nbblood

Patriotism

>They both act as trolls, looking for something controversial to use to
>stir shit. This is the type of person I won't jump with.

Recently you posted:

> . . . All I've done so far is watch you make an ass of yourself. 7
>jumps and downsizing every 2nd one....Bwaaahahaha..Tell it to a
> whuffo...I call "Bullshit".

Pot, meet kettle.

Basically, yes. If oral sex is illegal (which it is in some states) and you feel that it shouldn't be, do it anyway. If helping slaves escape is illegal (and it was, according to the original constitution) and you are against slavery, do it anyway. Choose the laws you want to break carefully, though. Make sure they are evil enough that it is worth spending the time in jail if you are caught.

Well, your perspective is refreshing as usual, but where do we draw the line? There are as many perceptions of right and wrong as there are people, so if we all adopted the attitude you advocate, our society would break down quickly.

Obviously we are not talking here about people violating laws against murder, and other violent crimes. We're talking about laws which dictate social mores.

If you disagree with them and violate them, you have to be willing to pay the price if caught.

But when large enough masses of people are willing to put themselves in jeopardy over such laws, it often provides the impetus needed to change the laws.

So rather than causing a breakdown of society, it can improve society. Look at how far equality of the races has come in the last 40 years, due to guys like Martin Luther King and his illegal marches. By defying the law, he brought the issue in front of everyday Americans, and made us want to do something about segregation and integration.

Even as I kid, I knew that watching those scenes of black people peaceably marching down the street, being attacked by police with batons, fire hoses and dogs, was wrong.

Basically, yes. If oral sex is illegal (which it is in some states) and you feel that it shouldn't be, do it anyway.

Too bad it wasn't a federal law a while ago.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Typically, data on hate crimes collected by social scientists and such groups as the Anti-Defamation League, the National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium, and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force show a higher prevalence of hate crime than do federal statistics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Color me suprised.

From the same soiurce you obviously didnt read.

Another obstacle to gaining an accurate count of hate crimes is the reluctance of many victims to report such attacks. In fact, they are much less likely than other victims to report crimes to the police, despite-or perhaps because of-the fact that they can frequently identify the perpetrators. This reluctance often derives from the trauma the victim experiences, as well as a fear of retaliation.

Why does it still happen,l because people with the same mindset as several people here foster an attitude that it is ok in this society, especially in this climate of the so called Patriot Act and ultra conservatism.

Typically, data on hate crimes collected by social scientists and such groups as the Anti-Defamation League, the National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium, and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force show a higher prevalence of hate crime than do federal statistics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Color me suprised.

From the same soiurce you obviously didnt read.

Another obstacle to gaining an accurate count of hate crimes is the reluctance of many victims to report such attacks. In fact, they are much less likely than other victims to report crimes to the police, despite-or perhaps because of-the fact that they can frequently identify the perpetrators. This reluctance often derives from the trauma the victim experiences, as well as a fear of retaliation.

Why does it still happen,l because people with the same mindset as several people here foster an attitude that it is ok in this society, especially in this climate of the so called Patriot Act and ultra conservatism.

Then how do you know it's true? Just a feeling?

As soon as anyone criticizes anything about Bush...no matter if it's his lying to congress or mispronunciation, suddenly it turns into....."Well...insert democrat here...did such and such." Yeah, maybe some dem presidents in the past have been as well, but they're not in power NOW. They're not screwing us over NOW.

That's not the problem that was being highlighted, in my opinion. The problem is that those who bring these things up, are silent when the same things are done by one of their own party who is in power. It's a matter of a double-standard, and hypocrisy.

You claim silence, but it's only silence because it is no longer relevant.

Here, I'll start...Clinton lied, Carter can't pronounce nuclear.

Bush lied and can't pronounce nuclear.

All fair now? Fortunately, we don't have to worry about Clinton lying about anything else. We DO have to worry about Bush, though.

Gay marriage has been on state ballots before with mixed results. In California, the people voted NOT to allow gay marriage in 2000.

So that wacked SF mayor allowing those fake marriages to take place under his watch is not only saying "screw the law", he is also saying "screw the people".

