FallinWoman

Skymedic Threw his reserve handle...

Marc got his reserve packed up for this weekend.

Did a enjoyable solo headdown.

Deployed his Safire...pulled his slider below his slinks.

Went to hold his nose to clear his ears. Somewhere in there he dropped a toggle.

Toggle and slider spun up and knotted...he did not have it cleared by 1500 ft.

Peel, Pull, Punch.

Watch the reserve handle tumble away....:(

Marc landed fine, near his main and freebag.

Did I mention that this was his FIRST cutaway???

Case of beer to be brought to Chili party next weekend, along with a special gift for the rigger, who gets to pack the thing up again!!!

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

now, I can't help but point this out. I'm not superstitious but it is a kinda funny footnote to this.

Carrie and Brad were discussing the off landings they've endured and how annoying it was to get back, and Marc said, "I haven't landed off here yet."

I said, "yeah I haven't either, but we better knock on wood." I banged on the bench and he just kinda chuckled.

...as luck would have it...

Always good to have a spare reserve ripcord and cutway handle. The freebag & PC is easier to find and more expensive, so I don't have a spare yet.

Especially for those using an RSL, the reserve ripcord may be so kinked so that your rigger may refuse to reuse it (I think this is true, comments welcome).
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Oh yes...it was very interesting that this was the first time I've landed out at Archway....and I lost my DAMN HANDLE...GRRRRR...last I felt of it was the cable of the ripcord slipping through my big ol mitts....

oh well...its a great skydive when ya walk away...:)
but what really got me mad was the fact that this was the first jump on a VERY fresh repack...B|B|B|

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Especially for those using an RSL, the reserve ripcord may be so kinked so that your rigger may refuse to reuse it (I think this is true, comments welcome).

If I were a rigger, which I'm not, I would refuse to pack reserve cables that exceeded the maximum kink specifications for the type of cable used.

I don't know if there are rules saying that a reserve kinked more than "X" shall not be packed, and I bet there's no clear line between "almost too kinked" and "definitely too kinked", but I'm pretty sure I've seen specs for reserve handles telling what cable they're made of, and specs for cable telling what they're supposed to look like to remain in service.

I'd rather risk pissing someone off than risk killing someone.

But, this is just talk, since I'm not a rigger.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

was very interesting that this was the first time I've landed out at Archway....

i guess ya owe more than one case:P

1st cutaway
1st time losing reserve handle
1st time landing out at archway

hmmm..3 cases of beer buddy!!!

glad your ok ya did good!!!!
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

Carrie and Brad were discussing the off landings they've endured and how annoying it was to get back, and Marc said, "I haven't landed off here yet."

Interesting...I did not hear this little tidbit.....Sounds like he was just daring fate to hand him a cutaway....

I remember back to a Friday evening that my mom asked me what color my reserve was....I told her I wasn't sure....two days later I was sure as I deployed it.......[:/]

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

NIce job. Glad to see you kept your head in the game so to speak. I have yet to do that and really not looking forward to it. Be sure to give the rigger the beer he is owed. I am a Navy Rigger and it is custom if they use it they pay with gratitude. I have yet to have one of my packs used but it is a good feeling that what you did as an everyday job saved a life. It will make his / her day.
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Hey mike,

I collapse it and roll it tight behind my neck. it never pops up with constant head pressure. problem was this time I lost that toggle then I leaned forward to try to get it at the same time the slider went up and the whole thing knotted up like a beehive hairdo. NOT fun. worked on it and worked on it. but with all the recent slink, steering line deaths...I wasn't gonna play that game for much longer.

so i did what I did.

oh and who ever says raves dont have much flare...there right!!!!:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

but what really got me mad was the fact that this was the first jump on a VERY fresh repack...

Same thing happened to me on my reserve ride. I feel your pain, dude.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Uh oh.........
Definite loss of cool points for throwing away handle:(:(
Uh...........on my first one I threw away both .....in between screams.......B|!
Congrats and glad your safe!!!
Blue skies!!

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"