captainpooby

favorite zombie fighting weapon/caliber

I just watched 28 days later and found it disappointing having been set in the UK where they have been disarmed. I was expecting a good zombie shootem'up.[:/]

Anyway post your best zombie fighting weapon and caliber.
I prefer 5.56 NATO with an M4 carbine and Aimpoint or ACOG. Light rifle, light ammo so you carry plenty and the optics are great for CQB and fast target aquisition. A lot of people dont like the mouse gun/ammo but for headshots on zombies at close range it would be fine.

I would go with the 7.62, it makes a nice mess on impact. The 5.56 just makes a little hole, you gotta shot someone 3 times to knock them down!!!

Not true.
Some military 5.56 ammunition fired from the M4's 14.5 inch barrel will not have enough velocity to reliably fragment at distances over 100yds but at CQB distances with a head shot (required with zombies) I should have no problem.
Check this link.

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/bullets/

Not true.
Some military 5.56 ammunition fired from the M4's 14.5 inch barrel will not have enough velocity to reliably fragment at distances over 100yds but at CQB distances with a head shot

Not all of us have been issued the M-4 yet, second like the article said we cant use that ammo, As per nato we can only use a full metal jacket which does not fragment on impact.

What could possibly go wrong?

I can carry far more ammo than you and reload much faster.

And I wouldn't need to be quite so accurate.

You really have to be certain you get a good head shot. I mean, after all, we're talking zombies.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I can carry far more ammo than you and reload much faster.

And I wouldn't need to be quite so accurate.

You really have to be certain you get a good head shot. I mean, after all, we're talking zombies.

With the optics I'll be using I can guarantee a head shot at 50 yds. Plenty good for zombies and target aquisition is fast and easy with both eyes open as well. That way I can keep situational awareness. No Zulus sneaking up on my flanks.
If your using slugs you'll be good to fifty yds but not near as accurate as me. If you're using 00buck you wont get reliable patterns for head shots past 15 yds.
Plus, I can shoot 5.56 Alllllllll day long. Try 100 rounds od 12 guage slug. Owch!

"The BFG 9000: This gun has everything you need to solve any problem. The only hi-tech gadget that truly lives up to it's name, the BFG discharges energy to indiscriminately kill anything stupid enough to try and mess with you. For most enemies, nothing is left but a fine, red mist and stain on the floor. In addition, you can fire this baby anytime anywhere and you won't take any bullcrap damage from being too close like you will using a rocket launcher. The BFG 9000 is the first, best, and original Ass Kicking Weapon. Everything else is a cheap imitation. Oh, and there's no flashy bullcrap either. Look at this thing - it's just a bulky piece of metal that shoots things. It's not sleek or sexy or futuristic looking - it's ugly, unweildy, and 100% effective, just like weapons are supposed to be."

Just what you see on the wall Mac.:D

Sawed-off shotgun. No question. What the hell are you thinking?

i would go as far as a sawed-off shotgun. I'd want the damage area to be just a tad bit more concetrated. Don't want one of those fuckers getting to close ya know?

I'd go with either a Benelli M3 Super 90 or a Franchi SPAS-12 I'd take the SPAS-15 is you could get a 20 round barrel mag for it!!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Chainshaw - if its not a chainsaw why would you bother?
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

Loved that movie.....being a qualified zombie killer...thanks to the Resident Evil game series....a shotgun is the best all around weapon for taking the heads off of the walking dead...filling them full of 5.56 rounds is fun....but rest assured they will get back up...havent had the chance to try a 7.62mm in that game yet...but ...it would do much better than the 5.56 im sure.......mind you the 357 magnum works great for taking there heads off...

Now...if we go to the Buffy/Angel series...swords and axes seem to be quite effective in taking down our restless dead....

If I ever see one in real life.....well....think I'll just scamper off and hope not to see one again and quit drinking ;)

The scene when the chick went postal on her mate scred the crap out of me. One little bit of zombie blood and she went to town on the guy.

Interesting to note that the first weapon I picked up in Silent Hill was the piece of 4x2 with rusty nail.

David

As per nato we can only use a full metal jacket which does not fragment on impact.

