Chivo

Perris folks does GSM cell-phone work @ the dz?

I have service with AT&T and I'm considering upgrading my phone & service to GSM. Right now I have a Motorola V60 (TDMA). Since I rarely go out of the city, except to go skydiving, I'm curious about its coverage at the dz, and maybe on the road to the dz from LA. Any comments???

~Chivo

The GSM service you get is VERY dependant on the actual instrument you have in your hands.

Do a LOT of research on the AT&T web Forums before deciding which phone to get.

I persoanlly can't wait (but will have to) until the new v600 comes out next month.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The GSM service you get is VERY dependant on the actual instrument you have in your hands.

Do a LOT of research on the AT&T web Forums before deciding which phone to get.

I persoanlly can't wait (but will have to) until the new v600 comes out next month.

I thought this was true of most services= crappy phones, crappy connectability

GSM suckz... better stay with TDMA

And take a step backwards? :P

One word: Verizon

Remember, number portability is here and CDMA is the prevailing technology in North America. Greater capacity, better coverage characteristics, faster data, better technology than any Time-divided/channel divided technology (GSM/TDMA/iDEN).

Either way, your V60 is dual mode, so it'll scan analog if digital service isn't available.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

GSM suckz... better stay with TDMA

And take a step backwards? :P

One word: Verizon

Remember, number portability is here and CDMA is the prevailing technology in North America. Greater capacity, better coverage characteristics, faster data, better technology than any Time-divided/channel divided technology (GSM/TDMA/iDEN).

Either way, your V60 is dual mode, so it'll scan analog if digital service isn't available.

GSM is nice, but AT&T uses GPRS for data transfer. As far as I know, CDMA is still faster than GPRS. However, I haven't tested EDGE against CDMA yet.

I have the Nokia 6200 (GSM/GPRS/EDGE) and the Siemens S46 (GSM/TDMA/GPRS) ..two of the best phones I have ever used....with the 6200 getting full time use now. I drove from Chicago toTampa with just about full AT&TGSM coverage the entire way.

I'm thinking of eventually getting the Treo 600.