Muenkel

How do you people who survived a serious injury, get yourself back in the air?

Building
Antenna
Stairs
Earth
?

NICE TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:ph34r:

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only problem is, I would start jumping down my staircase for fun. I don't think it qualifies as base jumping, but fun anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building
Antenna
Stairs
Earth
?

BWAAAHAHA only if he wear a rig and intend to use it,and not only to protect his back on the stairs...

Rember it never happened if you dont have video of it;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Lots of fuckin milk
Lots of fuckin gym time

Broke, pelvis 3 places, L5, and sacrum clean in half.

89 days and was doing tandems again.
Did more jumps last year than any previous year skydiving.

You'll never get back to regular life if you keep blaming someone else or something else on your accident.

You'll never get back to regular life if you keep blaming someone else or something else on your accident.

I never blamed anyone or anything. It was just an accident. Hell, I wasn't even drunk at the time.:P

Chris,

Well, I've read all the replies to this point and it seems we call all sum it up the same way: if you want to do it, do it. Take your time, make sure you do everything in your power to make sure you stack the deck in your favor, the biggest being getting your head in the right place -- meaning do it because you want to.

Only you can make the decision, but be assurred that doubts are not a disqualifying factor. Use the doubts like you use fear, to keep yourself aware of the dangers.

I shattered my femur like Tonto did, but did not get back as soon as he did -- a body doesn't heal at 50 like it does at 20, but I did get back in the air long before the medicos expected me to.

I prepared myself for my return in what I felt was the best way for me: I got a larger canopy, I discussed it with my S&TA and some instructors I respected, I spent time in the hanging harness to review emergency procedures and returned with a clear and pull in great conditions. I was nervous, of course, but I went back satisfied in my mind that I had done what I needed to stack that deck in my favor.

Recently I had to take another 6 weeks off after having the hardware removed from my femur; this time I didn't do all that as I felt much more current and capable of resuming where I'd left off.

Now I am facing a total knee replacement sometime in the next couple of years (and more than likely a total hip as well). My ortho surgeon said that I'd have to stop jumping then -- I just laughed. I told him about Pieces Of Eight and that if a lack of limbs didn't stop them, a prosthetic joint or two sure as hell wasn't going to stop me. He just shook his head and muttered something about crazy people, but he had a smile on his face.

My bottom line? Like Lisa said, jumping is no longer the all-consuming passion that it was when I broke myself, but it is a large part of who I am. It'll take a lot more than this to make me stop. What you do is up to you, but you can look to us for support as you did in this thread -- we won't get you in the air, but we can help you through the dark places if you want; it's up to you.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I shattered my right Tib/Fib August 2002, it took two plates and 14 screws to put it all back together and four months to heal to a point where I even considered the idea of jumping on it. With me there never was a doubt of whether I'd jump again, it was purely a matter of when I'd heal sufficiently to safely land.
I was nervous to say the least on my first jump back, but the nervousness wasn't about the jump it was about re-injuring the leg. It felt sooooo right, soooo good to be back in the skyB|;).
The longer a person has been in the sport the more likely they are to return after a serious injury and vice versa...
There was a article on this very subject in the current January 2004 issue of Skydiving on pg.18, I recommend you get a hold of it and read it.

Skydiving is a "Passion" for me, sometimes its a borderline spiritual experience and I honestly believe I'll skydive as long as I'm physically able.
For you it may be a different story, you have to decide for yourself;).

My sincerest best wishes on your continued recovery and I do wish that you'll rejoin us in our aerial playground.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

i don't know what your injury is, but i know for sure that the fact that you have something to look forward to, something to motivate you to recover is the best thing ever.

the human body can recover in an amazing way, i believe will power and having a goal is very important.

hope you'll be up and running quickly :)
O

I'm with falxori...despite the fact that I didn't have a severe injury...well...depends on who you talk to...I got to the door...looked at my coach...said and I quote "Oh, shit" (watching that on tape was hilarious!!!:D) and exited the plane...look forward to jumping again...make some small goals...thats what I did...I'm still working on those goals, and improving my skills to avoid making the same mistakes...Be safe, be aware, and triple check everything...B|...Get well...!!:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

either you do or you don't.

I've been really reluctant to post concerning your injury, due to the seriousness of it's nature.

All I can say is think Bruce Lee. If he can do it so can you.

And on a Happy New Year note, I hope all your dreams do come true this year. They're worth fighting for. Make yourself right.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I also hurt my tib/fib and another joint... they all twisted apart... I hurt it on 18 Oct 03. They put 5 screws in my ankle to hold it all together. I just got out of my cast about a week ago and am almost ready to walk with just a cane. I have to really work on my range of motion as it really sucks at the moment. I am hoping within (1-2 months) to be able to jump or at least ride my motor cycle again.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I also hurt my tib/fib and another joint... they all twisted apart... I hurt it on 18 Oct 03. They put 5 screws in my ankle to hold it all together. I just got out of my cast about a week ago and am almost ready to walk with just a cane. I have to really work on my range of motion as it really sucks at the moment. I am hoping within (1-2 months) to be able to jump or at least ride my motor cycle again.

