ltdiver

British Medical Journal evaluates need for a parachute!

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/327/7429/1459

Excerpt from this article's conclusion!

Conclusions As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health, the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised controlled trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption of interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.

Geeze! Who wants to volunteer for their double blind study that includes a placebo?!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hahah, LOL!

Man, these guys take the piss on the "evidence at all cost!" people in the health industry B|.

Gotta show this to my sis.

Also; read some of the replies to their article - they're pretty good too (example):

Well done, an article to bring a smile to the reader. I have often proposed a similar randomized controlled trial with respect to other such obvious phenomenon as oxygen requirements in humans.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/327/7429/1459

Excerpt from this article's conclusion!

Conclusions As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health, the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised controlled trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption of interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.

Geeze! Who wants to volunteer for their double blind study that includes a placebo?!

ltdiver

heh,
And the control group would not have one?

edit: Oh Come on! You know I meant Parachute.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Proof of what I've belived for a while, many a fuckwit got through med school!

:D

You do know it's a piss take on the Scientific method don't you:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

oo ooo I like the wrapp up paragraph:)

A call to (broken) arms
Only two options exist. The first is that we accept that, under exceptional circumstances, common sense might be applied when considering the potential risks and benefits of interventions. The second is that we continue our quest for the holy grail of exclusively evidence based interventions and preclude parachute use outside the context of a properly conducted trial. The dependency we have created in our population may make recruitment of the unenlightened masses to such a trial difficult. If so, we feel assured that those who advocate evidence based medicine and criticise use of interventions that lack an evidence base will not hesitate to demonstrate their commitment by volunteering for a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial.

:D:D:D

You have to read the replies to the article some of them are a cack:D:D:D:D
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/327/7429/1459#44656
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Man, this is good stuff...:P I am definitely passing this on...LOLOLOLOL...ROFLAO!!!!:D:D:D:D:D;)

Hmmmm...a double blind trial...so there will be a scientist that doesn't know that he is not strapping a parachute to someone who doesn't know that he isn't strapping a parachute to his back...hmmmm...::ponders::...:|
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Some of the replies are better than the original article.

"One of the research assistants (I) tossed a coin privately and told the guy fixing the parachutes to put a functional parachute in one backpack and another identically-looking-and-feeling mass of fabric and ropes in the other backpack. ...
Then, they jumped; the one with the parachute survived, the other guy died on impact (I, the outcome assessor was no longer blind to allocation). The survivor was psychologically devastated (felt worse than being dead) and killed himself 3 months later....
However, at 3 months there was no difference in mortality between the study arms; quality of life seemed worse for the subject in the parachute arm of the study. "

Superb B|
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....