gary350

Another Routine Helicopter "Landing"

Have you guys ever seen the video from Somlia. I saw just a part of it years ago. I can't remeber if it was a Black Hawk or Huey, but the Pilot had one skid on a building and was half way out of the bird firing a weapon. I belive it was someone from the 160th SOAR just doing his job.
Dom

I can't remeber if it was a Black Hawk or Huey, but the Pilot had one skid on a building and was half way out of the bird firing a weapon.

Probably an MD-500 "Little Bird." Those guys love to infill you that way. It makes for a quick getaway by just sort of sliding off the side of the building. I love those things and still have a friend that flies over there. He just made CW-4 so he's going to stay awhile longer.

www.specwarnet.com/vehicles/littlebirds.htm

First time we went for a ride on a CH-47 (Chinook)
We thought it was a blast: great rate of climb:)lots of room:) and the hydraulic's leaked big time:(.

But for $1 from 12,500 who cares! :)
Then the the Huey pilot sitting next to us says "ah yes the infamouse Shithook the only aircraft known to man that can have a mid air collision with itself":o

Say what! No problemo I tell myself I got my rig on, don't run for the ramp, take baby steps or you'll slip on the hydraulic fluid.

Nice tailgate, nice bird, (except the midair rumor):)
R.I.P.

One day we were practicing SAR missions. This was after Captain O'Grady was rescued and the Marines decided we needed more training.

We were flying around Camp Pendelton with a cargo of 30 fully loaded grunts looking for a 'pilot' that had been shot down. Simulated of course. After flying around for 30 minutes the pilots spot him and the guy happened to be on a very small hilltop.

The object was to land, let the grunts and take off again while the grunts secure the area. When we landed, nose landing gear remaining in the air, I walked to the rear to lower the ramp via the manual hydraulic ramp switch. I hit the lever and the ramp wouldn't move. I had to think for a second and then it came to me. I asked,"Sir do you have both main landing gears on the ground?" He said,"What? Oh."

There is a safety switch in the main landing gears that won't allow the ramp to lower if only one landing gear is on the ground. Neither or both have to be on the ground for it to work.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Clay, just got through flying with the helicopter pilot who put Shugart and Gordan out in Somalia. You'll never guess what agency he is with now. ;) Does Hotel Romeo Tango ring a bell?

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Its all goodB|...another give away is the fact that it is green... most, if not all, of the Army MH's are black... that is why ABC if the trailing news agency, they put sh*t like that up w/o checking the facts.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

What's the big deal about that? Good crew coordination...other than that, it's damn near the same as hovering. Granted, I don't fly twin rotor helo's(at least I haven't yet)...but it's not the first time I've seen something like that. I had an old Vietnam Huey pilot that taught me to fly helo's...he used to make me land with one skid on a concrete pad we had, the other off the side(with about a 2' drop to the ground) in the air....and keep it there while he fucked with me.. He was a crazy bastard, but I learned a hell of a lot from him. I learned early on not to ask him what NOE flying was like in the jungle....there were lots of trees nearby to demonstate.. :S

Mike

that looks PRO.

you should see NAVY pilots swing one of those fuckers around during a transfer at sea.... very cool.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky