pegasus

Just Curious... jump jitters

Have any of you as new jumpers ever gotten the 20 something jump jitters? I made number 24 today and have my A license for a month or so now. All thru AFF & Coach jumps I was fine, couldnt wait for the breeze between my knees. Then WHAM! jump #22 I wanted to ride the plane down...DJ, my s/o threatened to throw me out the door (nicely) I went on my own and am glad I did. Jump #23 was great, my first rodeo jump and I had a blast. Then today on jump #24 my mouth was incredibly dry on the ride up, had no problem in the door, jump went good, but towards the end of freefall I couldnt breathe. I have heard of this happening to brand new jumpers on jumps 1 or 2 but never this far into it. It was so bad that I huffed & puffed almost my entire canopy ride trying to catch my breath. I have been really bummed about this, b/c I truly love jumping. I have been jumping for 4 months now and am also a bit discouraged b/c due to job & home obligations I can only make it to the dz once or twice a week for jumps. It seems as if I am always spinning my wheels. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

maybe it is your female intuition. I know that I felt those jitters before I had a really bad jump where I hit a dust devil upon landing, now had I listened maybe I would have rode the plane down. I actually did ride the plane down a couple of weekends ago for the first time because I became really dizzy and light headed and was seeing stars...I was very dhydrated. Any ways, maybe it is your intuition or just nervous jitters that will go away with time. I just know that if I ever hear that gut feeling that something isn't right I have no problem ridding the plane down, but then again I live in Arizona where there are 365 jumping days a year and I can always jump later.
Kathryn

I can only make it to the dz once or twice a week for jumps

Hehehe. Only once or twice A WEEK? Keep up that rate and you'll be over an jitters real quick. I was only making a couple jumps a month when I had 20 something jumps. With such long layoffs between jumps (even worse through AFF...sometimes months between jumps), I'd always question what the hell I was doing when I'd go back. Then I'd jump, remember how much fun it is, and realize exactly why I had come back. If you love jumping, just keep at it.

Dave

I'm at 119 and the jitters are not completely gone. I still get really nervous sometimes. From what I hear, even really experienced jumpers get nervous. Here's me doing a coach jump with David Brown:

At 11 grand, exit at 13.5.
Dave: You nervous?
Me(lying): Not really.
Dave: I am for some reason.
After which he shrugged, reminded me again of what our skydive will be about, and we jumped.

To be brave is not to have no fear, it is to face fear and win. Keep on truckin' chief;)

That's my 2 cents anyway. Keep the change;)

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I only got the jitters when it was a long time between jumps... you know, when you haven't jumped for a few weeks, it seems pretty scary to jump again.

other then that, just remember to relax... if you start thinking about getting nervous, then you are going to get nervous.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I've got 345 jumps, and I still get that voice every once in a while asking what the F^&K I'm doing. Sometimes it's very loud, sometimes it's quiet, and sometimes it's just not there. My advice is to ask yourself if you feel confident with your skills, the skills of others your jumping with and your equipment. If the answer is yes than it's time to rock. If not, maybe it's a good time to reconsider that particular skydive(prefferably before boarding the plane).
I got nuthin

I have actualy stood down from a jump because It just "felt" really bad.
I still get a bit jittery at times I think this is a good thing, it reminds you that this is a potenitially VERY dangerous sport.
Complacency kills;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Personally I think it is very normal....I was nervous all through AFF, although I knew I loved it. I think it was up until about jump 70 I would always get cotton mouth and started eating sour candies on the ride up. Your mind is a powerful took, just don't let it get the best of you.....and don't let your "honey" get the best of ya either (he's such a little jokester). Also, don't get bummed about not being able to jump LOTS...be HAPPY you get to jump. Things have an odd way of working out and at least you have found a new love. Take a deep breath at the door before each jump....seriously - stop and take a deep breath in and then let it go.....THEN do your task at hand. IT HELPS!

Have fun you little jumper you and hope to see you soon. Big hugs!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I have heard of this happening to brand new jumpers on jumps 1 or 2 but never this far into it.

maybe you never asked before?
i had them till my first solo. then after winters break when i was boarding the plane again in spring... but inthe last two years i havent heard the little voice in my head. maybe it comes back maybe it doesn't.
if you hear it - face it. if it becomes to strong - ride it down. its just a jumpticket. and this is definitely cheaper than a f&%§ed up jump whith following injuries
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I've been jumping for about 4 months myself, am fresh off AFF, and I get nervous every time on the plane. I don't really get nervous in freefall or under canopy, and it's not the jump that makes me nervous. It's the exit. But I'm getting over this a little at a time, and you eventually will, too, I'm sure. Don't let it bother you; rather, let it keep you safe in your jumping!;)

Blondes do have more fun!

I have felt pretty good since I got my own gear (its safer) but had a lay off of three weeks last month and was fine until 3 minute call then started to feel nausious.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

had a lay off of three weeks last month and was fine until 3 minute call then started to feel nausious.

I think that's part of my problem as well, because due to funds (I still have to rent gear and everything), I don't get to jump as frequently as I would like to keep my confidence level as high as I would like.

Blondes do have more fun!

EVERY jump I do....I get the jitters! I have 23 and my A. I can only get to the DZ every 2 weeks and thats pushing it. My DZ is 4.5 hours away. I've been told if I could jump more often I'd get better about jitters, but I think its me!!
One of my Skydive U coaches once told me to "lay off the coffee":)