jlmiracle

Fedex Plane Crash

In case anyone sent a fedex package today from California.

December 18, 2003

Memphis, TN - News Channel 3 has amazing amateur video of the pilots and passengers onboard escaping the burning plane. Click on the link to the left (below the pictures) to see the dramatic video.

A FedEx cargo plane caught fire on landing at Memphis International Airport this afternoon, but all seven people aboard escaped without serious injury.

FedEx spokesman Ed Coleman says there were two crew members and
five passengers on the MD-10. Coleman also says there was no evidence of an emergency prior to landing.

F-A-A spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen in Atlanta says the plane veered off a runway after landing. The right wing rests on the ground and there are holes burned through the right side of the plane's fuselage.

The plane was landing after a flight from Oakland, California. Memphis is the home base of FedEx.

Viewers have reported they heard two explosions at the airport. The airport has closed all traffic on runways 36R and 36C.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

36 means you land facing north (compass heading 360) L=left, C=Center, R=Right

Runway 18L is the runway on your left when you are landing to the south.

Runway 9 means you are landing to the east (compass heading 90) and runway 27 means landing to the west (compass heading 270).

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Thanks for stealing my thunder dude.

I read the question and went into Horseshack mode. Arm raised chanting OH OH OH. I Know this one.

But no... you have to be a smartie pants. All that studing I did for my Navy qualifcation. Now down the drain.:$

The next time this question gets asked it will be nailed by Ivan as a repost or something.
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Thanks for stealing my thunder dude.

I read the question and went into Horseshack mode. Arm raised chanting OH OH OH. I Know this one.

But no... you have to be a smartie pants. All that studing I did for my Navy qualifcation. Now down the drain.:$

The next time this question gets asked it will be nailed by Ivan as a repost or something.

OK, then we'll give you an extra-credit question: are runway numbers true or magnetic?

And another one: how precise are these numbers to the direction suggested, and why is that answer not as simple as it initially seems? Hint: the answer to this last part is a small part of why you want your airport map thingies (IFR approach plates?) to be up to date, or at least recent.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Q #1: I don't know, but I would think they would be magnetic rather than true.

Q#2: The are not precise. Rounded to the nearest ten degrees then truncated, although it is my understanding that many are further off than 10 degrees (ie runway 27 maybe should have been labeled runway 24 or 30).

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

And another one: how precise are these numbers to the direction suggested, and why is that answer not as simple as it initially seems? Hint: the answer to this last part is a small part of why you want your airport map thingies (IFR approach plates?) to be up to date, or at least recent.

It depends on where you are at. Lets say runway 25 (250 deg) is made at one place. Many miles or so a way another runway is made. it too is runway 25. But compaired to the first runways compass. The direction is 270. But would be 25 where it is built. If I remember correctly. Compass heading + or - 5 (or 7 deg).

I am not sure but the is kind of how I remember it.

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Was cool footage. BUT, How dumb are news crews. The reporter said it was badly burnt on the left side of the aircraft. It was the right. You look at it from tail to nose. Not nose to tail. Navy terms. Port side.

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Magnetic north changes slightly over time , in relation to true north(it actually moves in a circle arround the pole).So over time the runways do not line up with the mag line on which they were originally built.They do some times re-number them.