jfields

Flu Shots - Get Them?

I'm getting one this year. Last year I skipped it and ended up missing a week of classes. I lost 10 pounds in 3 days, even though I was drinking as much water as I could and eating whatever I could keep down (not much). Proabably should have gone to the hospital but I didn't think I could make it on the bus or on foot, and I didn't want to bother anybody for a ride.

I do not want a repeat.

i don't get them and i haven't had the flu since high school which was nearly 16 years ago. i personally think they r a waste of time and would probably make me sick. drink more beer that will fix anything!

It is better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!

I'm getting one this year. Last year I skipped it and ended up missing a week of classes. I lost 10 pounds in 3 days, even though I was drinking as much water as I could and eating whatever I could keep down (not much). Proabably should have gone to the hospital but I didn't think I could make it on the bus or on foot, and I didn't want to bother anybody for a ride.

I do not want a repeat.

If what you suffered from last year was the flu, you fought it off on your own and likely wont have a repeat this year! I say fight it off on your own and pass the secrets down genetically to your offspring instead of taking the shot, ultimately enhancing the virus in relation to your offspring's immune system.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

If what you suffered from last year was the flu, you fought it off on your own and likely wont have a repeat this year! I say fight it off on your own and pass the secrets down genetically to your offspring instead of taking the shot, ultimately enhancing the virus in relation to your offspring's immune system

Problem with this strategy:
1) When you fight off a viral disease, the ability or info involved is NOT recorded in your genes to be passed down to offspring. All you get is some activated B-cells in your own body that are responsive to that particular virus.

2) That same B-cell clone can be activated by a vaccine as well.

3) There isn't just one influenza virus, there are thousands. They mutate very rapidly, which is why they gotta come up with new vaccines every year. So, yes, a healthy person will nearly always survive the flu, but that doesn't protect you from next year's virus.

Incidentally, this is one reason why its so hard to come up with a vaccine vs. HIV. HIV mutates 20-100 times more frequently than the influenza virus.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

flu shot isn't a drug. It's all natural virus capsid!!

A capsid = the crunchy protein shell of a virus where the DNA or RNA is packaged.

What's weird about viruses is: they're so small, the capsid is made up of only a few hundred individual protein molecules. So when you look at an electron micrograph of one, they look like perfectly machined geometric shapes (at least adenovirus does. It looks like a 20-sided polyhedron, with a little spike with a knob at the end emerging from each vertex)
See, with so few molecules, there's just no allowance for irregularities, so the virus looks perfectly smooth and regular.
Speed Racer

Flu shots? Get 'em, don't get 'em? Fess up.

Me? I don't get them. The Army required me to, and I got sick as hell. Other than that, I have not had them and rarely get ill. So I pass on the flu shots.

You didn't even put YOUR reason in there! LOL

I don't get them because they make you sick. I don't get sick that much, so there is no reason to get myself sick on purpose.
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

Its a dead flu virus. It cannot spread.

Actually, it might not even be a dead virus. Most modern vaccines are just recombinant viral proteins, in which case it was never a complete virus to begin with and could never have reproduced.
Speed Racer

I am a molecular biologist. I work at a biotech company where we're using viruses to deliver therapeutic genes. Up until a month ago I was using adenovirus, now I'm using lentivirus!:o We're trying to find a cure for macular degeneration, the most common cause of age-related blindness.

Speed Racer

Ouch! Yes, I get the flu shot. I just got mine today. Even though I've never gotten the flu, I don't want to risk getting it either!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Answered it here.

I don't get sick. Why change my odds?

Oh, and I don't mind shots at all, so i picked the last option. I've had lots of shots that were specifically geared to make me forget, well, everything for a few hours. Usually takillya, but Southern Comfort does a good job too. B|
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I'm a nurse, so I get them every year. I don't want to get anything from one of my patients and would feel terrible if I gave something to them.
The only shots I really despised getting were the Yellow Fever shots I had to get when I was in the Navy. They hurt like the dickens and made everyone sick, at least the ones that didn't go to the gym right afterwards and work out hard for a few hours.

No way

For one thing It's preserved with thimerisol that's mercury to you and me. Lots of problems are related to it. Flushots are a scam.

Here's some good reading.
------------
2 different versions for this year:

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/quotes19.html
Quotes on Thimerosal (mercury preservative in flu vaccine)

http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/secure/index.cfm?FA=Fluprodinfoin

http://www.mmd.admin.state.mn.us/mmcap/pdf/flu_vaccine_insert.pdf

http://www.whale.to/v/quotes3.html
Quotes on the flu vaccine

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/quotes3.html
Quotes on vaccines in general

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Well I got the flu back in Sept before the shot was even being given out. I'm not planning on getting it either since the flu bug that is kicking it in Denver this year isn't even covered by the vacine (it mutated after they had already made it). Plus I would have to pay for it myself, so this would be my 10th year in a row with no shot.

I usually get the flu during the odd parts of the year when I do get it anyway, such as in the summer.
Fly it like you stole it!