councilman24

Lap Rating Lives!

B|Here it is. Hot off the press.

Most likely the first civilian (not converted military) rating ever and first lap rating since probably the early 70's (last conversion of military I know of).

B|B|B|B|

Yes, I owe beer!

Thanks Jerry and Jim!
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Most likely the first civilian (not converted military) rating ever and first lap rating since probably the early 70's (last conversion of military I know of).

B|B|B|B|

Yes, I owe beer!

Thanks Jerry and Jim!

Too bad you're way up there, I'd get mine just for S&G!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well done and congratulations, Terry.

You know your story must follow, right? ;)

ETA: Am I the only rigger whose pulse just quickened and started salivating like a rabid hound!!!???

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

CONGRATS !

post a pictures of a LAP container.
tell the story

same same...

we want pics, and also want to know where to put hands on the rig :)
now if noone has a rating, how can you have been tested ? ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Not according to the FAA.

From airman database

TRAVIS CONRAD PERKINS
Address

Street 20701 COMO ST
City WILDOMAR State CA
County RIVERSIDE Zip Code 92595-8790
Country USA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medical

Medical Class: Second Medical Date: 2/2009

•MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Certificates
2 of 2
1 2
DOI: 8/27/2008
Certificate: SENIOR PARACHUTE RIGGER

Rating(s):
SENIOR PARACHUTE RIGGER
BACK
CHEST
SEAT

Limits

SEAL SYMBOL U49.

When he proves it I'll stop bragging;) The folks I had to get permission from in OK city and Washington didn't know about it either. And I only got permission for the inspector to test me because I had a brand new, TSO'd lap rig.

Story later.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

And I only got permission for the inspector to test me because I had a brand new, TSO'd lap rig.

The set-up for this story is getting better and better. I hope you're a quick typist!! B|
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

B|B|B|B|

Yes, I owe beer!

Thanks Jerry and Jim!

Congratulations!

Make sure you update your Rigging Qualifications in your profile.

And I only got permission for the inspector to test me because I had a brand new, TSO'd lap rig.

The set-up for this story is getting better and better. I hope you're a quick typist!! B|
and that would be more beer :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Hi Nic,

now if noone has a rating, how can you have been tested ? ?

As I have mentioned before on this site, the federal government is sovereign.

IMO that means that any FAA employee, should he/she choose, can administer the test & do the necessary paperwork to have the rating awarded.

That FAA employee is not req'd to have the rating.

That same FAA employee can waive anything that they want to waive, should they be inclined to do so.

Sometimes getting an FAA employee to do 'things' is not so easy. :o

JerryBaumchen

Okay, okay. Long version of the story to come. If you had been at the PIA symposium in Reno you would have seen it packed and heard the story.;)

But here is a photo. The straps to the sides of the container are the tie downs. It's was manufactured in Jan 2011 after development by the TSO holder myself and Jim Wine. I packed some under a lap rated rigger, some were approved by the FAA inspector and when I started this thread the inspector had just left after administering the practical and signing off the temporary.

A lot more to the story. The long version is in process but will be a couple of pages.

Now working on a deviation from the rules to allow me to administer practical tests sooner than 2 years. Washington, OK city and my inspector are supportive, just have to get it written and submitted.

More later

Long version below::P

The folks at the PIA symposium saw it packed and heard the story. But…

During conversation a manufacturer with a TSO for a pilot rig he said that he could build a lap type parachute under his TSO. That started it. Over about a year’s time we talked about it and then started in on the modifications. He made a prototype and sent it to me for comments and sizing. I have a Strong 26’ lopo in it at the moment. For the symposium it had a brand new one on loan from Strong Ent. Before and after it has one from 1978. I sent in on to another rigger, Jim Wine, for his comments and suggestions. We did this a couple of times before ending up with the final container and harness. Photo attached all packed up.

During this development process I went to my FAA Principle Managing Inspector as a new DPRE and said “I’m going to be walking into your office with a brand new, TSO’d lap rig in the near future. How do I get a lap rating?” His name is John and he was really supportive of this effort and the need to figure this out. I kept him updated on the progress of the rig and he kept me updated on his efforts. John does have a rigger certificate but only because of the need of the FSDO to have someone rated.
First he looked and determined, as we all knew already, that there were no DPRE’s with the rating. Then he went looking for a FAA inspector with the rating. One in the region told him she had all the ratings but later he figured out that meant to her chest, seat, and back. He finally determined that there were no FAA inspectors with the rating. I think at that point he realized that he would probably need to administer the practical and had permission/authorization/acknowledgement by his regional office that this was the case.

Then he started searching the data base for lap rated riggers, especially in this region. He found one that had a DOB of 1898. We figured she probably wasn’t around. He also contacted OK City and Washington and asked if a supervising rigger had to be current. The answer he received from Washington was no. He found a lap rated rigger who got his ratings (military conversion) in 1971 that lived about 2.5 hours from me. In his discussions with the Regional Office/Washington they indicated that even though my photos of my pack job are in the manual, I consulted on the design and I’m a co-author of the manual they wanted me to contact this rigger and ask if he would supervise at least some of the pack jobs. It turns out the guy, his name is Bob, owned his own steel fabrication business and was between contracts. He was willing to have me come up and do some packing with him. We both realized that this didn’t really accomplish much. He actually HAD packed a few lap rigs in the military and when he came out had his military ratings converted to FAA civilian ratings. But, he really hadn’t packed a parachute since then!

So I packed the rig some during development and assembly then went up to see Bob. I packed it 8 times one day under his supervision. He had a large shop without any activity at the moment so I set up tables right there and packed it. Bob was great, supportive of my effort and signed off the eight pack jobs. The rest the FAA inspector approved.

So I had a lap rig with a TSO label and a manual, a TSO’d canopy in it, twenty pack jobs in my log book (eight signed off by Bob).

John (FAA) and I had scheduled the practical for a day or two before I left for Reno but he came down with the flu and had to cancel. Otherwise I would have had the temporary lap rating at the symposium.

The day before the symposium started was the DPRE continuing education seminar presented by the FAA from OK City. During that seminar and in clarification from the presenter the next day I realized that there was a requirement for a DPRE to hold as a master rigger the ratings to be on the designation for testing for two years. While this was being verified the Washington FAA was copied. A day later during the symposium I got an email from the Washington FAA manager that dealt with parachutes. He asked if this was a certified emergency parachute (either TSO’d or military contract), when the last one was made, and if you sat on it like an old seat. I responded that yes it was a certified emergency chute, newly manufactured under a current TSO, so the last one hasn’t been made. That it was not a seat parachute but was designed for the lap and the risers were a permanent part of the harness unlike a chest parachute. Also that it was packed face down, head toward the canopy while a chest was packed face up, feet toward the canopy. My reply also included that the potential market for this was the light sport aircraft, particularly those with side stick controls.

The next day I received an email from this gentleman that he was glad it was TSO’d, a new product and that light sport aviation needed it. And that OK City would work with me on the exemption to the two year requirement for it to be added to my DPRE designation.

So, last week John made it down, I packed the lap and received my lap rating temporary.B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Got any plans on making more of these and some sort of plan on getting other people rated?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Two more rigs should exist in the near future. One on the west coast and one on the east coast. I'm in Michigan. As soon as I get lap added to my DPRE designation letter those two riggers will get tested. Then the three of us can supervise pack jobs. I'll be able to test. Other DPRE's are planning on getting the rating but they may or may not have a rig to use.

I've got a spare room.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Awesome! I can imagine these riggers will be busy with people getting the novelty rating... 'just cause'

Don't worry, I'll be in line too. :D

What exactly defines it as a Lap Rig? Is there some where a deffinition of the diffrent rateings based on the orentation of the container during the pack job?

Also it may turn out to be more then just a cureosity. I had a guy that was trying to get me to set him up a harness and chest rig for his powered parachute (trike). None of the back or seat parachutes were very comfertable in the seat. A lot of kit planes are real tight in the cocpit. Many people just can't wear a parachute in one.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

A LAP rig is similar to a chest type, with two exceptions.

First, the parachute container lays on your lap.

Secondly, lap risers are sewn onto the harness. Since it is impossible (for a competent rigger) to accidentally forget to attach a riser - on a lap rig - it is okay to install a square reserve in a lap rig.
Even John LeBlanc (Performance Designs) suggested installing a PD218 reserve in a lap rig.

Online search database updated!B|B|

Waiting on my card.

BTW I now own an original photographic print (not photocopy) of Leslie Irwin wearing his lap parachute. See attached. Also photo of his training rig (two parachutes) and three photos of his seat. Lap is lower right and is label as such on the back.

TERRY RAY URBAN
Address

Street 211 CHERRYVIEW DR
City PORTAGE State MI
County KALAMAZOO Zip Code 49024-6891
Country USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medical

Medical Class: Third Medical Date: 3/1991

Certificates

2 of 2

1 2

DOI: 3/2/2011
Certificate: MASTER PARACHUTE RIGGER

Rating(s):
MASTER PARACHUTE RIGGER
BACK
CHEST
LAP
SEAT

Limits

SEAL SYMBOL MDW.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE