drewcarp

Where are the big rigs?

Hi All,

So I have been paying attention to the classifieds here for a while and cannot seem to find a rig that I would think to be pretty common.

-- Something name brand (Mirage, Jav, Vector, Wings etc) just not a dolphin or something similar (sorry, i'm sure they are decent but I'm not going to buy the cheapest parachute system ever made).

-- Holds a 210 or 230 main and reserve. Everyone says I should buy something smaller but I would like the safety margin of a bigger canopy. I live in CO so I won't jump for a few months a year, I'm a more casual jumper than most at least now and I don't want to have to scare my self every spring. And the DZ is at 5K MSL, shit comes in sporty here.

-- Fits a guy 6'1 180.

Where the hell are they? I see tons of rigs that fit 130-170, a decent amount of tiny rigs and everything that holds a 230 is sized for someone 6'5 240. I saw 1 and it sold before I could get the cash together. Why is a newish rig that holds a 230 so hard to come by?

Should I just buy new? I don't plan on staying current enough every year to jump something small and plan on doing my best to avoid swooping, I'm more interested in wing suiting down the road (yes I plan to abide by the minimums) so I will probably stick with the same size canopies for longer than most. Even so most people say don't buy new for a first rig?

Thanks,

D

Are you looking at separate pieces? If you're only looking at "complete systems" you're going to miss out on a lot of opportunities. I have a rig that fits a 210/230 and I pieced it together (used container & reserve came together from one seller, used main from another, and a new AAD from a dealer). It took a little while but it all came together.

Assuming you're already doing that, consider posting a wanted ad. They're free - no harm to it and gear might find you (that's how I found my first main). Also, get in touch with the larger dealers to see what they have in stock.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There are usually two reasons people say not to buy new for your first rig.

1) most people think they will want to down size canopies within a year or two (even though that is seldom a good idea)

2) newer jumpers will often make mistakes on landings and tumble or butt slide possibly causing some abrating of the rig.

If you're not concerned about these then go ahead and buy want you want even if it's new.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I'll echo what others have said about buying seperate components. Between brands, sizes of main containers, sizes of reserve containers, sizes of harnesses, and assorted options, a complete rig is a combination of at least 10 different variables, and as such, your odds of finding one that meets all of your requirements (to include price) is a tough order.

Canopies are the easy part. Every Sabre2 210 is the same except for colors, and every PD218R is the same (and most of those are the same color). So once you know what model and size canopy you want, just watch for a good deal.

The rig is the hard part, but what you should focus on is the container size because that is what it is, and cannot be changed. The harness, on the other hand, can be resized to fit you. So if you see a rig that will hold the canopies you want, but the harness is not right, it still might be a good option for you.

A harness resize can cost anywhere from $200 to $500. What you do is get the serial number from the rig, and have yourself measured as per the manufacturers instructions liek you were ordering a new rig. Conact the manufacturer with the serial number and your measurements, and ask for an estimate for the resize.

The container might be a good enough deal that even with the cost of the resize it's still worth the asking price. If the resize makes the container too expensive, see if the seller will meet you halfway. Produce the estimate from the manufacturer, and if it's $350, see if they will meet you halfway and knock $175 off the asking price of the container.

Keep in mind that the resize does add value (more so to you). Generally it involves replacing all or part of the harness, which is value added to the container. Personally, it means that your rig is essentailly 'custom built' for you, and that has to be worth something.

The wing loading you are looking for is fairly conservative. So not many people your size will be jumping gear the size you are looking for (particularly the 230)

An option is to get the harness resized on a used container. I believe this adds around $400 dollars to the cost of whatever you are buying (you would need to check actual cost with the container manufacturer).

the looks nice,
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=99971;d=1

would need a main.

Edit:

Ignore the above link. I thought it included the reserve.

The wing loading you are looking for is fairly conservative. So not many people your size will be jumping gear the size you are looking for (particularly the 230)

An option is to get the harness resized on a used container. I believe this adds around $400 dollars to the cost of whatever you are buying (you would need to check actual cost with the container manufacturer).

the looks nice,
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=99971;d=1

would need a main.

Edit:

Ignore the above link. I thought it included the reserve.

Since it lists the reserve serial number and DOM, I think it does.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi All,

So I have been paying attention to the classifieds here for a while and cannot seem to find a rig that I would think to be pretty common.