See my post regarding my injury for some fun reading, "Crash and Burn", X-rays and photos of bad swoop" and "$18.000 skydive" (turned out to be closer to $22.000)

Yep'pers, I know how your feeling, ah the sweet agony of severe injury:P.
Did you fracture any bones or just (Just... :S)tear the ankle joint and its connections apart?
I think that twisting a joint apart could be much worse than fractures due to all the ligament and cartilage damage, my doctor stressed how lucky I was that he was able to reconstruct the ankle socket formed by the Tib/Fib.
Rehab must become a religion to you, I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!
rehab is the key to recovery of your mobility, you must do everything they tell you and more. Do your exercises slowly and methodically, push the limit but don't overstress.

Rehab must become a religion to you, I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!
rehab is the key to recovery of your mobility, you must do everything they tell you and more. Do your exercises slowly and methodically, push the limit but don't overstress.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Damn! There you go reminding me to keep up with the sit-ups and stretches!
Had to take a break from the key board to do 35 sit-ups.
Seriously, back in 1987 I threw my back out - herniated a disc in my lower spine - and delayed visiting the doctor until my left leg cramped up solid.

The first winter I took the pills they offered and spent a lot of time laying on the floor moaning about the pain.

The second winter I taught myself how to swim and was far more cheerful. Ballooning up to 200 pounds sure helped with flotation.

The third winter I took up aerobic dance and got strong enough to jump every weekend that summer.

Since then I have done over 3,000 skydivers, 2500 of them with tandem students. The only downside of my recovery is that I can never slack off on the exercises that keep my spine in alignment (sit-ups, stretches, etc.).

Over the years I have also damaged an ankle, a knee, a thumb and a bone in my other foot. The key to recovering from every injury was exercise.

It does not matter whether you damage bone, ligaments, muscles or nerves, the key to recovery is strengthening the muscles surrounding the injury. With nerve damage, you have to perform a motion thousands of times to force other nerves to grow around the damaged nerve, so they can take over the function of the damaged nerve.

Never give up! Never surrender!

This past May I was doing a HALO jump and on the way out I hit the door frame; dislocating my left shoulder, once the rest of my body was out I bounced my head off of the side of the plane knocking me out!!!! I was at 31k when we left the plane and woke up at about 7k still not knowing where I was!!! Once realizing where I was I deployed my main. I flew my pattern and had a stand up landing . . . followed by me standing there for a few seconds and then falling over from almost passing out. I had a concussion and a dislocated shoulder ( nothing was broken)
My head recovered in about a week or two. My shoulder is just now getting back to the way it was before I got hurt. I had to lay off from exercising it for about a month. Then I went back to the gym and slowy rehab it myself. I took it day by day making the best out of it. After a while you will begin to notice yourself getting better.

I will have to agree with jeremyneas on the going to the gym. I work out everyday, and have for the past several years. Once you get hurt and then heal up, you must take your time trying to get back into the swing of things. Make the best out of each day and remember what yesterday was like.

As for getting back to skydiving . . . after I have been hurt a few times it takes me several jumps before I get comfortable in the whole process.
Back in october I had a hard landing and jammed my left hip. It hurt like a "BIG BITCH". Since I have been back jumping from that injury I have still yet to have great stand up landings!!!!

Give it time and you will get there, never leave sight of where you want to go!!!!

drakeshelby
drakeshelby

Since then I have done over 3,000 skydivers

Damn that is a bunch of skydivers there guy. How do you keep track of their names? :ph34r:

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Since then I have done over 3,000 skydivers

Regular old horndog aren't ya, sounds like the crack of dawn isn't safe.
All that humping and pumping aught to have done wonders for your back:P.

It does not matter whether you damage bone, ligaments, muscles or nerves, the key to recovery is strengthening the muscles surrounding the injury. With nerve damage, you have to perform a motion thousands of times to force other nerves to grow around the damaged nerve, so they can take over the function of the damaged nerve.

Yep, so true, so true.
The problem with tearing up ligaments and cartilage is they can take soooo much longer to heal and regenerate. As for nerves I still have nerve damage in my foot, probably will for life, no impairment just gotta live with it.

I had a hard opening that brusied a lung and did quite a bit of soft tissue damage in my neck that still bothers me 7 months later. But it would take a Doctor saying my next jump could make me an invalid for the rest of my life if I didn't stop, to keep me out of the sky. I jump as much as my neck can tolerate and deal with it. I know the risk and I accept it. Without skydiving my wife would have to put me in a rocking chair on the back porch so I could watch the grass grow. There wouldn't be much to life without it. ;)

My knee injury was not nearly as bad as everything I've read. Nevertheless, it was the fear of not making the next jump that got me in the air again. I knew that if I didn't do it I would be too scared to jump ever again. To me that was unacceptale and I knew I would reget it for the rest of my life. But that's juat me. Bottom line, you have to decide what you want to do and what you're comfortable with doing.. but that's just my opinion :)

BikerBabe is hardcore. Like me.

I jumped with sprained knees (two do to stupid downsize maneuvers) and broken ankle (issues with Perris's "first down sets the pattern") and I started jumping before I was "healthy"

Whatever. When I was in sports it was called "commitment" and when I was a cop it was called "duty". Mostly it is selfish. I wanted to get back to doing something I loved. Something I did well.

You're 40 Chris. Like me. Make your decision and stick with it. Decisions should be nothing new.

JP