Rdutch

Rules of Pie?

Okay we had a discussion the other day and no one had a definite answer so?

What are the rules of pie?
When are people supposed to be pie'd?
when cant you pie them?

Skymamma wasnt pie'd for her 100th jump and she just did her 200th so we were wondering if it was ok to pie someone for their 200th jump. Im sure somewhere someone wrote the rulebook for pie.
Can you pie someone for their 200th jump, IF you dont get them the day they did their 100 can you do it the next. If someone doesnt buy their beer for their 100 can you pie them twice? Maybe if their isnt a rulebook we should all put our thoughts in and make one righ here.
Thankyou
Ray

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I think if you snooze you lose. If you all couldn't get your act together to pie me on that day, then I think you lost your chance. And, when I did my 100th, you all did say that if I bought beer, then I wouldn't get pied. I should have gotten that in writing!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If she hasn't gotten pied for her hundredth yet, then she needs to be bringing an extra set of clothes to the DZ every time she is there, because she is eligible to get it any time.

My understanding is that you get pied for 100th, 500th, 1000th, and each increment of 1000 thereafter.

But there is no statute of limitation on how long it might be before she get's pied for a pieable offense, such at a 100th jump. If she hasn't gotten it yet, it's open hunting season all the time.

I didn't get pied for my 100th until I had around 175 jumps. B|

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

I didn't get pied for my 100th.
my *friends* made up for it by getting me worse than any pie-ing should ever be for my 200th.
they tried to kill me and dumped flour down my throat and then whipped cream which made a chunky cement like paste. bad idea. i couldn't breathe. paybacks are not fun! :ph34r:

Its a must to be pied on your 100th. I think I'd of felt unloved if it'd been blown off. If it was an oversight it should definitely be rectified as soon as possible. Show the LOVE PIE her ASAP!;)

-

"How do you keep your feet on the ground when you know you were born to fly?"

My experience over the years with it has been this:

1. pied for your 100th, 500th, 1000th, and then every thousandth thereafter

2. even if they don't get you the day of your jump - you are still fair game - regardless of how long it takes. Usually the longer you go keeping it a secret - the more vicious a pie-ing you will receive.

One of the funniest pie-ings I was ever involved in happend about 8 years ago, when we pied a girl for her 200th. As we were rushing her with the pies, she whipped out a bunch of uncooked eggs from her pockets and started chuckin em at us. Needles to say it was a horrible mess:D:D

Zilla

have no problem with being unloved if it means I stay whip-cream free!

Feeding me an obvious straight line. "Whip-cream = love" then?
Just checkin'. :ph34r:

I knew that was going to get you into trouble!;)
-

"How do you keep your feet on the ground when you know you were born to fly?"

huh, pied, if anyone knows anything about being pied, that is me.
In our country we don't "throw" pies in our faces, instead the one who is "pied" has to present their butt so that everyone,who did what he just did (100 jumps, new parachute,...), can slap him on his butt.
and was pied about uff x times : first jump, first freefall jump, another dropzone (3 times), made license (we only have one - similar to D-license), first elliptical canopy, 100th jump, 200th jump, first 15000 feet, first baloon jump, another plane (2 times), i can't remember if i was slapped for my first camera jump but,... i think you got the picture :S
Anyway we slap each other "quite often", but i enjoy slapping others to, especially when a girl does something for the first time i already did ;)

"George just lucky i guess!"

Okay we had a discussion the other day and no one had a definite answer so?

What are the rules of pie?
When are people supposed to be pie'd?
when cant you pie them?

I suppose you could create a "rulebook" that lists specifics for your drop zone, but the policy will vary depending on the character of the local DZ's, and that is really the way it should be.

When thinking about "beer rules" or "pie rules", spend a few moments thinking about and discussing the history of the tradition, and the function it serves in our skydiving community.

Beer rules were developed long ago. The idea was for a beginning skydiver who just did something exciting or dangerous to buy the old timers beer, then sit around and talk about the "event." It was a good way to get the beginners and experienced jumpers together to share stories, and a great way to get the new jumpers involved in the club. Sadly, at many DZ's beer rules have evolved into a financial purchase without the discussion. When you write your "rule book" you should be sure to incorporate the function of the rule. And heck, it doesn't need to be beer, it could just as easily be pizza, wings, Cokes, or whatever will bring your jumpers together for discussion and the sharing of stories.

The pie rule developed as a way to recognize and celebrate an unusual accomplishment. The idea was to add some excitement to the DZ and define the accomplishment as something that matters. It should really be more of a big deal for the recipient than the attackers. At many DZ's the pie rule has become nothing more than an excuse to harass a friend.

Should your friend have been pied for the 100th jump? My hunch is yea, because it's a big deal to him/her. Likewise, so is the 1,000th jump. I wouldn't use the pie effect for middle numbers because it tends to reduce the social effect and importance of those key accomplishments. And remember that some people really object to being hit with a pie, so it would be a good idea to think of other ways of celebrating the accomplishment, and making your friend feel special.

As you write the "book" on pie and beer (if you do), keep the celebration fun and interactive, and maintain the history and tradition that created those moments and made them special on DZ's around the country/world.

-Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

they tried to kill me and dumped flour down my throat and then whipped cream which made a chunky cement like paste. bad idea.

Oh, quit yer whining will ya? For cryin' out loud it's been at least a year since your supposed 'near death' experience, let it go!

Ya try something that almost kills a girl just ONCE and you'll never hear the end of it! Sheesh!

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Ok so here are the RULES! so far.

You can Pie Someone for Their 100th, 1000th, and every 1000 after.

Their is no statute of limitations. (I think that maybe you can just roll it over to the next 100th jump as to not have random pieing.) Any Ideas?
One exception: People that bail after the jump then they are fair game.

What about the Pie only if youve been pie'd, that adds to it. If you pie someone before youve been pied, that adds to how bad your gonna get it.

Any new ones I missed or changes to be made?

Ray

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

How about graduation from student status? We often make it part of the level 7 debrief... Get the student standing outside with their back to the hangar, and sneak attack! I even get them to buy their own pies, sometimes. Tell them it's "tradition" to buy the JM's dessert and send 'em for pies...
BTW, the "unless you've been pied" rule is pied for the same achievement. To pie someone for 1,000 - you gotta' have 1000, yourself, etc...

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.