2. Duane Allman
3. BB King
4. Robert Johnson
5. Chuck Berry
6. Stevie Ray Vaughn
7. Ry Cooder
8. Jimmie Page
9. Keith Richards

All in all, I think they are good choices. It's so nice to see Duane Allman's work be recognized like this.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

No Satriani or Vai??

What about Classical, I used to know classically trained guitarists that could do more than all 9 of those combined... Granted they didn't have a rock band and weren't popular though ;)

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I don't know who was in the "top 100" list.

But the list is the "Greatest" guitarists, not the "Best" or "Most Technologically Proficient."

I think that Django Reinhardt would blow most of them away, as well as cats like Charlie Christian. And Les Paul certainly was a great, considering his influence. How about Al DiMeola, who is known for playing two guitars at the same time by his tapping technique?

I don't know about Vai or Satriani. They do amazing things with the instrument, but I don't think they had the songs to back up their guitar wizardry.

No Satriani or Vai??

What about Classical, I used to know classically trained guitarists that could do more than all 9 of those combined... Granted they didn't have a rock band and weren't popular though ;)

with any 'classically trained musician' the question isnt 'how well they play' as they all play very very well and quite similarly since they are supposed to be recreating the composers work, but instead "how well do you improvise"?

playing other peoples music is one thing. writing, playing your own music, or interpreting and reinventing a song with your own stylistic influences is the difference between an artist and a craftsman.

always neat to have 'classical students' come sit in with the jazz ensemble..." what do you mean we play another 8 bars if the lead trumpet is facing right??? follow the what?? where's the sheet music for that last bit you guys just did? i didnt see that change in my notes....

I don't know about Vai or Satriani. They do amazing things with the instrument, but I don't think they had the songs to back up their guitar wizardry.

If you dont know about them, how can you make such a silly statement?

And it IS a silly statement.

I've been playing for 30 years and I have never head someone better than Satriani. He is a true virtuoso both from a technical point of view and also from a music theory point of view as well. This man is a true musician, not just a lick-meister

Satriani is amazing. I credited him with his "guitar wizardry." Satch is a true guitar god.

But, ask people how many Satch tunes they can hum. Then ask how many Metallica songs they can hum. Or Testament songs. How about Primus? Maybe even Steve Vai.

In all of those bands, Satriani was the lead guitarist's teacher (Testament - Alex Skolnik, Metallica - Kirk Hammet, Primus - Ler LaLonde.).

I have all the respect in the world for Satch, especially as a self-taught bloke. He deserves to be in the top 50. But I don't think he's got the songs to be there.

Much like his, what, 13 Grammy nominations without a win? Just this close...

agreed however he writes for himself and for other musicians, and many of the things that make Satriani great are also the things that will seperate him from public opinion.

as Q pointed out its difficult to define 'greatest'. Best chops? best soloist? best melodic composition in support of the chorus? best sound? etc..

what leave Satch out of the listed group is his body of work..how much of his music catches the hearts and minds of the majority of the listening public? how many listeners on the street could even name a single tune by Satriani? (because recognition is all that really matters in such lists, not technical ability)

and who could possiblly create such a list without Carlos Santana? or Gary Moore? John Sykes? Al Dimeiola? Tommy Bolan?

if its not popular (in this 15 min) it doesnt count remember...:S

I haven't heard of the guy. What's his band?

Oh, Ted isn't with a band at all that I know of.

Ted is one of the OmniSkore guys. Great guy. Fair but tough judge of RW. Plays a damn fine guitar between rounds if he remembers to bring it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm not talking about the ability to write "catchy" tunes.
Joe Satriani is a musician and guitar player, not a song writer.

The question was not who are the top 10 greatest song writers or who has the best jingles, or even who is the most popular, but who are the greatest guitar players. Great is not defined by the ability to hum one of their tunes.
In point of fact I can hum many Satriani tunes, but thats not the issue.

Haven't seen the full list, but you know these things are just designed to create new, REALLY LONG threads on DZ.com...
I personally love everyone mentioned so far, as well as guys like Cropper, George Benson, Van Halen, and a million others. I've been playing for over 35 years, I still ain't ever going to be as good as most of them...but if they sound good and inspire me, cool. Should be interesting to see the whole list, though..
Q: How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?
A; At least 15...1 to change the bulb, and 14 to stand around and say "I could've done that better"!

Iceman
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

one thing everyone overlooked is that this is a rollong stones poll.
so, unless they are popular and heard by the mainstream no one(not many) will even no who they are[:/].

it has no bearing in reality its just a popularity contest LOL
My photos

My Videos

Again, I see your point. Walter Trout is easily the most awesome guitarist I ever saw. The greatest? No. How about Stevie Winwood (Yes, THAT Steve Winwood) who could probably wipe the floor with just about any guitar slinger out there. Second best guitarist I ever saw. Greatest guitarist of all time? Not even in the Top 100, probably, since his keboards and singing were even better.

I saw Jeff Beck in concert a couple of weeks ago when he opened for BB King. He put on an amazing tehnical display. But I didn't think the show was great. One hint why - I reckon his drummer has the easiest job in the world. And I'd count Jeff Beck in the top 20 for his accomplishments and his skills. But in personal opinions, I'd put Tuck Andress ahead of him from what I've seen live.

Satch is a great guitarist, don't get me wrong. But I don't think he's top 10.

Are you a musician?

I'm not trying to be smart by asking. Its often interesting to note the differing opinions on issues such as this one when one side of the argument is actually a musician and guitar player and the other is a music lover but not a musician.

All opinions are simply that. Opinions.
Mine are based partly on what I like to hear and partly on my own guitar skills and knowledge of music from a theory point of view and partly because I have listened
to almost every piece of music he has ever written many times and literally examined them on a minute scale to adapt his style of playing into my own.

Not many players out there can read music or understand theory anymore. They just play the dots or use tabs or play canned licks and have no real understanding of what they do.

In this particular area I have made a point of "doing it better than the next guy"
I guess this makes me a snob, but there is a lot more to music than just tearing off some fast chops, and unfortunately thats what most of the players today do.

Satriani is a consummate musician from the ground up
which has nothing to do with playing the guitar. This knowledge, combined with virtuoso technical ability and a phenominal ability to express emotion through instrumental means that is missing in almost all "shred" style guitar players, makes him one of the greatest guitar players of all time.

Top 10 without a doubt

In my opinion.