jlmiracle

question for hunters, game wardens, cops?

Okay here is a hypothetical question/situation. You are driving down the road and hit a deer, the deer is not dead but suffering (i.e. broken legs). You have a license to carry a gun and it's in your car.

1. Can you legally shoot the deer? if so can you do this with any animal?

2. Can you keep the deer after you shoot it?

I have not been in this situation nor do I know anyone who has been in this situation, just curious.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Call the conservation agent in your area, let him know that you're going to put the deer out of its misery. The conservation agent will come out and look at it, then its yours to keep.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Call the conservation agent in your area, let him know that you're going to put the deer out of its misery. The conservation agent will come out and look at it, then its yours to keep.

So you are suppose to let the deer suffer til the guy shows up?
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Cops gave us a deer once that was hit by a car. Woke us up in the middle of the night and said we could have it if we wanted. We lived next to a dairy farm and the herd master was also a butcher. We woke him up, he butchered it that night for us and we gave him half. Ate venison for weeks.

Legally, yes, you have to let it suffer until the cops show up.
Same rule here in VA. By law, you have to call either the warden, sheriff dept or police, notify them that you hit a deer and they'll come and kill it for you. Now, depending on the method they use to kill the animal you can keep the meat or not. In urban areas they use lethal injection, which makes the meat not safe for consumption, but in rural areas they can shoot it for you and then you can keep the meat. If the animal was killed in the accident, then you can keep it as well, after notifying them.
The best you can do is call your local authorities and they will let you know how it works. Remember that if you do not report the accident, then in most of the US it is considered poaching.

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

If he is suffering that bad, i would just run it over again.

OOHHHH:o.

Where I live the sheriff's department doesn't want to be bothered with a stray dog let alone a 1/2 dead deer, but during hunting season, the game warden is often parked in the lot at the dz.

Hopefully I won't be put in this prediament.

sadly if its suffering... its probably run away by the time ya think to put it out of its misery. its simply amazing how far/much a deer can run on three legs and a half and ass.
but IMHO, me kills it, me keeps it. Just call the local Game warden or PD and let them know. I know here they just tell ya "ok, your not hurt are ya?"

and WHATEVER you do DO NOT leave the deer on the side of the road and return to a DZ w/ damage and fur on the car with out the deer! that just a waste of a lot of BBQ! :o:)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

...the deer is not dead but suffering (i.e. broken legs). You have a license to carry a gun and it's in your car. Can you legally shoot the deer?

Beware - this is something that is full of pitfalls that could land you in jail, and cause the confiscation of your gun. State laws vary, and even from one municipality to the next. For example, in Texas it's illegal to discharge a firearm within a certain number of feet from a public road. That law alone, could get you arrested for trying to do the right thing. There's a reason for the old saying that "No good deed goes unpunished." If you're within some city limits, it's probably illegal to shoot a gun, for almost any reason.

Is relieving the deer's suffering worth risking going to jail and losing your gun?

Some cops would recognize that you did the right thing, and thank you. Other's would prosecute the offense, regardless of good intentions. The personalities of police officers vary. Beware...

It is not legal in the state of texas to discharge your gun in a situation such as this regardless if the animal is suffering or not. As well as there is no laws about carrying firearms in your vehicle unless it is a concealed weapon and it is loaded. Anyone in texas may carry a firearm in there vehicl as long as it is in plain view and the breech is locked in the open position. As far as the animal, if the animal you hit is in good enough condition to be proccesed the game warden is called to the scene and takes the carcass to be proccessed which is then given to state funded operations (i.e girlstown, boys ranch, etc etc). Did anyone know that it is still legal to carry a shotgun in the state of texas in city limits? Little known fact that I thought was total crap until I looked it up for myself. I love texas, wish I was there right now:(

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster
A.S.S. #6 Future T.S.S holder

Here in NY the dear are so thick that the cops don't even bother to come to dear struck MVAs unless someone is hurt. If you want the dear they will probably tell you to take it. It normally is obvious that it was hit by a car, a 12ga and a Buick do different damage to the carcass. In most cases the person who hits the dear just keeps going, leaving the roadside littered with brown organic speed bumps.

Well, I killed my first deer driving home in NJ. Doing 75, er 55 officer, at 10:00pm on 287 N just past the 78 interchange, actively checking because my buddies Z-71 was in the shop for door/quarterpanel damage. Well, sometime between when the highbeams passed him and my truck got to him, he decided to make a run for it.

Anyway, there might have been a decent take left. He must have been 160 lbs with a good sized rack [tunnel vision at impact]. But before I got out to go check, nine out of eighteen wheels must have gotten to him first. Naught but hamburger and chopped liver left after that. Good amount of nastiness for 40-50 yards.

If I could have, I'd have gone back with my knife and done what I could [being as I was back home in NJ, a knife is a much less serious concealed weapon].