Jim Crow laws were on the books for years as well. If people didn't stand up for their rights and violate those laws and bring attention to the prejudice built into them, they probably still would be.

I'm sure there were many southern states that had ballot measures to continue separation of the races. Sometimes "the people" are wrong, especially when it comes to discrimination against a minority.

God's word (as found in the bible) is a poor basis for any laws. The bible doesn't actually say gay marriage is wrong, it says to kill all the gays. So if you want to follow biblical commands, get out your gun. It also says to kill anyone who works on the Sabbath (saturday or sunday, depending on your religion.) It advises soldiers to kill the old women and children when invading, and to keep the virgins for themselves.

I would wonder what sort of a country we would have if ALL of the Laws in Leviticus were adhered to.

Keep my decrees and follow them.
I am the LORD, who makes you holy.
If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.
He has cursed his father or his mother, and his blood will be on his own head.
If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.
If a man sleeps with his father's wife, he has dishonored his father. Both the man and the woman must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
If a man sleeps with his daughter-in-law, both of them must be put to death. What they have done is a perversion; their blood will be on their own heads.

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
If a man marries both a woman and her mother, it is wicked. Both he and they must be burned in the fire, so that no wickedness will be among you.

If a man has sexual relations with an animal, he must be put to death, and you must kill the animal.

If a woman approaches an animal to have sexual relations with it, kill both the woman and the animal. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
If a man marries his sister, the daughter of either his father or his mother, and they have sexual relations, it is a disgrace. They must be cut off before the eyes of their people. He has dishonored his sister and will be held responsible. I

f a man lies with a woman during her monthly period and has sexual relations with her, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them must be cut off from their people.

Do not have sexual relations with the sister of either your mother or your father, for that would dishonor a close relative; both of you would be held responsible.
If a man sleeps with his aunt, he has dishonored his uncle. They will be held responsible; they will die childless.
If a man marries his brother's wife, it is an act of impurity; he has dishonored his brother. They will be childless.

Keep all my decrees and laws and follow them, so that the land where I am bringing you to live may not vomit you out.

God's word (as found in the bible) is a poor basis for any laws. The bible doesn't actually say gay marriage is wrong, it says to kill all the gays. So if you want to follow biblical commands, get out your gun. It also says to kill anyone who works on the Sabbath (saturday or sunday, depending on your religion.) It advises soldiers to kill the old women and children when invading, and to keep the virgins for themselves.

I would wonder what sort of a country we would have if ALL of the Laws in Leviticus were adhered to.

Keep my decrees and follow them. I am the LORD, who makes you holy. If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother, and his blood will be on his own head. If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. If a man sleeps with his father's wife, he has dishonored his father. Both the man and the woman must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. If a man sleeps with his daughter-in-law, both of them must be put to death. What they have done is a perversion; their blood will be on their own heads. If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. If a man marries both a woman and her mother, it is wicked. Both he and they must be burned in the fire, so that no wickedness will be among you. If a man has sexual relations with an animal, he must be put to death, and you must kill the animal. If a woman approaches an animal to have sexual relations with it, kill both the woman and the animal. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. If a man marries his sister, the daughter of either his father or his mother, and they have sexual relations, it is a disgrace. They must be cut off before the eyes of their people. He has dishonored his sister and will be held responsible. If a man lies with a woman during her monthly period and has sexual relations with her, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them must be cut off from their people. Do not have sexual relations with the sister of either your mother or your father, for that would dishonor a close relative; both of you would be held responsible. If a man sleeps with his aunt, he has dishonored his uncle. They will be held responsible; they will die childless. If a man marries his brother's wife, it is an act of impurity; he has dishonored his brother. They will be childless. Keep all my decrees and laws and follow them, so that the land where I am bringing you to live may not vomit you out.

I prefer the version found in The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Good grief! I was gone for a while and need to catch up. Gotta go again but I’ll catch up with more replies in a bit.

> In response to Benny:
> Just for clarification, who wrote Genesis 2 18-25?

It’s generally accepted that Moses wrote Genesis. However, Moses could have had access to records kept by the long family line that the book records. So, it could have been compiled from a collection of records passed down over the years each describing what took place during their lifetimes.

OT falls under the Dispensation of Law.............most Theologians agree that we live in the Dispensation of Grace whereby the OT law was abolished. The work of Christ put us in a "newer" age whereby, spiritually, we are "governed" differently.

As in Matthew 5 and 6. Altogether more tolerant.

It always surprises me that the so-called "Christian" Right manages to ignore this and reverts to the OT when it suits their purpose.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

OT falls under the Dispensation of Law.............most Theologians agree that we live in the Dispensation of Grace whereby the OT law was abolished. The work of Christ put us in a "newer" age whereby, spiritually, we are "governed" differently.

As in Matthew 5 and 6. Altogether more tolerant.

It always surprises me that the so-called "Christian" Right manages to ignore this and reverts to the OT when it suits their purpose.

I agree with you 100%.

Moses could have had access to records kept by the long family line that the book records. So, it could have been compiled from a collection of records passed down over the years each describing what took place during their lifetimes.

Ever play telephone as a kid?

Do you believe everything you hear?

Wanna buy a bridge?

Blog Clicky

By that standard, I'd have to vote Canada. After all if we're going to exclude Oxford or Heidelberg, then we're also going to exclude the Ivy League. Once you do that, I'd take pretty much any provincial school over a US state one, and most of the private ones, too.

Hmm, Cal tech? Michigan? Berkeley? UNC? Duke? Stanford? Washington? Northwestern? Chicago?

Personally, those are all non-Ivy, some state funded schools that I would think beat just about any of Canada's schools hands down.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I know there is many things I might not agree with.

I am a permanent legal resident of the USA, and will be a citizen soon.

I have lived in Iran for half of my life and the rest has been in America.
I love this country.

I came back to the USA with $2000.00 when I was 20 and no help from any one.
With in 6 years I went to school have a semi new car and a LIFE that I enjoy.
This is the only country that I can do that. It is the only country that I can be an Iranian and have my political views and not go to jail or have every one hate me.
I would die to protect this country if someone ever invaded it.
Not because I cry when I hear the national anthem(I just get water in my eyes ok) but because of what we stand for.
All the threads that I see putting the USA down. The right to do that is what I love.
There is places in this world Iran being one of them. That no matter how hard you work how smart you are you can never get ahead in life. I am living proof that you can make it in this country no matter what.
I am Muslim, Iranian, and I never hide either of those facts. After Sep. 11i was fired from my job but that didn’t stop me from getting another job (or some one hiring me). What makes this country so great is the PEOPLE. There is bad ones out there but there is a lot more good ones. Yes I have gotten weird looks , and have been discriminated agents, but if I would be in any other country it would have been a lot more then here.
In other country’s you could go to jail or be killed for your views
You could have your family killed
Not here. I have never been good at putting my idea on paper but I hope you can understand what I am trying to say YES we have are problems but this is the best place to live on the planet.

The Iranian people are great and loving people also, But the government is as bad as it can get. You have no rights in Iran.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

>They both act as trolls, looking for something controversial to use to
>stir shit. This is the type of person I won't jump with.

Recently you posted:

> . . . All I've done so far is watch you make an ass of yourself. 7
>jumps and downsizing every 2nd one....Bwaaahahaha..Tell it to a
> whuffo...I call "Bullshit".

Pot, meet kettle.

Then, he called my DZ, where they confirmed that there was no bullshit. And bill, I take offense at the words in bold.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Darius, thank you.

I have never been good at putting my idea on paper but I hope you can understand what I am trying to say

Well, I beg to disagree. That was a wonderful post, and you got your thoughts out perfectly. I for one appreciate it!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Ask Darius11 how much fun it is to live in a country where the religious get to make the rules. I don't share your belief and don't want to. If you try to force me or those like me we will react badly. If you make laws and tell me it's your God who handed them down don't be surprised when we all start laughing. It doesn't take a very serious student of history to see the flaws of any "Faith based"....well anything!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos