Anvilbrother

Solo, Silhouette, or Navigator

Ok here is the lowdown im looking for a new sport rig, and want everyones opinion. Ive talked to all the Reps, and read all the reviews/searches, but im not completely satisfied with what ive learned so far. Obviously demoing them all would be great if I could.

All canopies will be in the 290-300sqft range, they are all hybrid canopies 0P topskin, with f111 bottoms loaded at 1.11:1 out the door. I have 200 jumps, and have jumped paraflite 370's, Flik 354, Manta 288, and a spectre 230(loaded too high for me 1.3:1)

I have the option of getting one of the three listed canopies above. I would like soft openings, decent glide, good flare, and all will pack easily due to hybrid build design. They all will perform like student canopies when loaded like they should, which is what is bothering me. I want a large canopy that will be loaded appropriately for my jump numbers, but is not so sluggish and poor performing that I hate jumping it.

What I have learned so far is that the SOLO has almost no reviews, and looks to be their student canopy. The Navigator, obviously is a student canopy and is a square design, and the lowest on my list at this point. I am still waiting back to hear from PD but they make the Silhouette in 280 and 300 for military jumpers, and seems to be the best performing one out of the three, what do you think?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I'd forget about the solo. Haven't jumped a navigator but got the impression it's sort of the student version of the silhouette, don't know if that's correct.

Anyway I'd go for the silhouette. Too bad the pulse and sabre2 only go to 260.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

All canopies will be in the 290-300sqft range, they are all hybrid canopies 0P topskin, with f111 bottoms loaded at 1.11:1 out the door.

The solo is all ZP accoring to the website:

"Made completely from ZP fabric to maintain consistent performance."

And only goes to 270sqft.

So that would rule it out based on your desire for a hybrid that is "290-300sqft range".... Now personally, I would not care about the hybrid part.

The Silhouette is slightly tappered and not designed as a student canopy. But only built normally to 260sqft.

The Nav is a hybrid... But is a true student canopy. For fun I grabbed it one day and put a jump on it. It was pretty nice.

But given your comment of: "but is not so sluggish and poor performing that I hate jumping it".

Makes me think:

1. The Silhouette if you can get it in the size you want.

2. The Navigator due to your desire to have a hybrid.

3. The solo.

But you should really test jump them if you can. It will be difficult with the Silhouette, but the Nav and solo should be easy to get.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Cool...

But only one of the three is not a "student" canopy... the Silhouette.

So if you can get one in the size you want, that is what I would recommend.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thanks for the reply, im waiting to hear from PD on it now about price and availability of them. Now on to finding a container that will hold a PD281 reserve and 300 main. Wings said their largest w-32 is too small, Sunpath said their odyssey will work but damn its expensive:o

Edited to add UPT Vector v378 to the list of rigs that will fit that combo

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Wings said their largest w-32 is too small, Sunpath said their odyssey will work but damn its expensive

Talk to UPT (Vector/RWS). They have built big student rigs before.

Talked to PD they said CPS makes the 280-300 MS parachutes, and when I talked to CPS they were bold in saying that they could not sell to the public, only military:S really...its a PD product made bigger and sold to the government for 4 times the price probbaly[:/]

Have you considered Jump Shack's main and reserve canopies? They have 280 and 300 reserves, and 272 and 298 hybrid fabric mains.

It is too bad that the Optimums only go to a 253, that would really cut down on the container size. Remember that a Solo can be made with the ZPX fabric for lower pack vol, and it comes with dacron lines std, that will increase the pack vol a bit unless you order it with spectra.

You might be able to get an Infinity to fit your size canopies (they are of course the best container available :)

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The Navigator, obviously is a student canopy and is a square design, and the lowest on my list at this point.

Navigator is a student canopy, but it's not square. It's more semi elliptical.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Have you considered some of the big canopies offered by Flight Concepts?

http://flightconceptsint.com/

They sell a variety of large main canopies. Some are 7 cell, some 9 cell, some ZP, some presumably 0-3 cfm fabric (aka: "F111").

Model / Area / Max. Susp Wt.
Manta 290 / 290 / 319
Man-O-War 320 / 320 / 352
Startrac I / 265 / 291
Startrac II / 290 / 319
Startrac III / 320 / 352
ZP Manta 320 / 320 / 320
ZP Manta 290 / 290 / 290
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Nearly 1K jumps on Silhouettes. Sporty if you want em' to be (up to a point), SUPER easy to pack, docile if you wish, getcha back from a long spot, great flare.
Wingloading is important; smaller canopy/higher WL doesn't fly as well, IMO. Seems anything greater than 1.3 isn't as sweet.

They wont make a silhouette bigger than 260 and CPS makes the beefier version for the military in 280 and they wont sell to civilians. SOOOOoooo I decided to go with a Navigator 280, its a hybrid design like the silhouette, and PD said its basically the same thing but bigger and tamer.

Solo in a nutshell is a tamer version of our Pilot. It is a student trimmed canopy. It comes in two versions Hybrid, ZP top skin F111 ribs and bottom or Full ZPX for 100% ZP performance with low pack volume advantage.
We build it all the way to 270 sf that would be something between 280-290 in PD sizes since you are looking for more SFootage.

Mirage makes a large enough contaner for you. I've got a Safire II 269 and an R-Max 288 in mine with enough space in the main tray for a zp canopy in the 300 sf range. In fact, I've packed a PF 370 into the main tray (with the reserve still in) a couple of times before before for BASE jumping. It looked like a CRW dog pack job, but it opened ok. Jsut note that I was stupid, and that nowadays I'd never encourage people to use non-specific gear for BASE. .

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."