Where are you located? Maybe someone could find the particulars, or show you where to find them.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Here in NY the dear are so thick that the cops don't even bother to come to dear struck MVAs unless someone is hurt. If you want the dear they will probably tell you to take it.

Same deer issue in NJ. Guess that's what happens when McMansion neighborhoods encroach on habitat and "reasonable" conservation is replaced with radical environmentalism.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

sadly if its suffering... its probably run away by the time ya think to put it out of its misery. its simply amazing how far/much a deer can run on three legs and a half and ass.

No doubt! One single deer was involved in three MV accidents in twenty five minutes. Totaled a civic, messed up the brushguard pretty badly on a Chevy, and finally got pinned under a tiny SUV. They had a BIO-ZOO prof come out with "the needle." Stank to high heaven, too. (happened early during the rut)

All happened at the U of MD College Park campus last fall.
witty subliminal message
1*

I hit a deer once and it was dead when I walked up on it. I hate to waist wild game so I took it home and butchered it. The only problem was there was so much bruised meat that I cut about half of it into dog food. And yes, this was probably illegal. But they way I look at it, it was the right thing to do.....Steve1

Shortly before I moved from Connecticut (where there it terrible deer overpopulation) I hit a doe with my car. It flew hundreds of feet through the air and landed in a front yard. It was dead, and my understanding at the time was that at that point, I had no authority/claim/remedy since it was on private property.

I imagine that your hypothetical would apply differently by state, county, even municipality.

Cool "curiousness" IMO... :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

in the state of texas... there is no laws about carrying firearms in your vehicle unless it is a concealed weapon and it is loaded. Anyone in texas may carry a firearm in there vehicl as long as it is in plain view and the breech is locked in the open position.

This information, above, is very misleading, and could get someone in trouble.

You cannot have a handgun in your car in Texas, unless you have a concealed handgun license, are going to or from an event where the gun will be used (shooting range, hunting trip, gunsmith, etc.), or you are "traveling", which is usually interpreted as being a trip of over 60 miles with an overnight stay. Before I got my CHL, I used to "travel" a lot.

Carrying a handgun in plain view, breech open or not, is just going to get you arrested quicker and easier.

Other states differ. For example, in Florida, you can have a gun in your car, concealed and loaded, as long as it is "not readily accessible", which means it can be in a holster in the glove box.

Did anyone know that it is still legal to carry a shotgun in the state of texas in city limits?

There are no prohibitions on long guns in vehicles in Texas. You can have an AR-15 with a 30-round magazine, loaded, and that's perfectly legal. You just can't have a handgun. Go figure!

There are no prohibitions on long guns in vehicles in Texas. You can have an AR-15 with a 30-round magazine, loaded, and that's perfectly legal.

When I was in highschool I used to carry a loaded 12ga in the back window of my truck. Along with many of my friends, we all had the proverbial "gun rack in the back window" Times have changed, you can still carry them that way if you wish. Just be ready to buy a new back window and replace your gun after some idiot decides they want it more then you...

Back to your question. In that situation depending on the time of day etc.. I would call the authorities to verify my legal standing on the matter first and foremost. Then dispatch the animal. Load it up (I drive a truck, doesn't everyone from Texas?) and eat pretty good on it for awhile.

Discharge of a fire arm is very limited in the state of Texas. And, as has been stated above.. depending on the cop you may go to jail ... etc...

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

...the deer is not dead but suffering (i.e. broken legs). You have a license to carry a gun and it's in your car. Can you legally shoot the deer?

Beware - this is something that is full of pitfalls that could land you in jail, and cause the confiscation of your gun. State laws vary, and even from one municipality to the next. For example, in Texas it's illegal to discharge a firearm within a certain number of feet from a public road. That law alone, could get you arrested for trying to do the right thing. There's a reason for the old saying that "No good deed goes unpunished." If you're within some city limits, it's probably illegal to shoot a gun, for almost any reason.

Is relieving the deer's suffering worth risking going to jail and losing your gun?

Some cops would recognize that you did the right thing, and thank you. Other's would prosecute the offense, regardless of good intentions. The personalities of police officers vary. Beware...

I was pretty much more concerned about discharging a fire arm that close to a road because it was my understanding that you can't shoot (hunt) within 100 yards (guessing) of a public road.

Taking the deer for processing was just kinda of an added extra.

So, as I understand all this, the best thing to do in my hypothetical situation would be to call the appropriate authorities.

Fla law. just looked it up. "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

State of Fla. selling wildlife or game; fines; disposition of fines.--In addition to any other penalty provided by law, any person who violates the criminal provisions of this chapter and rules adopted pursuant to this chapter by illegally killing, taking, possessing, or selling game or fur-bearing animals as defined in s. 372.001(10) or (11) in or out of season while violating chapter 810 shall pay a fine of $250 for each such violation, plus court costs and any restitution ordered by the court. All fines collected under this section shall be remitted by the clerk of the court to the Department of Revenue to be deposited into the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's State Game Trust Fund.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.