-- Something name brand (Mirage, Jav, Vector, Wings etc) just not a dolphin or something similar (sorry, i'm sure they are decent but I'm not going to buy the cheapest parachute system ever made).
-- Holds a 210 or 230 main and reserve. Everyone says I should buy something smaller but I would like the safety margin of a bigger canopy. I live in CO so I won't jump for a few months a year, I'm a more casual jumper than most at least now and I don't want to have to scare my self every spring. And the DZ is at 5K MSL, shit comes in sporty here.

-- Fits a guy 6'1 180.

Where the hell are they? I see tons of rigs that fit 130-170, a decent amount of tiny rigs and everything that holds a 230 is sized for someone 6'5 240. I saw 1 and it sold before I could get the cash together. Why is a newish rig that holds a 230 so hard to come by?

Should I just buy new? I don't plan on staying current enough every year to jump something small and plan on doing my best to avoid swooping, I'm more interested in wing suiting down the road (yes I plan to abide by the minimums) so I will probably stick with the same size canopies for longer than most. Even so most people say don't buy new for a first rig?

Thanks,

D

Nothing wrong with a Dolphin.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3837351#3837351

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4030521#4030521

You're looking for something that lots of other people are looking for. That's why you can't find it.

People say to buy used for a number of reasons, primarily saving money. In your situation, you have at least two good reasons to buy new - you don't intend to downsize soon and you can't easily find what you want used. If you can afford it, go ahead and buy new. You'll be able to resell it quickly if/when you need to, and you can probably sell it for more than a smaller version of the same container/canopies.

You could also buy a new container, reserve and AAD and put a used main in it. Or a new container and reserve with used AAD and main. Or even a new container filled with used everything else. Building a rig from pieces isn't rocket science; you just need to know what you want/need before you start.

Have you tried talking to a gear dealer? Some of them are awesome sources of information, and I'd bet that one or more of them could put together a combination of new and used stuff that would work for you. They're only an email or phone call away... if you aren't lucky enough to have one at your home dz...

just not a dolphin or something similar (sorry, i'm sure they are decent but I'm not going to buy the cheapest parachute system ever made).

Nothing wrong with a Dolphin.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3837351#3837351

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4030521#4030521

To amplify on what David3 said -

The Dolphin has met the TSO requirements, just as the other rigs have.

Altico controls costs not by failing to meet TSO requirements, but by ensuring that other aspects of the rig are kept to minimum cost.

You better like black, and you won't be able to get some of the other bells and whistles that you can get on other rigs.

But, the harness and the reserve meet the same standards as the other rigs you mention.

Fine, if the bells and whistles are important to you, stay away from a Dolphin.

But you might have a tough time getting the exact bells and whistles you want buying used in the fist place.

So think hard about what is really important to you.

You might find a fine Dolphin that is "bare bones", but is otherwise perfect for you. It will likely let you make a bunch of jumps on the cost differential as well. Maybe that is important enough to consider should the opportunity present itself. Maybe that Dolphin gets you to where you can buy a new, custom, rig, quicker than some other used rig would.

Hi paul,

You better like black, and you won't be able to get some of the other bells and whistles that you can get on other rigs.

Other than colors ( which we all know about; don't we? ), the Dolphin offers everything, except a MARD, that any other rig offers.

Unless Mike has changed something & I have no idea what I am talking about. :S

JerryBaumchen

If your really really really looking for a great used rig....and have some cash..(b/c there are some used rigs that are basically new and the owner's don't have to sell them, they would just like to see them used) I have a rig that I'm willing to sell...
Wings W27 made for me 6'1" 225 lbs at the time
Main is a Safire 2 229 SF
Reserve is slightly bigger...250 ish SF i have to look.
Jumped maybe 125 times. All the bells and whistles at the time...custom colors Black/Red on the container and main.
No AAD!
NO reserve deployments!

If interested...we can talk. Cheaper then new...but not giving it away cause I don't have to. Later.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Well, you must not really be looking that hard. Or, your really not that interested in buying. I've offered you a rig, that you may or may not be interested in, and Nada, nothing. OK, I get it, you may not read your own threads, but I also took the time to write you a personal note...and you've ignored it as well. I would say your having issues with your computer or internet, but you've logged on. So, I guess the real dilemma is this, why are you asking for help, and then don't say thanks,,,or no thanks? Go figure.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344