quade

Again, I gotta ask, A CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT? REALLY?

----You will notice how no actual question is answered... the whole press conference involves McClellan talking in stuttered circles.

And how many times while writing this do you think the person typing had to hit the back space?

Talking does not give you the luxury of backspace. All this proves is that he is a careful speaker. Since when is that an issue? Is it infact that you have little to stand on and are now reverting to attacking a speaker as opposed to the issues?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

A society is not judged by how it treats the majority of its members, but rather by how it treats the minority.

In some instances, the majority opinion is simply wrong.

That has to be one of the most self-serving, pathetic excuses for ones own beliefs that I have ever seen. No matter the topic. I can't even believe that you even support such absolute BULLSHIT.

Ever read a history book? You should.

Talking does not give you the luxury of backspace. All this proves is that he is a careful speaker. Since when is that an issue? Is it infact that you have little to stand on and are now reverting to attacking a speaker as opposed to the issues?

I have plenty to stand on. Read my previous posts and you may understand. I was merely countering a view that people defending minority rights couldn't answer questions. I am not the one that was attacking. If you will read the entire press conference (its very long) then you will see my point. The man repeats what he said in those several sentences about 30 more times and cannot answer a very direct question. I am just trying to prove that when asked directly, people who are defending the "sanctity" or marriage cannot explain exactly what will happen to the "sanctity" of their marriage if gays are allowed to marry.

You think that I am attacking a speaker? I am merely supporting my side of the argument.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Need more judges to defy the higher-ups - and more civil disobedience to make things change.

This is anything but civil disobedience. No one in getting arrested. The civil authority involved is facilitating the process. That's just ridiculous.

And everybody wants a judge who will force the other side to their will.

Until they end up on the other side.

Gimme a break, man. It's painfully obvious that he is dodging the question because he does not have a good answer.

That is CENTRAL to the political issue at stake.

If the Administration is sponsoring a constitutional amendment, but can't give a coherent answer to the simplest, most logical question about WHY, don't you think that's just a wee bit important?

What sort of response from him WOULD strike you as intentionally evasive, if this one doesn't?

BTW, I've got some oceanfront AZ property to sell you.

Joe

>>In some instances, the majority opinion is simply wrong.

>That has to be one of the most self-serving, pathetic excuses for
> ones own beliefs that I have ever seen. No matter the topic. I can't
> even believe that you even support such absolute BULLSHIT.

The majority supported slavery. The majority was wrong.
The majority thought people would never fly. The majority was wrong.
The majority thought women shouldn't vote. The majority was wrong.
The majority thought blacks should be separated from whites in public (i.e. segregation.) Wrong again.
The majority thought blacks shouldn't be allowed to marry whites. Again, wrong.

Everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes lots of people make mistakes. Fortunately, we have a system of government that recognizes that people _can_ make mistakes. We have checks and balances that (usually) prevent any one man from grabbing too much power. We have a judicial system that will overturn bad laws, even if they are supported by the majority of people.

>Since you surrort alternative lifestyles and you think that you have
> a "Right" to marriage (even though it is a privledge) What if I want
> to marry 2 other men.

Since you think marriage should be between men and women only, why can't I marry two women? Why are you supporting heterosexual bigamy?

>Would a state issue a drivers license to a blind Man?
>No, not intentionally.

So you're saying we shouldn't issue marriage licenses to impotent men?

You will notice how no actual question is answered... the whole press conference involves McClellan talking in stuttered circles.

This is a common technique taught to and practiced by all PR people. If they ask you a slanted question, or a leading question that leads where you don't want to go, just ignore the question and say what you came out to say.

This is good advice for anyone dealing with a hostile press. Also, if you're answering and start to go somewhere you don't want to, stop, and ask them to reask the question. They're not likely to air half an answer.

(A) have answers prepared
(B) stick to those answers
(C) feel free to ignore dishonest/misleading questions
(D) stop instead of finishing a bad answer

The guy is speaking for the white house, you have to understand a little caution. I'm just not impressed that he couldn't work a little more flexibility into this session.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Caution is one thing. He dodged a plain, honest, and very important question.

In order to make important changes to government practices or documents, you should theoretically have a strong reason THAT YOU CAN ARTICULATE.

The strong reason in this case appears to be to get votes.

The silence is deafening...

Joe

I think that its a major problem that they are trying to make a constitutional ammendment to protect marriage and nobody has answered exactly what they are protecting marriage from.

