MOONA

Riser Blocks for swooping

If you go to UPT on facebook under options there are photos of dive blocks on risers which might help you explain. I would be careful if your rigger does not know about dive blocks for front risers perhaps you could find a rigger who knows about them.

Good luck with your mods!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Hi Dave,

I'm currently looking at various options for for my risers I've not ruled out dive loops just trying different things. Another option i'm looking at is bigger dive loops of the springy out variety.

The loops on my current risers are small and uncomfortable to use so I tend to wrap my hand around the loop and the riser together with my thumb right at the top on the slinks. I'm finding that this give me more solid input than 3 crushed fingers in the dive loop.

My current risers are also way too short though. I'm 6'3 and the risers are 17 1/2" so it could be that longer risers with better loops could be the answer.

I'm no swooper yet just taking my first baby steps and trying to get my gear right for the job.

get my gear right for the job.

Blocks aren't right for the job and neither are 17" risers, even for a short guy. Being 6' 3", you're going to want longer risers anyway, most likely in the 25" to 26" range. This will allow you to strech out a little when you grab your dive loops, and give your canopy a little more dive.

Any of the container manufacturers offer a padded dive loop that might be the 'springy out' variety you're thinking of. The padding in the loop prevents them from laying flat, and some also feature a length of plastic inside the loop to help make it 'springy'.

You absolutely need a secure grip on whatever you use, and you actually do want only a couple fingers in the loop. The idea is to have a good grip, but not so good that your hand or toggle gets 'warpped' up in anything. I use my first two fingers in the loop, and my other two to hold the toggle in my hand. My thumbs are of little use while swooping.

As mentioned previously, a block is not a good solution as your grip can slip more easily than if you have a loop to hook on to. Even if you feel like your grip is sufficient, if a long spot requires you to fly home in deep brakes, this can effect your overall level of strength, and make the block a bad idea. if you should lose your grip at the wrong time, you end up pointing in an odd direction, close to the ground, with no plan of any kind.

No matter what type of loop you use, you'll end up with 'crushed' fingers. Your total time in the loops is going to be less than 5 seconds, so suck it up cupcake, and just deal with it. Crushed fingers are actaully better than the damage a block can do if it gets ripped out of your hands anyway.

Louie Loops on longer risers and whatever you do, don't put your hand in any loop with your toggle.

If your whole hand is in the loop and you're down low and dirty, the toggle can catch in the loop just when you need to stab outta the corner and then you're fucked.

Dave is right about only using two (index and middle) fingers and using the ring and small finger to lock the toggle into your palm. Ask DSE about it.

I've gone up to 10K and worked out turn the whole way down and my fingers were a little sore but nothing bad. Better some sore fingers than a broken body.[:/]

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

As mentioned previously, a block is not a good solution as your grip can slip more easily than if you have a loop to hook on to. Even if you feel like your grip is sufficient, if a long spot requires you to fly home in deep brakes, this can effect your overall level of strength, and make the block a bad idea. if you should lose your grip at the wrong time, you end up pointing in an odd direction, close to the ground, with no plan of any kind.

slips easier? your holding on with 4 fingers and a thumb. I think it boils down to prefrence. Theres nothing wrong with blocks. I quit using my dive loops when I got my fingers stuck in em coming out of a dive. It's happened more than once, and sure as shit I ain't the only one it's happened to. They really suck ass when you have thicker gloves on. I like being able to let go when I want. Now blocks may not be everyones cup of tea but they work good for some people:)

slips easier? your holding on with 4 fingers and a thumb. I think it boils down to prefrence

To me, this is the same as the argument between a D-ring and a soft reserve handle. Much like the D-ring, the dive loop gives you something to 'hang' onto, as opposed to just your hand strength holding the block.

If you got your hand stuck in a dive loop, it's because you're doing to wrong. It's two fingers in the loop, two fingers holding the toggle in your hand, and your thumb out of the way. The toggle goes over the palm portion of your hand, and the loop goes only over your two fingers so the two components stay seperate.

If you're the sort to put on bulky gloves and shove your entire hand into a dive loop, then maybe a block is better for you, but only because you're mis-using the loops.

Now,,, why would someone go thu facebook rather than right to the UPT site ? I'm sick of this idiotic trendy bs,,,:S can any of you people take a shit without going thru facebook ? :P

Yeah! >:(

In fact why use a trendy computer thingy at all?? :S

Just send Bill a SASE and some coins for the xerox machine! B|

;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Now,,, why would someone go thu facebook rather than right to the UPT site ? I'm sick of this idiotic trendy bs,,,:S can any of you people take a shit without going thru facebook ? :P

Great.

Now you're going to have all the kids wondering what a SASE is.

And a Xerox machine.

:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Great.

Now you're going to have all the kids wondering what a SASE is.

And a Xerox machine.

:P

Back in the good-old-days, we just sent a (caged) homing pigeon, if we wanted a reply!
Hah!
Hah!

Good point!
Young swoopers should develop good habits early on.
Two fingers in dive loops is plenty. It is equally important to slip all four fingers through steering toggles.
That way you can instantly release dive loops, while keeping your eyes "outside the cockpit," when you are doing a SICK, 900 mph carve, just as some mere mortal cuts you off, and you need canopy overhead NOW!
... and you still have your hands in the toggles to "dig" yourself out of the corner.
... not much glory in that short a swoop, but at least you will be alive to brag about how your MAD SKILLZ kept you alive, when mere mortals would have perished.

Anyone have a pic of riser blocks? I think I've never seen those.

You know those sticky fabric wraps that medical clinics sometimes use to hold gauze pads after you've had blood drawn? I've seen something like that wrapped repeatedly around the risers.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

slips easier? your holding on with 4 fingers and a thumb. I think it boils down to prefrence

To me, this is the same as the argument between a D-ring and a soft reserve handle. Much like the D-ring, the dive loop gives you something to 'hang' onto, as opposed to just your hand strength holding the block.

If you got your hand stuck in a dive loop, it's because you're doing to wrong. It's two fingers in the loop, two fingers holding the toggle in your hand, and your thumb out of the way. The toggle goes over the palm portion of your hand, and the loop goes only over your two fingers so the two components stay seperate.

If you're the sort to put on bulky gloves and shove your entire hand into a dive loop, then maybe a block is better for you, but only because you're mis-using the loops.

Actually your not holding the dive block, your holding the riser and pulling down on the block. And I perfer to have my toggle over my whole hand (so I dont loose it). And no I'm not the "sort" to shove my whole hand in the whole loop, your fingers quite simpily don't slide out as easy with gloves especially with a tack or rubber glove.
Mis-using the loops.....your funny:D

May I suggest upward-facing tuck-tabs ... an inverted version of the "slider catchers" Rigging Innovations was selling 15 years ago?

aka "ledges" with carbon fiber inserts? ;)
I modified my risers in ~2005 (after reading Jim S. post on dz.com) and converted a few friends too.
P.S. never lost the grip (can hold 450 on velo90, no problem :P)

Anyone have a pic of riser blocks? I think I've never seen those.

You know those sticky fabric wraps that medical clinics sometimes use to hold gauze pads after you've had blood drawn? I've seen something like that wrapped repeatedly around the risers.

Sure, I have seen CF dogs wind multiple layers of "vet wrap" around their riser blocks - to make them easier to grip.The dis-advantage of "vet wrap" is that it makes the risers so fat that regular riser covers will not stay closed. So you need to completely re-design main riser covers, which a fe wmanufacturers have done, but it is far more headache than most skydivers want to get into !!!!!