quade

Again, I gotta ask, A CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT? REALLY?

actually, no...

Lesbos, I believe, is part of Greece, and subject to Greek law, which is largely influenced by the Greek Orthodox Church.

...but you'll notice a large number of thespians seem to oppose the amendment...
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Do you think anyone can differentiate "civil marriage" from traditional marriage? "Civil marriage" sounds administrative enough....

Yes, I think we can. I think that we should not use marriage as a legal term anymore. I think that term should be strictly reserved for the religious. Civil union (or civil marriage) would be the legal aspect that affords the rights and benefits that are currently associated with married couples rights. For an example, this would mean that a heterosexual christian couple would get married at their church and get a civil union from the courts. However, people like my boyfriend and I would omit the church part and only go to the courts to get our piece of paper and then go skydiving to celebrate.:)

This I agree with word for word. Including the part about skydiving as a good way to celebrate.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

:D :D :D

No, I haven't taken up an interest in either lacrosse or golf, and I don't really go out without AndyMan that much (we're practically inseparable, and it's disgusting ;)).

I do, however, think that a country that allows gay marriage has a type of sensibility that is lacking in America. Canada doesn't seem to have its head up its ass as much as America does. I guess they're too busy having other things up their asses! :o :P :ph34r:

_Pm

Edit: Seriously, you want to move to Canada because you don't like this system. That's something certain actors threatened to do. You guys have the guts to do it. I admire that (in a way).

:D:D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Turner v. Safley
Over time, restrictions on marriage have become more and more suspect. IN 1987, the last time the Unites States Supreme Court considered the claim of a group of Americans about restriction on their right to marry, the Court articulated four attributes of marriage common to this group and all other Americans. These attributes are:

expression of emotional support and public commitment;

spiritual significance, and for some the exercise of a religious faith;

the expectation that for most, the marriage will be consummated; and

the receipt of tangible benefits, including government benefits and property rights.
Looking at these attributes of marriage, the Court decided that these Americans - incarcerated prisoners - shared with other Americans the freedom to marry. Because prisoners, too, can enter into a marriage with these characteristics, the Court invalidated Missouri's' virtually complete ban on marriages of prison inmates. Turner v. Safley, 482 U.S. 78, 94 (1987).

He's a religious zealot - what do you expect?

YES! and he is a FALSE Christian. The Christains know as well as those at my Church too, believe he is "So much, our only Hope!"
In fact his Skull & Bone vows of top Masonic Elite as to the Worshipful Master in Temple as called "Mosque" not Church. He is not even allowed (nor was I when invovled) allowed to say "In the name of Christ".
He is using the *sheep and they will follow so he can make sausage of them all.

Thanks. So then it's OK for a serial killer, rapist, murderer to get married. Yet a law abiding, tax paying citizen can't. Doesn't make sense in my book.

Why doesn't it make sense? The bible says that serial killer, rapist, murderers should be forgiven. Homosexuals should be put to death. Understand? :S

Thanks. So then it's OK for a serial killer, rapist, murderer to get married. Yet a law abiding, tax paying citizen can't. Doesn't make sense in my book.

What do you except from a country that lumped gays in the same category as rapists, murderer, and serial killers as recently as 30 years ago?

What do you except from a country that lumped gays in the same category as rapists, murderer, and serial killers as recently as 30 years ago?

DUDE.. there are several posters in Talkback that have done EXACTLY that over the course of the last 2 weeks.

Intolerance is alive and well out there.

Okay I am going to commit my pet peeve. I am going t0 post my view without looking to see if anyone has posted the same idea because I just can't keep up with the thread:S

Someone asked me how I felt about this because I am a so-called "Born-again Christian". I have had to think about this a lot because I had to wonder what my take should be.

Please bear with me I may get long winded but I feel what I have to say is important.

Here is the problem I am having. My faith tells me the Bible is true. My beliefs (and they are not up for debate because they are my personal beliefs and I will not change them for anyone other than God telling me to) say that the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God. Arguments to that are that it was written by man and that it has been over translated, blah, blah, blah. I say, God is powerful enough to keep His Word true no matter how much we humans try to screw it up.

That said, this means that when in the New Testament the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin, then it is a sin. WAIT! Keep reading. The Bible also lists about 1400 other activities, omissions, commissions, what have you, which are also sins. It says that if a man misses any one of those laws he is guilty of breaking ALL of the LAWS. He also says that there is not one human who has not broken at least one of the laws. Therefore, according to God we are all homosexuals, sodomites, liars, thieves, adulterers, murderers, etc. And the punishment he deals out is the same for everyone.

So what is my point? Well, as a Christian I believe that same sex marriages are wrong. I believe them to be against God. YOU do NOT have to believe the way I do. This is what I believe. Now since I believe that same sex marriages are wrong do I believe that they should be outlawed? NO! I do not. Nor do I believe we should pass some resolution to allow them.

Just because someone is gay does not mean I will dislike them or hate them or ostracize them In fact I have a friend who is becoming very dear to me, who posts here who happens to be a lesbian. Why can I do this and call myself Christian? Because when Jesus came to earth to live, he called the lowest of society his friends, not the so-called righteous. I am by no means righteous, and I am by no means right even half of the time. Ask my wife she will tell you I am right almost never. I am a sinner. I say things I know are wrong. I make posts that I know God would not approve of. I do things that are as much sin as homosexuality. I am not proud of that it is just a fact. I am a sinner saved by the Grace of my Father. I am a man who has been so loved by God that He took the steps to reconcile me to Him. I am a human who has been called to love all people, even those that five years ago I would have deemed unlovable. I am not given the power to judge people, nor am I given the power to sentence them, only to love them, no matter where they are in life.

For this reason, I am against this Constitutional Amendment because I do not believe it is coming from a position of Love. I have no idea where it is coming from. As I said, I think same sex marriage is wrong, but so is foul language, lying, adultery, excessive drunkenness, hypocrisy, stealing, murder, unkindness, and a whole slew of others I can list that I am personally guilty of. What right do I have to judge any one of you? And what right to I have to force you to follow my will? That is not how Jesus worked, and I do not think that is how I want My Country, who I have defended, to work either.

I think this is a waste of our time and energy when some many other more important issues need our attention. And I think GWB just lost my vote.

I apologize for the length of this and I hope you all read all of it before you judge any part of it.

So you think the President of the United States should stop everything and go out and personally join in the search?

Even if you disagree with his stance on gay marriage, you can see how silly it sounds for him to totally focus on one thing. I would fear a leader who could ONLY get one thing done at a time.

Just my 2 cents...
Rock

What business is it of the government?

Good point! He works for the people. It is our choice! Let us choose. I may work for the GOV. but I do not want BIG BROTHER to start telling me what I can and can not do.

And did you notice this stuff only comes out when it is an election year?
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Thank you for that. You've just demonstrated that religion can actually be about someone's personal relationship with what they perceive to be God. In these days of fundamentalism, crusade mentality, and jihad that usually gets lost in the mix.

My brother-in-law's parents are hard core devout catholics. And they are the most kind, understanding, non-judgmental, non-preachy people I've ever met, even when comparing them to atheists, agnostics, and the non-religious like myself.

They live their lives according to their beliefs. And feel that everyone else should do the same. Unfortunately, there aren't many people like that in the world.