Ikagai

step through

how did you get cleared for packing without being shown what a step through is/fix/notice?

You didn't know yourself (before reading other replies already now in this thread) that it could have happened well AFTER he had done his full line run-up and closed the bag - done all the line-stows perfectly AS NORMAL, but then just maybe gotten up from only needing just to close the container for instance - to get his pull-up chord, or to get himself a soda; then comes back and INADVERTENTLY in his inexperience - handled the bag such that he put it only THEN, back through a line group, that at that point CAUSED the step-through. That is also abundantly clear by your reply/post too. - BUT YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ADMIT IT! - Twit. [:/]

At your experience-level you REALLY should be listening more, and posting less - unless it is yourself to maybe ASK QUESTIONS. >:(

Oh sorry, I forgot ... then again, you already clearly - are an (if not obviously THE) unquestionable quintessential AUTHORITY on absolutely everything skydiving & skydiving related. My bad. So sorry... Carry on. :S
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

how did you get cleared for packing without being shown what a step through is/fix/notice?

You didn't know yourself (before reading other replies already now in this thread) that it could have happened well AFTER he had done his full line run-up and closed the bag - done all the line-stows perfectly AS NORMAL, but then just maybe gotten up from only needing just to close the container for instance - to get his pull-up chord, or to get himself a soda; then comes back and INADVERTENTLY in his inexperience - handled the bag such that he put it only THEN, back through a line group, that at that point CAUSED the step-through. That is also abundantly clear by your reply/post too. - BUT YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ADMIT IT! - Twit. [:/]

At your experience-level you REALLY should be listening more, and posting less - unless it is yourself to maybe ASK QUESTIONS. >:(

Oh sorry, I forgot ... then again, you already clearly - are an (if not obviously THE) unquestionable quintessential AUTHORITY on absolutely everything skydiving & skydiving related. My bad. So sorry... Carry on. :S[/reply

it is true that can happen well after he bagged his canopy....

if you had read my posts you would see that my point was that the OP should know what causes a step through.... which is taught IN A PACKING LESSON so when it happens in a situation like this he would've known what causes them even if he accidently messed up on packing
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Oh sorry, I forgot ... then again, you already clearly - are an (if not obviously THE) unquestionable quintessential AUTHORITY on absolutely everything skydiving & skydiving related. My bad. So sorry... Carry on. :S

it is true that can happen well after he bagged his canopy....

if you had read my posts you would see that my point was that the OP should know what causes a step through.... which is taught IN A PACKING LESSON so when it happens in a situation like this he would've known what causes them even if he accidently messed up on packing

FIFY - tough to follow when the reply bracketing is messed up.

if you had read my posts...

I read your posts. I pasted it, in it's entirety right to what I was responding to. It is clear you yourself HAD NO CLUE, and if you were big enough to admit it - would instead state that you yourself may have just LEARNED something here. ...Something that you cannot do BTW, while YOUR "gums are flapping". FWIW.

Yet instead, you continue to post (and post, and post, and post...) AUTHORITATIVELY - again, as if you are an authority, or an expert - which you are NOT. >:([:/]

Again - I've learned over the years that "while I am talking" I am not learning anything. In order to learn, sometimes you need to SHUT UP AND LISTEN. Which is what I am going to do now (I've said my peace to you now on this & I am done with you). I anxiously await your next pearls of wisdom then, I suppose (from your point of skewed view) will no doubt regardless of what anybody else too has already tried (as yes - I've seen too) "advise you" / guide you about - to still rather, regardless - now be bestowed upon me.

I am nobody. I've only been doing this now for @ 15 years and have just shy of 3,000 total jumps. I ask questions in here (mostly/usually :)), and I seek help, guidance and answers. I provide them, when I have them - and I know them. You, on the other hand, apparently already have all the answers (to everyone / everything) though.

So then, please do - feel free I suppose... Lay them upon me! - I am going back to shutting up and listening now.

I will remember to just simply come directly to you first then with anything, and absolutely everything I have. Will save me a whole lot of time and bother, for sure. B|

Blue Skies,
-Grant

if you had read my posts...

I read your posts. I pasted it, in it's entirety right to what I was responding to. It is clear you yourself HAD NO CLUE, and if you were big enough to admit it - would instead state that you yourself may have just LEARNED something here. ...Something that you cannot do BTW, while YOUR "gums are flapping". FWIW.

Yet instead, you continue to post (and post, and post, and post...) AUTHORITATIVELY - again, as if you are an authority, or an expert - which you are NOT. >:([:/]

Again - I've learned over the years that "while I am talking" I am not learning anything. In order to learn, sometimes you need to SHUT UP AND LISTEN. Which is what I am going to do now (I've said my peace to you now on this & I am done with you). I anxiously await your next pearls of wisdom then, I suppose (from your point of skewed view) will no doubt regardless of what anybody else too has already tried (as yes - I've seen too) "advise you" / guide you about - to still rather, regardless - now be bestowed upon me.

I am nobody. I've only been doing this now for @ 15 years and have just shy of 3,000 total jumps. I ask questions in here (mostly/usually :)), and I seek help, guidance and answers. I provide them, when I have them - and I know them. You, on the other hand, apparently already have all the answers (to everyone / everything) though.

So then, please do - feel free I suppose... Lay them upon me! - I am going back to shutting up and listening now.

I will remember to just simply come directly to you first then with anything, and absolutely everything I have. Will save me a whole lot of time and bother, for sure. B|

Blue Skies,
-Grant

you obvisouley didn't read my posts and went straight to flaming me and reiterrated my orginal point. which was that fuck ups can happen even if you were taught to pack properly. you shouldn't have to ask on this website "what causes a step through?" because it should be explained in a packing class
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

you obvisouley didn't read my posts and went straight to flaming me and reiterrated my orginal point. which was that fuck ups can happen even if you were taught to pack properly.

You've "obvisouley" edited at least one of your posts after the fact. Who knows what anyone did or did not read?

You didn't go sneaking an "obvis" mistake outta there, did ya?
Owned by Remi #?

he started flaming me way afte i made a clarification edit on my second post....

glad to see i have another "hater" who would rather flame me than think about my point

he started flaming me way afte i made a clarification edit on my second post....

glad to see i have another "hater" who would rather flame me than think about my point

I'm amused by you to a degree. I certainly don't hate you, but I do hate some of the grossly inaccurate things you say and inappropriate or misleading advice you give.

You're on shaky ground, Pete. My recommendation is don't edit anything any more. Admit your mistakes when you make them and ratchet down the talk to listen ratio a hell of a lot.
Owned by Remi #?

The only tool in your toolbox is a hammer. The way you drive your point is not exactly smooth :D

Offer suggestions if you wish but remember, you're a 100 jump wonder with a packing habit. It's mildly entertaining but I know better.

As an example, your first post was this:

"how did you get cleared for packing without being shown what a step through is/fix/notice?"

Does that sound like advice or does it sound like you're being an ass? Depending on the desired effect of your post, it may have been a good one B|

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Well I'll actually defend petejones45 in this thread, even if IN GENERAL his posts are often pretty stupid, and he should learn when to stay quiet.

His one liner about whether the OP had been taught packing properly might be a little harsh, but nothing out of the ordinary for DZ.com, something that many people might have posted.

It is still good that the original poster asked about step throughs to learn more, but inevitably someone would ask about his training.

can't remember.

the next post wasn't for an hour later so your argument is not applicable in the fact that i had said something and went back and covered my tracks

It's simple, Pete. It's not valid to use " read my original posts" as an argument when you have altered your original posts and the original content isn't there any more.

You've put yourself in a position where editing, back tracking, and not being able to remember what you said draw even more negative attention from people who are clearly becoming very annoyed with you.

Simple, huh?
Owned by Remi #?

It's simple, Pete. It's not valid to use " read my original posts" as an argument when you have altered your original posts and the original content isn't there any more.

You've put yourself in a position where editing, back tracking, and not being able to remember what you said draw even more negative attention from people who are clearly becoming very annoyed with you.

Simple, huh?

Living in his "own private Idaho" perhaps?

sooooo back on topic.
Don't feel bad, shortly after getting my A I was packing very very quickly and obviously didn't notice a step through. I about shit my pants when I opened and looked at my risers. I kida freaked and didn't know what the hell was wrong at first. But I did a controllability check and everything worked fine and the twists were all the way down above my rings so I landed it just fine with no problems. Suffice to say I learned a big lesson and took it very seriously and was very hard on myself for missing something so evident. Every once in awhile in skydiving you slip a little, most of the times you get lucky, DO NOT take those for granted or become complacent. Every time you or someone you hear about "slips" analyze it an try to learn from it! This is why I didn't try to hide from the people that I jump with that I fucked up. I actually pointed it out and had a discussion about it.

A step through can be caused while packing. I did it when I had somewhere around 40 jumps. Packed it up normal and flipped the bag through the lines before closing the container. When I was packing it I found it odd that I had to pull my pilot chute through the lines but it didn't cross my mind at that time that I had done something wrong[:/]

Pretty sure that's not the only step through you've packed.;)

my orginal point. which was that fuck ups can happen even if you were taught to pack properly. you shouldn't have to ask on this website "what causes a step through?" because it should be explained in a packing class

Part of your generally acknowleged problem, Pete, is that you don't know the difference between "should" and the real world. Lots of skydivers, with lots of experience, come here with questions. According to your logic, however, there shouldn't be a Forums here because everthing "should" be covered locally.

Your OP, by the way, isn't about fuck-ups can happen:

"how did you get cleared for packing without being shown what a step through is/fix/notice? "

It shows your ignorance to post this once, let alone again and again.

There isn't a Universal Packing Instruction Manual For Beginners - packing lessons can be pretty informal.

I think the general concesus is that you should keep your posts to the BF and SC but refrain from posing in S&T, G&R, I, I and GS. You have little to offer and much to learn.

I've noticed a lot of that directed at you. Have you?

I could be completely off base here; however. You could be the Holy Grail Skydiver and I'm just too damn stubborn to see it. :S

in order to be cleared for packing unsupervised, here you have to make a "packing-test". you get a messed up rig with a step-through AND the other common mistake, one above, the other below the slider.. i've had like 45 minutes to get it all cleared, it was a MESS.

oh, and i got to do it pretty much at the end of my AFF-week.. i liked that!

I like that, too...very much.
Beats the holy hell out of just saying, "Do this, do that" and then turning your back on them.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well I'll actually defend petejones45 in this thread, even if IN GENERAL his posts are often pretty stupid, and he should learn when to stay quiet.

His one liner about whether the OP had been taught packing properly might be a little harsh, but nothing out of the ordinary for DZ.com, something that many people might have posted.

It is still good that the original poster asked about step throughs to learn more, but inevitably someone would ask about his training.

+1
Pete can be obnoxious when he wants to. His questioning the OP's training is not one of those times. I'm glad he asked.

To those who are bitch-slapping him:
...about what he did or didn't know before he posted...

So what! Is it a requirement that one knows all there is to know before one points out an potential flaw?
I think not.

One way to learn is to tell what you think and then absorb the corrections. Yes, I agree that Pete sometimes doesn't take corrections to heart. But you have to admit that he's really good at making statements that generate commentary....too bad that many people elect to make derogatory comments instead of helpful ones. And yes, I've been guilty of that myself.

To Pete:
Honestly, dude...you would be doing yourself a great service if you would do this:
1. Let the derogatory stuff pass without comment.

2. Ask more, advise less. Take the good advice in, think about it, get clarification, and take it to heart if you decide that it is right for you. That includes talking things over with your local boys and girls to help make those decisions.,,,just as any young jumper would and should.

3. Eliminate the smart-ass retorts even when you get one.

4. Set the ego aside. Think with your brain instead of your heart.

You've made a very negative name for yourself here already. It's going to be tough to overcome that...if you want to, that is.

no need to get angry at them. they did teach me that and they are very professional.

the thing about flipping the whole D-bag just before you tuck it in the rig sounds like the thing i might have done that day.
i will pay more attention to that in the future.

Cheers

See this?

THIS, my friends, is a wonderfully mature response to a post that "hammered" his training.

Pete?

Nice, well thought-out, EXTREMELY "PC" Reply. I sincerely hope your approach Pops, actually works - and is actually given the recompense consideration, thought also applied to it by whom it is addressed, and taken to heart.

This thread should not become a "PeteJones Bashing" playground either, in any case - as that also - is not the intent of these threads and forums (at least the topical ones anyway) either. However, where it is in now, as noted a "topical" forum - I do think one point of yours stands out amongst the others, applies here - and bears repeating:

2. Ask more, advise less...

+1

Just in my OBSERVATION (and not necessarily this particular thread - perhaps this was not the absolute most poignant, or best one to speak-up in) - Therein lies the problem. I am legitimately concerned that someone, somewhere - during one of his (well known to be) "ADVICE" posts, is going to take his (unfortunately often to be actually even dead WRONG) "advice" as being authoritative. >:(

PeteJones - All I (and others) have REALLY been trying to tell you, is what Popsjumper is now also saying to you here. I sincerely hope you can find a way to truly consider the (actually well-meaning) advice being attempted to be bestowed upon you by many well more experienced than yourself (and even I) - and that you can (positively, effectively) take it to heart.

Coming across as cocky, and arrogant, and "know-it-all" at your experience level and only just 1st year in the sport is not only just not going to win you any friends or (truly) actually "influence" (positively) anybody - it is also, just plain flat-out - WRONG. Period.

Take the advice (from whichever replies and perspectives - as I've seen, you've already had many! ;)) - Or don't. Your choice. Personally, I don't see where the confrontationalism - with anybody (and nearly everybody) - is really going to serve you well at all, in any way - in even YOUR (actual) skydiving career.

You see, we've seen several "PeteJone's" come & go over the years. You may think you are unique - but trust me, you are not. I'll keep my eyes & ears open though, for those smelly peppers.

Blue Skies,
-Grant