5.56 FMJ ammo DOES fragment in tissue at velocities above 2700fps. Check this link:

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/

You can read all the reports you want on studies about M855 rounds that we are using today, they dont mean a thing . What matters is the troops in the field that have to use them. There was an article in the "Army Times" which reported that the biggest complaint from troops in the field is they have to shoot a target up to 3 times to stop it at close range. The rounds are so powerfull they are doing nothing but punching holes in them.

Since we are talking about zoombies I would want the BFG 9000 in anycase.:ph34r:

Zombies? Gimme an Eightball cannon any day. Primary fire is up to 6 homing rockets in a cluster or fan spread. There's nothing quite so satisfactory as having your victim trapped in a hallway when you get tone right as the Eightball loads the 5th and 6th rounds. Your reticle turns red and it becomes impossible to miss. And of course fired as a cluster the splash damage is unearthly....there won't be enough left of your zombie to spread on a pizza. If you're quick and you have a ping time of under 100 mS you can sneak up on em and they hear the tone and turn around to face you just in time to catch all 6. Not even a fully charged shieldbelt will save your zombie. This thing redefines "wallpaper."
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

As per nato we can only use a full metal jacket which does not fragment on impact.

5.56 FMJ ammo DOES fragment in tissue at velocities above 2700fps. Check this link:

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/

The steel penetrator of M855/SS109 is great for piercing light armor but it makes the bullets less likely to fragment. I said "5.56 FMJ" fragments.

You are being supplied with ammo the weapon was not designed for. The AR15/M16 rifle was designed by Stoner for a specific powder and bullet type.
You are shooting light AP rounds designed to penetrate vehicles and body armor at guys wearing towels and sheets thus you get hole like ice pics make.
You guys need good old M193. JMHO

OK that really means nothing to me. Simply put you can read all the reports you want on studies about M855 rounds that we are using today. Also refer to the "Army Times" whick reported that the biggest complaint from troops in the field is they have to shoot a target up to 3 times to stop it at close range. The rounds are so powerfull they are doing nothing but punching holes in them.

Now...if we go to the Buffy/Angel series...swords and axes seem to be quite effective in taking down our restless dead....

Bladed weapons are fun, but you really don't want to get that close to zombies if you can avoid it and there's always the issue of being able to swing the blades in close quarters, Thrusts are, uh, pointless in that zombies don't care if you stick them, since they don't die if you do. So you really have to go for the decapitation move which requires a blade swing.

Stick with the shotguns.

Either that or a SuperSoaker filled with Holy Water.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The steel penetrator of M855/SS109 is great for piercing light armor but it makes the bullets less likely to fragment. I said "5.56 FMJ" fragments.

You are being supplied with ammo the weapon was not designed for. The AR15/M16 rifle was designed by Stoner for a specific powder and bullet type.
You are shooting light AP rounds designed to penetrate vehicles and body armor at guys wearing towels and sheets thus you get hole like ice pics make.
You guys need good old M193. JMHO

Well that being said maybe I should have read your post a little closer. I can only shoot what they give me. If I were to buy my own ammo and get caught I would never be able to jump again except off the cot in my cell.

Zombies? Gimme an Eightball cannon any day. Primary fire is up to 6 homing rockets in a cluster or fan spread. There's nothing quite so satisfactory as having your victim trapped in a hallway when you get tone right as the Eightball loads the 5th and 6th rounds. Your reticle turns red and it becomes impossible to miss. And of course fired as a cluster the splash damage is unearthly....there won't be enough left of your zombie to spread on a pizza. If you're quick and you have a ping time of under 100 mS you can sneak up on em and they hear the tone and turn around to face you just in time to catch all 6. Not even a fully charged shieldbelt will save your zombie. This thing redefines "wallpaper."

Just what you see on the wall Mac.
5.56, 7.62N,7.62x39. 45ACP, 9mm.

Gee ... y'all didnt even put my purse gun on the list.

Sheesh such male chauvinism..my Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag with 3 maxfire speed loaders should do just fine.

Hello Mr. Zombie how you like my 240 grain jacketed hollow points.:)

Now if his friends were coming over to my house for fun. I have this nice little pistol grip pump MossburgB|