Jessica

On the bus?

If I took a new job in the downtown of a huge metropolitan area, and decided to live in a suburb about 20 miles north, and I knew the traffic was going to be horrible....

would it be a good idea to ride the bus to and from work? I've never been exposed to public transport, really. There's a light rail coming to the suburb someday, but for now it's a 45-minute bus ride downtown.

Does anyone commute by bus? How is it? Traffic makes me crazy when I'm driving myself, and the idea of letting someone else do it is appealing.
Skydiving is for cool people only

When I lived in Boston I took a subway, train, and bus for a 2 hour one-way trip to work every day for years. I did not have a car at the time (by choice). I actually enjoyed the commute (except during blizzards, etc.). I had time to read the paper, drink my coffee, chat with other regular commuters.

I think public transportation is a great thing. The biggest problem is going to be where you live. If you are in an area where it is limited, you will learn to hate your commute.

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

I'm looking at living about three miles from a transit center. I'd drive to that, where I'd hop on a bus for a 30-minute ride, then catch a light rail for about 10 minutes to a station next door to my workplace. It doesn't sound too bad in theory.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I was a 'Power commuter' 3 hours EACH way to go to work, from NJ to upstate NY, and I can tell you a little about using public transportation:

Pros: No traffic, tolls, construction, weather to deal with, depending how long your ride is, you can enjoy some extra sleeping time.

Cons: Delays, schedules (including service availability)

I have a car, but if I'm gonna have a fix schedule and there's a train station nearby, I'll take public transportation.

Just my 2 cents.

If you're driving, you're sitting in traffic.
If you're on the bus, you're sitting in traffic... with a bunch of strangers.

Given those two options, I'd drive.

Personally, most days, I take the train. Takes me an hour by rail to cover what normally takes at least three hours to drive. I LOVE the train.

commute, it'd be fun before the novelty rapidly wore off! :)
Still, get a cd player and some headphones and lean back and power nap the whole way there. :D

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Take the Park'n'Ride. You get to work relaxed, having read something interesting. And you get to feel superior for having taken public transportation.

If you sit in traffic, you end up screaming at the morons on the freeway with you.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As much as you love to read, this would be a great way for you to relax before work, and unwind after work. Plus you don't have the stress of dealing with dumbass drivers.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Sounds to me as your contemplating Houston as a new city. If this is correct.. Then I would have to know where you plan on living to give an educated answer..

If it's not Houston I don't give a rats ass how you get to work or not.. :P

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

When I lived in Boston I took a subway, train, and bus for a 2 hour one-way trip to work every day for years. I did not have a car at the time (by choice). I actually enjoyed the commute (except during blizzards, etc.). I had time to read the paper, drink my coffee, chat with other regular commuters.

:D:D I can see 'Cakes now, "Fuck you shit-ear" Stunned passenger: "I only asked how you like the weather. . . . ":D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

And you get to feel superior for having taken public transportation.

If you sit in traffic, you end up screaming at the morons on the freeway with you.

I used to take a bus to work.and .never felt "superior"

"The busses don't work here, I'm an asshole"
(Charlie Sheen)

I would not ride a bus for my own safety, they're not always reliable, and weather, I used to have to wait in the snow, rain, sleet all winter long when i lived in DC, i grew to hate it.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

>If you're driving, you're sitting in traffic.
>If you're on the bus, you're sitting in traffic... with a bunch of strangers.

If I'm driving, I'm sitting in traffic. If someone else is driving, I'm reading, surfing the web or doing work. For someone with a 1 hour commute each way who does that for 17 years, that's a full year of their life they will never get back. Of course, if you like driving, that's a different story.