yoink

question for uni / college students

Well, I doubt I'll be much help, since I'm in Texas and you're in the UK. I'm sure that cost of living is much different between us, even if we do eat a lot of Ramen.:P

On average, I'd say I spend about $75-ish a week on food. That's also skewed, since I don't cook much.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I left out beer/drinking and those much needed late night sobering meals.

Those are the mornings you wake up, check your bank account and go "fuck, I can't do that again..." then after your next pay check you go out and drink and have a late night sobering meal...

most of the students at the school I go to are on a meal ticket... they pay a set amount at the beginning of the semester for 10 meals per week in the dining room, and they usually go for fast food probably to the tune of $150 a month or so... mostly taco bell or some other really cheap place.

when you say food, does this include the late night runs to bob's dinner after drinking for 4 hours? and if so, does what we consume on beer while we eat count, and if that does, does our drinking activities count as well?
----------------------------------------------------------

lol... I get the point... ;)

I'll give you a bit of background... a recent survey over here stated that 90% of students don't know how to cook a piece of toast, let alone anything like a proper meal [:/]

I'm a keen cook and have been asked to put together a proposal for a TV program aimed at students and just wanted to know what kind of budget other people had at uni...

The demographic differences (if any) between the states and the UK is just a matter of interest....

cheers

Will

mostly taco bell or some other really cheap place.

Lets hear it for Taco Cabana! Open 24hrs a day, get very stuffed on $5-6 and its tastey. Just don't go in between 2am and 3:30am Wed-Sun. Its packed full of people, having just left the bars.

That'd be a sweet show!

I know how to cook fairly well (VERY well if it invovles large slabs of beef, a grill and some beer), but its more of a laziness thing. Well, that and every time I buy food to cook, I end up having to toss 1/4 of it out since I didn't get around to cooking it before it went bad, so that's a waste of money.

You could do specials on how to cook good meals with a microwave, a coffee pot and a hot-plate, since that's about all you can have in dorm rooms. (Some don't allow the hot-plate, actually).

Oh, and see if you can keep the meal cost WAY down. Something like $5 or less. That would be a big hit over here, atleast I know it would be on my campus.

You could do specials on how to cook good meals with a microwave, a coffee pot and a hot-plate, since that's about all you can have in dorm rooms. (Some don't allow the hot-plate, actually).

Oh, and see if you can keep the meal cost WAY down. Something like $5 or less. That would be a big hit over here, atleast I know it would be on my campus
---------------------------------------------------------

there'd be specials on how to impress the ladies / guys on £5, how to shop cheaply, stuff like that...

Heck, I haven't been in college for quite some time & I'd like to see this show!!

I have no idea what I spend on food (rather depressing a # to me), but my room-mate determined he spent $20/week on food & that's rather cheap.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Most dorm rooms do not allow microwaves or hot plates (or other kitchen type appliances other than small fridges or hot pots...) mainly for liability reasons... they don't want you starting fires.

We did a lot of cooking in those hotpots, tho... mac and cheese, soup and stuff.

I have an apartment and am not limited by cooking apparatuses, but I don't really cook much beyond pasta or, as Dave mentioned, slabs of beef on a grill with a beer

I would say yes, there has to be a financial incentive to cook, cause college students are lazy, and if the money's the same, I can grab a really good burger at the pub down the street. I usually eat in cause I don't feel like paying to eat out, so meals for five bucks or less would probably go over well

I'll skew the results dramatically here....
Lunch and dinner every day - Ramen noodles...
12 pack for $1.99. Lasts all week. Throw in free coffee/hot chocolate from the departments coffee machine what more do you need?

I love to cook - not a lazy issue - rather a time issue. 3 min and soups on!

Blue Skies and full tummies,
Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

I'm a keen cook and have been asked to put together a proposal for a TV program aimed at students and just wanted to know what kind of budget other people had at uni...

The demographic differences (if any) between the states and the UK is just a matter of interest....

cheers

Will

I remember when I was an undergrad (admittedly over 10 years ago!) there was a great book called 'Grub on a grant' which had some fab recipes using cheap cuts of meat (turkey escalope etc) some of which I still use today. It may not be in print anymore, but if you are doing something on those lines, trying to get hold of that book may give you an idea of the kind of costs.

Last year when I was a postgrad I would say I spent around £200 per month at Tesco, but that would have included washing powder, deodorant, toothpaste etc not just food. I also know that in comparison to some of my fellow students I was a bit better off - and you are right many undergrad students have no idea how to cook and waste money buying ready meals for microwaves! My fav was to buy the caserole veg mixes and potatoes and do a thick mixed veg soup - very nourishing and incredibly cheap!!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I'm at school and work on campus all day M-Th, and I most always bring my lunch. I'm fortunate to have a microwave and fridge where I work, so I'm probably an exception to most students, but I only spend a few dollars a week at school.
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

Moo!

One up on ya Dave, those portable Butane stoves prevalent in other parts of the globe are far better than hotplates. As for mikes, they're great at reheating things IMHO - the key is to be able to make stuff that refrigerates and reheats well.

You're absolutely right about the waste issue though.

More to this whole point of Dorm food, the question might be beter phrased "what is your budget and how much time are you prepared to invest in not getting scurvy?"

Beer and a well topped pizza covers the 4 food groups. I can do that with a BBQ and a 5 gallon carboy (...and still do)

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Up here in Canada on the food network there is a really good show called Oliver's Kitchen formerly known as Pucka Tucka.

The shows focus is on good meals quickly and is hosted by Jamie Oliver, a late 20's guy who talks about what to make for those on a budget.

Almost all of his meals can be made with what you have at home or you can tune in early and watch him go shopping and see what everything costs and see how you are doing by a comparison budget.

It would be worth while to try and tune into the show if you have the chance as you can fid some good tips as to what people in that group are looking for.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte