quade

Again, I gotta ask, A CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT? REALLY?

I think that he is capable of working on more than one thing at a time. It's called multi-tasking.

Yes, he's successfully campaigning for conservative christian votes while at the same time attempting to negate even more fundamental rights of the people of this nation. He's gotten really good at multi-tasking those things.

He is also pretty good at taking away rights with the Patriot Act. Hmmm....Maybe he can include Gay Marriage as a terrorist attact as well, then he wouldn't need to get into the constitution.....he would just lock them up "for the good of national security."

Which instances? The ones that you disagree with?

At one point in time the majority of people on the planet thought the world was flat -- they were wrong.

At one point in time the majority of people thought that slavery was perfectly acceptable -- they were wrong.

At one point in time the majority of people thought blacks shouldn't have the same rights as whites -- they were wrong.

At one point in time the majority of people thought that women shouldn't be allowed to vote -- they were wrong.

There are many instances.

At one point the Catholic Church excommunicated people for saying the Earth was not the center of galaxy. They were wrong.

Thanks. Found a great article about gay marriage world wide.

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030714-073510-5671r

Apparently only the Netherlands, in the world, has same sex marriage.

America-bashing is great sport, particularly among some Americans, but we're not that backward after all. Both of my last employers, both government agencies, allowed for domestic partner registration for benefits. That's a much as all of Europe, except Holland.

Which instances? The ones that you disagree with?

At one point in time the majority of people on the planet thought the world was flat -- they were wrong.

At one point in time the majority of people thought that slavery was perfectly acceptable -- they were wrong.

At one point in time the majority of people thought blacks shouldn't have the same rights as whites -- they were wrong.

At one point in time the majority of people thought that women shouldn't be allowed to vote -- they were wrong.

There are many instances.

At one point the Catholic Church excommunicated people for saying the Earth was not the center of galaxy. They were wrong.

The Church finally forgave Galelio in the 1990s for saying that same thing.

At one point the Catholic Church excommunicated people for saying the Earth was not the center of galaxy.

That's not correct. They denied even the concept of a galaxy. Earth was the center of the Universe, which consisted of the Earth, and the Heavans (the rest of the stuff)

Throw in the crusades. Oh! And the inquisitions!

NOBODY, expects the Spanish Inquisition!

:P

I think we should have a constitutional amendment stating that all cars should have exactly four wheels.

Because three or five don't make sense, of course.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

That story is somewhat outdated, Belgium has since become the second country in the world to specifically allow same sex marriages. Germany, Switserland and Canada are currently looking into legislation allowing same sex marriages.

Furthermore, there is a difference between not specifically allowing it and altering your countries constitution against something.

Strangely, its one of the core reasons my wife wants us to move there.

Dude - has she taken up an interest in lacrosse or golf? has she been spending a lot of girls' nights out?

be careful

{I'm out on a limb here, I don't know AM's sense of humor}

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't think that is true

Trust me on this, Canada has same sex mariages.

Well, specifically Ontario and British Columbia have had it for six monthes. It's implied in the rest of the country, and that won't be technically accurate until the federal government passes a bill that expressly enables it. That bill is expected in the spring, before the next election. In Ontario and Quebec gay marriages are allowed by a court ruling which ruled unconsitutional the previous rules.

Back in August there was a flood of American gay couples heading to Toronto for weddings, a flood that only stopped when San Francisco started doing it south of the border.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Trust me on this, Canada has same sex mariages.

Well, specifically Ontario and Quebec have had it for six monthes. It's implied in the rest of the country, and that won't be technically accurate until the federal government passes a bill that expressly enables it. In Ontario and Quebec gay marriages are allowed by a court ruling which ruled unconsitutional the previous rules. British Columbia (I think) are doing it under their own will.

Back in August there was a flood of American gay couples heading to Toronto for weddings, a flood that only stopped when San Francisco started doing it south of the border.

Since 2000 Alberta has specifically excluded same sex marriages. Hence, same sex marriages are not legal in Canada though it does seem to be heading that way.

I think that he is capable of working on more than one thing at a time. It's called multi-tasking.

Yes, he's successfully campaigning for conservative christian votes while at the same time attempting to negate even more fundamental rights of the people of this nation. He's gotten really good at multi-tasking those things.

He is also pretty good at taking away rights with the Patriot Act. Hmmm....Maybe he can include Gay Marriage as a terrorist attact as well, then he wouldn't need to get into the constitution.....he would just lock them up "for the good of national security."

That was kind of the point I was making. Kind of like when Bush's secretary of education labels the National Education Assn. as a terrorist organization.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,112358,00.html

From http://www.iwgonline.org/marriage/
(which seems to be a christian site supporting gay marriage..)

"Without civil marriage, families are not legally recognized. In situations involving child custody, medical decisions, burial, and inheritance, preference is given to legally-recognized family members. There are thousands of local, state, and federal laws in which legal marital status determines government treatment of two consenting adults in a relationship. Without legal marriage recognition it is difficult or impossible to legally establish and maintain families(especially when facing opposition from relatives), contrary to the Constitutional right of free association."

I'd have to add to this that insurance may not get extended to a significant other, and I know that there are various tax breaks for marriage.. the government clearly encourages people to have stable relationships as that seems to promote a more stable country.

I wish I had time to look up more examples for you but I'm writing a paper right now. The website I linked to seemed to have a lot of great information and you could likely find what you are looking for on there. It's especially interesting since it was written from the perspective of Religious people advocating equal marriage rights.

As much as so many people argue that gay marriage is inherently wrong and unnatural, I think that everyone needs to put their religious views aside when laws and amendments are being made. We need to protect those who are being discriminated against.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

There are thousands of local, state, and federal laws in which legal marital status determines government treatment of two consenting adults in a relationship.

THANKS Karen

hmm - "Thousands of laws" to treat some people differently than others. It really never stops does it?

Do you think anyone can differentiate "civil marriage" from traditional marriage? "Civil marriage" sounds administrative enough....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

the question was "european countries" specifically.

edit: someone beat me to the Canada thing.

Also, Belgium gives gay marriages a "civil union" or similar status, same rights, different name.

France, Germany, and the Nordic countries have extensive civil union rights (similar to California, I believe).

Argentina has civil unions. The union grants the partners rights such as collection of a pension for the surviving partner in the advent of the other's death, and rights to healthcare benefits.

:D :D :D

No, I haven't taken up an interest in either lacrosse or golf, and I don't really go out without AndyMan that much (we're practically inseparable, and it's disgusting ;)).

I do, however, think that a country that allows gay marriage has a type of sensibility that is lacking in America. Canada doesn't seem to have its head up its ass as much as America does. I guess they're too busy having other things up their asses! :o :P :ph34r:

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Do you think anyone can differentiate "civil marriage" from traditional marriage? "Civil marriage" sounds administrative enough....

Yes, I think we can. I think that we should not use marriage as a legal term anymore. I think that term should be strictly reserved for the religious. Civil union (or civil marriage) would be the legal aspect that affords the rights and benefits that are currently associated with married couples rights. For an example, this would mean that a heterosexual christian couple would get married at their church and get a civil union from the courts. However, people like my boyfriend and I would omit the church part and only go to the courts to get our piece of paper and then go skydiving to celebrate.:)

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham