cocheese

What goes through your mind at Pull Time ?

stay stable...please come out (I had a reserve ride due to a hard pull a month ago)....good, it's out...and....vertical, good...open open open (like a mervin's commercial)....lines, good - slider down...come on, end cells, open *pump rear risers*...everything looks good....where's everyone else...clear airspace, ok, ...rear riser turn towards dropzone....altitude check...collapse slider....unstow brakes...where is everyone else....play play play...

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

After waving/checking airspace, there's a moment when there is nothing else but me and the point on the ground where I know I'll impact if I don't do anything (no aad in my rig). Overlapping it is another moment in which I remind myself to grip the hackey firmly and toss it hard, even as I'm doing it. Then, from the toss to first snatch I'm usually wondering if it's actually going to work again. After that I'm steering the canopy through opening, watching it open and watching for others. Fully open, I check airspace again, riser turn in the general direction of the dz, stow the slider, loosen chest strap, grab the toggles and then the fun begins again.:)

"Gee, I hope I didn't forget anything on the last pack job."

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I turn my hands into puppets and have them start yelling at each other..

'Pull!'
'No, YOU Pull!'
'No, I'm not going to pull until YOU pull'
'Pull!!!'

Eventually one of them chickens out and pulls something.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! :D:D:D:D

Editted to say: Thanks, mcrocker...I laughed so dang hard I started a coughing fit...:S
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

come on ... come on ....ok please open ....well you can quit snivvling already... ok quit messing around with me.... your not funny dang it ....OPEN .... its opens and im like see i wasnt scared ... im cool:P:)

He he hee...that was me when I borrowed someone's Hornet and I had someone else pack it for me and they rolled the nose reeeeeal tight...:P:S....I know I heard "Beep beep beep. Beep beep beep." at break off, then "be-beep...be-beep..be-beep" just before I threw it....Then "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!" in my left ear just as it was fully inflated...[:/] (Nobody get too awful worried, my audibles are set reeeeal high. My 'HOLY SHNIKEYS!! QUIT F'IN AROUND AND PULL IT, GIRL!' alarm goes off at 2k. :)
What I think usually (I swear, verbatim):

"Shit this better work...this better work...open dammit."
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Altitude, one final look around, throw pilot chute, keep shoulders and hips level, ready to get on rear risers and looking around for other canopies… check canopy, check airspace and opening point, release brakes, check airspace again, control check, check airspace… fly… (with eyes wide open)! ;)

Wow! And I thought it was just, 'Wow. I love my Spectre.' :D

Wow! And I thought it was just, 'Wow. I love my Spectre.' :D

Well that too… :)
That was… altitude, one final look round, throw pilot chute, then please don’t hurt me, please don’t hurt me… oh you b*stard… :S>:(

I love my Spectre! B|

Vicki

I cant wait to actually have to think about it again - darn Midwest winter. From memory:

throw out the pilot chute, a short wait to feel something come off my back . . . watch the mess turn into some semblence of a parachute, slider down, no line twists - good . . .reach for rear risers and look for traffic

Thank you Jesus ! ! ! (which I try to remember to say after every successful opening) :)

I fly a Diablo so when I throw out I'm just preparing to fight with it as it opens. The first time I jumped it to see if I wanted to buy it, I thought I had a mal because upon opening it dove and turned really hard. I learned quickly that I have to be on the risers before it inflates because it does that every time. At first I thought its radical openings were annoying, but now I look forward to it.

Another thing I'm aware of when I pull, since I have no cypres, is, "One simple action now or I'm dead. I guess I'll pull."

I think about my body position. I think about where my handles are. I try and be as aware of my opening as possible. I love watching her open, she's so pretty! Then, watch my heading and airspace.

I love that moment, when you trust your equipment but know in your gut that this is a pregnant moment between extremes. I find it very freeing, relaxing, simple.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Okay....don't turn....maintain your heading.....bend forward....throw it BACK; we don't want a horseshoe....wait for line stretch....now bring your knees up; we don't want a crotch grabber....grab the risers, and control the heading; we don't want to end up under the next group out....CLEAN OPENING....colapse the slider.....grab the toggles....Thanks for the ride, God....now, let's get ready to land this thing....
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

A quick barrel roll to see if anyone is directly above me and then wave off and throw. I had someone go screaming past me with a snivel once when I had just opened and it scared the hell out of me. It seems like forever once I toss but I usually only loose a few hundred feet from last alti check to wave off, to pull, to open canopy.

Big Ed

What goes through your mind at Pull Time ?

"Oh shit, this is gonna hurt..."

then if it does, I curse at it but thank it for openning, and if it doesn't hurt, I still thank it for openning.

no, I don't jump a saber, yes, I have an over-sized slider, yes, I know how to pack, and thanks in advance for the advice but I bet I've gotten it at least twice already.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I turn my hands into puppets and have them start yelling at each other..

'Pull!'
'No, YOU Pull!'
'No, I'm not going to pull until YOU pull'
'Pull!!!'

Do they ever yell "We're gonna be meat waffles!!"

:D:D:D
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*