BlueSBDeath

I miss Hawaii

Wow! Gorgeous! Hell, I'll even go for a tandem for that view.

Hehe - at this point I would probably find a tandem scarier than I did on my first jump!

Seriously though - it's almost March! The flowers will be poking their heads up very soon!:)

Fall in dove.

Dang! It's that bad in NC? Wow. I'm going to be there for the first time in my life in a few days. Good thing it'll only be for a few hours in the Charlotte airport while catching a flight to Tampa. B| Haha! :P

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Another great day in NC. Is it Summer yet!!!!! I got to make 5 jumps last weekend, and now look at today!!! I NEED SUN!!!!

NOICE!!! I actually like the occasional snow day! It was sleeting rain down here!:)
You don't have anything better to do, why don't you go to the Mardi Gras boogie? Hell, it's only a 13 hour drive!:P

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Don't temp me....................I.....I.....I.........just might, no I can't drive that far............thats over a case of beer away (13 [email protected] beers per hour=some real big beer number) and I would get there all drunk and stuff!!! So, nice try, I will just wait here and wine about life in the snow!!!:ph34r:
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I used to live and jump in Hawaii 'till fiancee Shawn Gloyer went in with th King Air in May of '99. I miss it too. Just couldn't stay 'cause kept expecting him to walk through the door. Just left for a couple days, but didn't go back. Wish I had now.
Hawaii is great for birdman, just ask Patrique, well, if he were with us he'd say hooray! He used to get out over the DZ, track upwind all the way to Haleiwa, over several miles away, then turn around and come back again! The trades haul ass, usually between 10-20 on a light day, but often 'tween 20-40, but jumping rarely stops 'cause of the wind! It's a jump at your own risk thing. I often just sat out to watch the cool crashes. One Japanese girl was so cute- she was backing up... backing up... we were all yelling at her to turn or do something... but she just hit the top of a tree right next to the Aloha "Up jumper" club house. The tree stopped her and she proceded to fall through the tree taking off every branch on her way down. We all stood there in horror awaiting the final thump. But wouldn't ya know, by the time she got to the bottom she landed on a whole pile of soft branches she had taken out like a big feather pillow. She barely missed being impaled on a fense post and hitting a huge rock! Instead she just bounced up off the branches, dusted herself off, and giggled, as the Japanese girls are so famous for! We were all understandably shocked! Later that day everyone had to take video of themselves getting up off the stack of branches all frazzled with gear everywhere saying, "TA DA!"
We had so much fun with pig roasts and everything. That place was truly a paradise except for the wind! It will always be my home! I miss the plumeria the most and the tube roses that smelled so sweet & pretty. The most remarkable thing about Hawaii is the sweet perfumed aroma of flowers that permeates the air. Most all the trees and bushes are full of flowers. I used to go to the ladies at the lei stands by the airport to get fresh leis for myself, the car, for friends, and to give to the local homeless on the North Shore to be sure my car and person was kept safe. I also gave the local homeless cigarettes and beer. That way before they considered vandalizing your car as is the tendancy for locals to do to outsiders, especially Howlies (whites who stole their Island from them), they recognize you as a good guy, one of their friends. I was buddies with the Houi, something that is important and can be a life saver on the North Shore! Everything is so pretty visitors love to go to isolated beaches for a swim. That is very dangerous. In fact there are even well populated places that are not safe. Visitors should always ask locals and heed warnings about where it is and is not safe to go. Never leave your car unattended with anything in it even in the trunk. Locals all have metal clubs which they use to break windows and steal stuff and/or hit you over the head. They pry open trunks. One time some poor unsuspecting Swiss set up camp in the Beach park across the street from the DZ. They put away all their gear and went for a swim. By the time they got back to their camp there was not a shred of their stuff left! That beach park across from the DZ is local territory, and visitors are not safe!
Also, if you happen by the harbor be sure to take with you a huge 10 lb. bag of cat food and a couple tins and a couple gallons of water. There are > 30 cats who reside among the rocks along the jettie/breakwater. I used to make >30 piles of food and fill > 20 tins of water, well wedged among the rocks so neither they nor the winds knocked them over, every day for them. The locals catch the kitties, cut them up, and use them for fishing bait! Take one home with you!
The only draw back to the DZ is the strong trade winds & their effect when hitting and rolling off the damned iron wood trees along the road between the beach and the DZ. They make a real turbulent line that covers so much of the DZ. We always wanted to have them taken out by a local for 1000 bucks, but since they are on state property and the state and FAA nor the gliders at the other end like the skydivers, if something suddenly happened to the trees we would have of course looked quite culpable. Even the tandems have to hook it to penetrate the wind sheer from the trees. You do learn how to land going backwards there.
But it's all worth it for the view and getting to fly over the ocean where the humpback whales hang out by the wash rock about 50 feet off the shore just Haleiwa side of the DZ!
There is a shark down there about 10 feet under just in the breakers who has his own gear shop. He has parachutes, containers, sunglasses, perscription glasses, cameras, helmets, altimeters, audible altimeters, skydiving toys, tubes, shoes, hats, airplanes, jumpers, and even pilots for sale or rent. We always imagined him kickin' back in the reef with a reefer behind his skydiving stand.
Aloha my Friends!
Annie B|

What in the World are you doing in the Carolinas? Why did you leave Hawaii? Hard to live anywhere else isn't it?!
Say, do you know a guy name Pete Martin who used to be in the mlilitary at Schoffield barracks in Hawaii but is native to Greensboro, NC? He spent some time doing the Screaming Eagles ARMY skydiving team in Kentucky? Don't know if he is still in the military-can't locate him! Must still be skydiving somewhere in your area.

Yeah, I put Shawny's picture on that website www. robharris.org "eternal flame" page. I made Shawny a nifty web site, but had trouble FTPing it!
His brother Kurt died the next year when his Cessna on skis fell through a snow drift into a glacial crevasse while trying to rescue some lost climbers off a mountain in Alaska.
Both Shawny and Kurt were well respected as the best bush pilots Alaska ever knew, Shawn with his big planes, his C-46, and DC-3, and Kurt with his radical small planes!
Aloha my friend! :)

Amen to that Arvel, I can feel your pain but Missouri is warming up! I think we got up to 50 today!!! :P

And y'all had to post the pictures too didn't ya? People who have never lived or been there just can't understand can they?

That's okay Arvel, we aren't in pairadice anymore, but we still rock!!! ;)
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

We attended one of the boogies in paradice late 80's early ninety's.The winds and the rotor's make landing a caopy at dillingham a real challenge.

The locals had a map of the DZ don't land here, don't land there, that ones called Horners corner and he walks with a permanent linp stay away from there.

Noticed the locals were jumping canopies at least one size smaller than on the mainland due to the winds. We'd watch folks getting ready to land and 50-100' of the deck the end cells on their PD's would collapse and then snap back open as they started to flare.

The rotors comeing off the tree line were strange since they were parallel to the wind line. The injury rate at the boogie was about 30%. No problem just go do some tourist stuff untill most of us healed up and then go back to jumping.

One jump we took the spot long because the winds picked up after T.O. we were last out open low and landed a couple mile east, couldn't even see the polo field. Packed in some guy's back yard walked to the main road aand hitch a ride back to the DZ with some jumpers getting a late start.

They thought we were staying at one of the houses and just hitching a ride. They were joking about us getting a long spot and were surprised to find out that we landed that far out.

We camped at the DZ for like 19 says and would use the showers at the campground across the road never had any problems with the locals.

Watched one guy land offshore who was wearing his weight vest under his jumpsuit. The lady pilot was laying on the beach with her boogie board and went and got him as he was going down for the third time.

Nice boogie, scenery etc, but a challenging landing area.

R.I.P.

Ps I can't swim and every island I've been on is surrounded by water. I hate that shit.:S. But I always take my rubber ducky (military) with me. The little wrist band flotation devices were a joke but some folks had them.