creating a more stressful/un-relaxing journeyB|

...but then again I might be permanently traumatized having to endure 24hrs of Texas:S
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

yeah crossing TX sucks! Ive done it twice. once moving to ElPaso from Jacksonville, FL & then again moving from Lubbock TX to Tampa FL...that is one big friggin state! A bit of trivia for you...you can fit 11 of the states inside the state of TX with 100 mile to spare...cant remeber which 11 it is thou... My S/O could tell you he's a native TX'n. Glad you made it to FL okay, I sure wish I was back there!:(

The original plan was to stop in San Antonio and drink... err I mean stay with Jess. But she had to work, and I didn't think I was gonna make it there anyway so we kinda blew each other off. Oh well... you just have to come to Sebastian Jess.

No problem, I just drank that case of Shiner myself. :ph34r:
Skydiving is for cool people only

Dammit Bytch-

I am going to have to kill you now.
Here I am Bed & Breakfast, just seconds off I10, very cool extra room, Pool, amusing animals that do tricks, kittens to pet and take back with you as a snack or company. Or, during your stay a choice of 3 vegi-kittens with your steak.

Now look...:( The kitties have to go to Auschwitz, The Green Mile or hopefully not snuffed out at the SPCA and/or not included in a Kitten Pot Pie. ;)

~AirAnn~