FrogNog

A sign you need to grow some thicker skin

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/paynter/158269_paynter28.asp

In short, a blue T-shirt that reads "Everyone loves a Jewish girl" with $ signs and purses (and some hearts, and some stars or something) on it, and a 27YO woman who saw it in Urban Outfitters and, according to the story, "The stereotype stung to the point that Schwartz turned and left the store, tears welling."

Yeah, everybody loves humorous, only mildly offensive stereotypes until it's about them.

Oh, wait, I can't say that; I'm white and male and therefore don't have any perspective.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go down to UO and BUY that shirt. I need a hipster shirt, and "girl scouts" is passé. This is where it's at, clearly.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

In short, a blue T-shirt that reads "Everyone loves a Jewish girl" with $ signs and purses (and some hearts, and some stars or something) on it, and a 27YO woman who saw it in Urban Outfitters and, according to the story, "The stereotype stung to the point that Schwartz turned and left the store, tears welling."

Good God! Has everybody gone mad! These shirts mean nothing. Those screens are a joke! Is it more racist if say... I (obviously NOT Jewish) wore that shirt? LOL! I don't understand why people are so hyper sensitive. That is not a derogatory shirt...is it? I am sooo confused. What about Latin Girls? I'm offended that they don't have shirt for me! >:( :ph34r:

I did find other shirts on Urban Outfitters website that were indeed funny...

Couldn't some of these be classified as even MORE offensive?

1. Mary is my homegirl! LMAO!!! I also saw a "Jesus is my homeboy" shirt.
2. Everyone loves Italian girls...pizza slices!?! I think that this tee is making fun of that stereotype.
3. Is it disrespectful or ironic to put a pic of the "Virgin Mary" on panties? "Hail Mary" is printed on the back...hee!
4. "Please don't eat me..." is referring to us eating animal meat. This shirt is obviously for vegans. This is the one shirt that I would never wear...lest someone get the wrong idea. :)

4. "Please don't eat me..." is referring to us eating animal meat. This shirt is obviously for vegans. This is the one shirt that I would never wear...lest someone get the wrong idea. :)

if you don't wanna give guys the wrong idea with that shirt, then maybe you should wear this one. :P

MB 3528, RB 1182

I find it offensive that the sales clerks were singled out but there's no mention of any inquiries to anyone further up the management chain. If it's so offensive that it has to be written about then why not take it further? Than again, maybe this is only the beginning of this story. Maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, I prefer to allow people to feel free to say anything they want (within the boundaries of applicable laws) so that I get a clearer picture of where they're coming from. You learn a lot more about people when they don't feel they have to walk on eggshells around you. Maybe I'm detached from the issue, but then again it seems that no matter what you say, you're going to offend at least one person or group of people. I guess the real question I have is, "Who draws the line indicating what's acceptable and what isn't?" I'm rambling though. Work has been postponed until 11:30 am and I've had a couple of more beers that I originally planned to drink :P

If it's worn by a Jewish girl, isn't it sort of self irony, or taking the piss on stereotypes? And according to the sentiment, you're not allowed to do that?

Even if it's not, big deal. I caught some flak from havin the Bad Religion Crossbuster in my sig followed by "Trespassers will be shot - survivors will be shot again" (on another forum). Still, it was an attempt at humour.

If these people get their way humour will cease to be and we'll have a bland generic PC style concoction that'll serve only to depress us.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I don't know man. I'm a pretty anti-PC dude but I can see where some would be upset about that one.

I mean, Jews being thrifty, cheap, rich... well that's an actual derogatory steryotype. Say "Irish" you may think "Shamrock" and that's one thing. Say "Italian", and you may think "Pizza" and that's another. But if you think "money" when someone says "Jewish", and you're venturing into the danger-waters.

I could have called this from a mile away! I personally don't give two sh*ts about it but I tell you what, If that was my store, there's NO WAY I would have that shirt for sale.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!