sberkovitz

Resale value of Swift Plus 200

My estimate would be about 200-300 USD. It might have been the one that saved me once, in which case it is priceless.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

With no history (not only openings but pack jobs, years in service, storage, etc) I probably wouldn't recommend it to someone else.

But I'll give you $5 for it.:);)

Seriously, I probably wouldn't recommend it as someones last chance to live. Too many questions raised by age, unknown history, etc. Hmmm, and I think I have at least one. But if someone did want it, $200. That's about bottom for something considered airworthy.

The odd thing is that older jumpers like me probably would be more willing to use it, especially for a second or special purpose/limited use rig. But that's because we're cheap and we know how to fly the things. Also it's probably a lot better than a lot of the crap we used to jump.:S

And that would be not more than 200lbs suspended load, meaning with gear, clothes, etc.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I've been jumping with it in my container for 3yrs now! Never had to use it though.

It was deemed airworthy by my rigger. Lines, aside from a small blood stain, are crisp and white, and it looks to be in good shape. It came with a vector II I bought (which I am retiring to use in halloween costumes). I guess I will put it up on classifieds to see If i get any bites!
-Steven

I've been jumping with it in my container for 3yrs now! Never had to use it though.

It was deemed airworthy by my rigger. Lines, aside from a small blood stain, are crisp and white, and it looks to be in good shape. It came with a vector II I bought (which I am retiring to use in halloween costumes). I guess I will put it up on classifieds to see If i get any bites!

:D:D:D:D:D

Maybe it DOESN'T WORK. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The odd thing is that older jumpers like me probably would be more willing to use it, especially for a second or special purpose/limited use rig. But that's because we're cheap and we know how to fly the things. Also it's probably a lot better than a lot of the crap we used to jump.

yea it flys better than a 5 cell swift, opens better too. But at the time i was just happy the my 5 cell opened :P
I feel old just thinking about it B|

There is another way to look at this. What is the price of a brand new optima? Where as this is a tso'ed reserve, perfectly leagle, lands fine for the wing loadings it was built for. and although you can jump a smaller optoma or PD, in fact much smaller if your balls are big enough, think about the price you pay. There's some thing to be said for haveing that much nylon over your head. At that point It doesn't make that much of a diffrence whether it is a swift+ a smart or an optima. When your landing in a fenced back yard it's how much wing is over your head and a newer thinner air foil is actually a bad thing not a benifit. If your under your reserve you can't assume you're going to make it back to some nice grassy landing strip at the dz. And why not buy an older used rig while your at it? It would go nicely with a bit larger main. Most people should be jumping larger maines any way.

So no, I don't see why people rag on older reserves. I think they're the best deals out there. A young jumper with any sence should snatch it up and honestly even an older jumper might do well to look at it. I've seen people die under small canopies from probblems that would have been survivable with more wing over their head.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

I was thinking more of the line of a 24 twill reserve.;) Your a youngster if you think a 5 cell swift is old crap.B| That was such a big step above a safety flyer or safety

I never jumped a twill reserve but I knew some that did. I did jump with a 24' flat, unmodified military reserve. Probably 300 jumps but never had to use it.:o

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>So no, I don't see why people rag on older reserves.

Well, I often do because many are just plain unsafe. I've watched two people break their legs trying to land Micro Ravens, and I've seen some truly horrendous landings at Bridge Day when people jump their closet queen reserves as cheap second BASE canopies.

I agree with you concerning the larger containers tho.

Well, I often do because many are just plain unsafe. I've watched two people break their legs trying to land Micro Ravens, and I've seen some truly horrendous landings at Bridge Day when people jump their closet queen reserves as cheap second BASE canopies.

I had 2 swift plus landings, it had a fairly steep glide but the flare was great, really easy stand up at about 1.15 WL. Of course even if someone isn't shy about using a 20 year old reserve, it might be difficult to get riggers to pack it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hi Bill,

Well, I often do because many are just plain unsafe.

That is a fairly bold statement; and you have every right to post it.

However, would you mind listing those that you feel are 'just plain unsafe?'

And just to keep things honest & in perspective; under what conditions?

At 170-175 lbs, butt naked in the morning, I've stood up both 5 & 7 cell Swifts. But maybe that is just me,

JerryBaumchen

But that's unsafe because of their use. If you do not overload a micro raven, it's not that bad right? And if you want to BASE there are way better alternatives available, of course. Even new reserves don't make very good BASE canopies...

Anyway, I have 2 "recent" reserves, both smallish, and one swift 5. Don't mind being under any one of them, although the swift probably is better if I'm incapacitated or something.

A couple years ago, a (fairly heavy) jumper here had a cutaway on his big spectre where his camera got bumped off his sidemount bracket. Said bracket then sheared off a couple lines of his swift 5 during deployment. The jumper was fine, and he was glad it was a "square round" reserve and not a small overloaded "normal" reserve, in fact AFAIK he had the swift fixed after that ;) (and his camera helmet too.... :S)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

>However, would you mind listing those that you feel are 'just plain unsafe?'

Round reserves. (Probably goes without saying.) Micro Ravens, specifically 120s and 135s are at the top of the list. Older Swifts at higher loadings.

>And just to keep things honest & in perspective; under what conditions?

Bridge Day usage as main canopies. Conditions there were generally cool, near sea level.

Usage as skydiving reserves. Both incidents I mentioned occurred at Otay, which is also near sea level, and temperatures were around 70 and 85 IIRC. Another such incident occurred at the WFFC, which resulted merely in some sprains and bruises due to the soft landing area.

And yes, all the above can be safely jumped by someone who knows what they are doing; I've jumped Micro Ravens and unmodified round reserves and landed without injury, and have seen others do so. But if the question is "what's a reasonably safe reserve for your average skydiver?" then Micro Ravens and 5 cell Swifts would not be on my list.

But if the question is "what's a reasonably safe reserve for your average skydiver?"

Since at one time we ALL had round reserves...what's that say about todays 'average' skydiver? ;)

And yes, all the above can be safely jumped by someone who knows what they are doing;

I would say they don't know what there doing. ;)

A round reserve is dangerous for the average skydiver but a sub 100 sq. ft. main is just fine. I can’t remember many people dying under a good round reserve.[:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals