jraylitt

rigging

Hey I have the gopro and I'm curious what people have to say about attachment points on a skydivers helmet? What would be considered the safest and least likely to get in the way. I'm probably looking at mounting the cam on the top of my benny helmet towards the front.

At 33 jumps, I know you're anxious to share your skydiving experiences with friends, but quite frankly, you don't have enough experience yet to be worrying about putting a camera on your head. Save it for when you've got a couple hundred jumps. I know that's not what you want to hear, but someone has to say it. Now, feel free to ignore such advice and go out there and hurt yourself!

What would be considered the safest and least likely to get in the way

In your gear bag.

I wanted someone with more credibility to say if first.

Either there or in the hands of a friend to get footage of your landing for critique by an instructor.

It really has no business on your head at this point. Read the "Stickies" in the Photog & Vid forum for a lot of reasons why.

Or as JohnRich said, ignore the advice and do what you want.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Consult your DZs DZO, S&TA, and head camera guy before doing anything. They will ultimately make the call if you or your helmet is safe to jump, so you might as well get their pre-approval before moving forward.

What is wrong with making a setup beforehand???
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Hi there, i never did anything like that, but have a look on your dz and you will see somebody with a gopro, or do a search on google....

in my opinion is useless ask this question on dz.com, even if you are not going to jump and just want to do your setup, people worry about you getting hurt beforehand
Julio Cesar
blue skies

Hi there, i never did anything like that, but have a look on your dz and you will see somebody with a gopro, or do a search on google....

in my opinion is useless ask this question on dz.com, even if you are not going to jump and just want to do your setup, people worry about you getting hurt beforehand

i agree they are always to quick to criticize but don't have the balls to admit they haven't done anything wrong or unsafe" in their career
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

i agree they are always to quick to criticize but don't have the balls to admit they haven't done anything wrong or unsafe" in their career

I know this is a stretch, but just maybe "they" have done unsafe things in the past and paid the price in physical pain. And just maybe they've seen their friends suffer for doing unsafe things.

And maybe - a small chance, mind you, but still - they don't want to see others get hurt or die from the exact same things that injured them or killed their buddy.

Nah. You're right. It's just that we don't got balls like you.

to make more clear, people on the dz.com wants to say what is right to do, but people forget than dz.com is not his DZ and will never stop him to jump with any camera trough the forum, HIS DZO, DADY or S&TA can and they will stop him to do it... or is possible to jump without going with a plane full of jumpers and some instructors?
Julio Cesar
blue skies

I know this is a stretch, but just maybe "they" have done unsafe things in the past and paid the price in physical pain. And just maybe they've seen their friends suffer for doing unsafe things.

And maybe - a small chance, mind you, but still - they don't want to see others get hurt or die from the exact same things that injured them or killed their buddy.

Nah. You're right. It's just that we don't got balls like you.

Good troll response - Bravo!

>What is wrong with making a setup beforehand???

It's like a jumper buying a rig before they start AFF. Chances are they will be wasting their money - because they will want something different once they know more about the sport.

>i agree they are always to quick to criticize but don't have the balls to
>admit they haven't done anything wrong or unsafe" in their career

Or are quick to criticize BECAUSE they have done things wrong or unsafe during their career - and wish to spare others the pain they experienced. For me it was using chestmount cameras on bigways before I was ready. Caused a few collisions, even though I would have sworn up and down that "I would just turn it on and forget it."

What is wrong with making a setup beforehand???

The adhesive mounts provided with those types of cameras have proven to be unreliable for skydiving. The obvious answer is to hard mount the camera to the helmet, which means drilling holes in the helmet.

With only 33 jumps there is a fair chance the DZO, S&TA, or head camera flyer may find he is either not ready to jump a camera, or that the location or type of mount used does not meet with their approval. In either case, the OP has wasted time and drilled useless holes in his helmet.

Sooooooo, step one - clear the idea with the powers that be at his DZ, step two - mount the camera in accordance with what 'the man' told him was acceptable. No time wasted, no unneccesary holes drilled in his helmet.

In either case, the OP has wasted time and drilled useless holes in his helmet.

The op never said he drilled holes in his helmet.....

Hey I have the gopro and I'm curious what people have to say about attachment points on a skydivers helmet? What would be considered the safest and least likely to get in the way. I'm probably looking at mounting the cam on the top of my benny helmet towards the front.

...and I never suggested that he did.

I'll double space this so maybe you'll

understand. If he wanted to correctly mount a

GoPro to his helmet, the adhesive mounts would

not do the trick, he would need to hard mount it

to his helmet (which means drilling holes). In

order to avoid drilling holes in his helmet only to

be denied permission to jump it, I suggested that

he ask permission first, and proceed forward

according to the answer.

You really should put more thought into your posts before you type. But then you might lose your troll status...

Here's the logic for you: He's being told that the adhesive and velcro are inadequate. Therefore, to mount the camera securely is going to require some holes in the helmet. And before one puts holes in a nice helmet, you should get some advice from experienced camera flyers so that you can do it right the first time.

I'm sure the OP himself understands this. Only a troll would continue to try to create controversy where there is none.

You are rapidly approaching the status of one of the few people in these forums whose posts I just whiz right over without even looking at them, because they are always devoid of meaningful content.

If you want people to actually take you seriously, you need to stop trolling like this. It's your choice: you can be relevant, or you can be a joke.

...and I never suggested that he did.

I'll double space this so maybe you'll

understand. If he wanted to correctly mount a

GoPro to his helmet, the adhesive mounts would

not do the trick, he would need to hard mount it

to his helmet (which means drilling holes). In

order to avoid drilling holes in his helmet only to

be denied permission to jump it, I suggested that

he ask permission first, and proceed forward

according to the answer.

ok whatever, if he did drill holes why would they be deemed unnecessary he is just getting himself set up for the future.... they way you put it made it sound like he mistakenly drilled the holes in the wrong place....

You really should put more thought into your posts before you type. But then you might lose your troll status...

Here's the logic for you: He's being told that the adhesive and velcro are inadequate. Therefore, to mount the camera securely is going to require some holes in the helmet. And before one puts holes in a nice helmet, you should get some advice from experienced camera flyers so that you can do it right the first time.

I'm sure the OP himself understands this. Only a troll would continue to try to create controversy where there is none.

You are rapidly approaching the status of one of the few people in these forums whose posts I just whiz right over without even looking at them, because they are always devoid of meaningful content.

If you want people to actually take you seriously, you need to stop trolling like this. It's your choice: you can be relevant, or you can be a joke.

I'm not a joke... all i do is ask questions and answer them....

from the looks of it, you have already achieved this status. i'm trying to be helpful here and getting shot down
isn't going to stop me from helping someone out

Backing Skybytch,

Like I tell aspiring riggers and tandem instructors: "95% of what I am going to tell you is good habits. The other 5% will be scary stories about stupid things I did when I was young. My scare stories should help you learn from my mistakes, without the scar tissue, so you can remain young and beautiful."

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
CSPA Rigger Examiner
600 Handy-Cam jumps
a few dozen jumps with a camera strapped to my head

I'm not a joke... all i do is ask questions and answer them....

You may not think you are a joke but your posts lead people think you are. As for answering questions, the problem there is most of your answers are wrong. There is some good information available on the site for those that want to learn. Your “I’m right and everyone else is wrong” attitude is getting in the way of you learning anything.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I'm not a joke...

You're NOT????

Then WTH have I been laughing at all this time?
:S

To the OP:
Gear bag....gear bag....gear bag.
(see skybytch)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239