Do most people have gay tendencies and just don't want to be tempted? If we ban gay marriage will this help potentially gay people show some self-restraint?

I know I sound assinine, but what are the reasons? Can anybody explain them to me without using catch-phrases such as "sanctity of marriage?"

Are we afraid gays will increase the divorce rate? Perhaps we should make a constitutional amendment to only allow people over 21 to get married, that would likely lower the divorce rate a good deal.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Excellent points Billvon. I still cant comprehend why Jose would say that quote is utter BS. The majority of American dont own guns, yet what protects the minority of gun owners. I dont want to start a gun debate. I saw a Hari Krishna, religious minority, prancing around yesterday. What protects him to practice his religion? I see green peace activits handing out leaflets on my way to work. What gives them the right to do that?

We have a judicial system that will overturn bad laws, even if they are supported by the majority of people.

Then why do you advocate the mayor of San Francisco breaking the law? Let the legal system work it out. What we have now is one person imposing his will on the nation. He's promoting your point of view so you support him. As someone else mentioned if this was about gun permits instead of marriage licenses you would oppose his methods.

never pull low......unless you are

I'm sorry, but in this country, majority does not rule.

We are NOT a democracy. We are a republic.

If we were a democracy, our constitution would be irrelevant, simply because it could be overturned or re-written simply by a 51% vote.

We are a republic because of our system of checks and balances that reflect the will of the majority WHILE protecting the rights of the minority. See Brown v. Board of Education for more information on how and why this works.

Are we afraid gays will increase the divorce rate?

The divorce rate will increase. Do you think every gay that marries will stay that way? The lawyers are probably salivating over all of the additional money that they'll make.

Well I heard a relevant joke yesterday [told by a lesbian]:

Q: What does a lesbian bring to the second date?
A: a U-Haul
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Actually we are a representative democracy with a constitution.

Checks and balances, if you're talking about three branches of gov, etc are to prevent a build up of power in any one place, not to prevent any particular action by those branches.
witty subliminal message
1*

the "divorce rate" is a percentage. More people marrying and will probably not affect that percentage much.

for example: now, you have 1000 marriages performed in one year in Nowhere County. 500 of them end in divorce. you have a divorce rate of 50%.

Now, you allow gay marriage. So now, you have 1500 marriages. 750 of them end in divorce. You still have a divorce rate of 50%.

Gay marriages may increase the number of divorces (of course some gay marriages won't work out. some straight marriages won't work out.) but they will probably have little to no effect on the "divorce rate."

>Then why do you advocate the mayor of San Francisco breaking the
>law? Let the legal system work it out.

Agreed there. I am glad there are now "test cases," but I'm sorry they happened in SF where it's illegal rather than in New Mexico where it isn't.

>He's promoting your point of view so you support him.

I think he's doing the right thing. If he ends up going to jail I'm not going to complain, because he's breaking the law. I am glad that friends of mine can now get married, but sorry that the mayor had to break the law to do it.

Rosa Parks got arrested years ago because, as a black woman, she dared to sit in the front of the bus. I would have supported her too, even though she was breaking the law.

The United States is a federal republic, not a democracy. This usage of the term republic was particularly common around the time of the American Founding Fathers. The authors of the United States Constitution intentionally chose what they called a republic for several reasons. For one, it is impractical to collect votes from every citizen on every political issue. In theory, representatives would be more well-informed and less emotional than the general populace. Furthermore, a republic can be contrived to protect against the "tyranny of the majority." The Federalist Papers outline the idea that pure democracy is actually quite dangerous, because it allows a majority to infringe upon the rights of a minority. By forming what they called a Republic, in which representatives are chosen in many different ways (the President, House, Senate, and state officials are all elected differently), it is more difficult for a majority to control enough of the government to infringe upon a minority

>I am say any 3 + way marriage is out. Any Gay marriage is out.

OK. In that case I say any marriage between two people is fine, any 3+ way marriage is out.

>Allowing gay marriage is opening a pandoras box

No more so than allowing interracial marriage was opening a pandora's box. Opponents at the time said things like "if you let a woman marry a black, what's to keep her from marrying a chimpanzee?" Yet here we are, 40 years later, and women don't marry chimpanzees. I think the fears that allowing gay marriage will lead to women marrying chimpanzees (or four guys, or a mailbox, or the state of Idaho) are as unfounded now as they were 40 years ago.