Viking

Have you guys ever met a girl that......

VIKING..NOOOOO, not the DZ first man. Take her to the photo thingy first. Think about it...a girl you barely know with a bunch of horney skydiver guys who aren't shy??? Take her on a photo shoot first, give her a chance to get to know you, a little, then whisk her away to the DZ. Skydiving is a must, but the Pink Elephant way is the way to get the ball rolling before it takes a two and a half mile leap.

Poster: Viking
Subject: Re: Have you guys ever met a girl that......
oh trust me if she doesn't want to skydive she is gone!!! but she seems like the type that would have no problem with me jumping.....i hope
Thats what they all say at the start.............. remember they all end up competing with an unknown quantity...... my girlfriend at the moment says its like i am having an affair......... Whuffo birds never understand............ never will........... its hard to find one who does let you get on with it............. and when you do........... keep hold of her......... its priceless.................
Go for it man....................
BSBD
"Go hard, fast & Way Low"

Take her to the pack shed and knock her stockings off.

:DEXACTLY! B|Break that chick down like an escopeta! (that's "shotgun" in spanish)
Let me pass on these words of wisdom imparted onto me by my father, Buddy Blue D-597 , on my 13th birthday:
"Boy, every one you turn down is one you missed, and the WORST I ever had was wonderful"
That applies to most things in life. If you drag ass now and let the opportunity pass, then you will SURELY regret it later in life.
Ask the girl out.
Chuck
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

This results in you having a bunch of female friends and no dates.

Damn, but this describes my high school and college experience. I was "the guy who understands" to my numerous female friends. They cried to me when some jerk treated them like shit. Once you are securely pigeonholed as "the good guy friend I can talk to", without them knowing you are interested in dating them, you are ska-rewed!
So bringing this back to Viking....
Let her know you are interested! Work on being assertive, without going into jerk-mode. I'm sure you can do it. Otherwise, you may set a pattern of being passed by and relegated to the role of "supportive confidant". The last thing you want to hear is how some guy had sex with your good female friend and just used her, when you could have been the one to go there, and make it into a relationship.
Like everyone else said, GO FOR IT! I was a lot like you, and I agree that it is way harder than jumping from a plane. Look at it as a challenge, or personal growth. However you see it, take the chance and ask the girl out.
End of relationship rant.... :)And by the way, once you and this cutie are dating, be sure to post some nice pictures of her to DZ.com. Hey, I'm not a perv, you met her in photography class, for God's sake! :P
Justin
My Homepage

You can do both Viking. Just ask her if she'd like to go to the DZ to take pictures and/or do a tandem if she wants. I'd bet one of the tandem masters would cut you a break if you do photos for them sometime. I'd bet Paul or John would be happy to help you out. If she's unsure about the tandem you can go up with her and comfort her on the plane. If she doesn't want to do a tandem maybe she'd take pictures of you landing. There's a ton of possibilities. Everyone's right, if she weren't interested she wouldn't be smiling and asking you questions. Besides, everyone at the DZ thinks you're a pretty good guy so they'd be talking you up and taking the pressure off.
DO IT.
Keith

Ok, this is easier said than done, but look at it this way....
Are you happy now??? NO! Would you be happier having her say no, and knowing what the answer is, without having to wonder for the rest of your life if you could have had a really good time with this girl outside of photography class? PROBABLY.
More people than we know go through the same things....even the ones that seem confident generally aren't. Be true to yourself and what you want, and you will be able to be honest and open with her. Remember getting out of the plane the first time??? The threshold of the door is the scariest part, and once you pass that threshold, you may be in an area where you are unfamiliar, but it can be the best experience of your life. If it is, great, if not, move on.
Chew on this.....even if she says no, everything will be on the table, and you can proceed with what could be a fantastic friendship. If she says yes, you could get nookie. Either way, you will both be in a better position than you are now.
Just my two cents....I'm going to follow my own advice, and go and hit on all the girls that I have always wanted to. :-)
Blue Ones,
Steve

i used to be shy around women, but that has definitely dissipated over the years (now 36). i think i finally got over it when i realized that, hey, i'm not attracted to every woman, so every woman doesn't have to be attracted to me. i'm going bald, and i realize that some women absolutely will not go out with balding men, but there are also women who find bald guys sexy. and some women just don't care one way or another. trust me, if she's smiling at you, she's interested. even if she has a guy, there's something about you which attracts her. GO FOR IT! if nothing else, you'll wind up with a good buddy, and we can all use one of those. also, girl "friends" are a great source of meeting other women! cute chicks usually run with cute chicks, so even if it doesn't work out between you you'll probably get some action out of it.
good luck,
yim
"i sit, therefore, i am"

2. Talk about what you know that you have in common: Photography.Show her your recent work. Ask a question about the composition. ASK HER OPINION. If she wants to make something of it she will feed the conversation. Show her a bunch of things over a few classes(1 or 2) and see what she reacts to and then take the information and act on it.

AWESOME advice! :)
Tee

Okay, enough serious replies. It is time for....
Fun in the Darkroom
Offer to show her your "enlarger".
Teach her the real meaning of "burn and dodge".
Fun uses for photographic tongs!
Naked people look cool in red darkroom lights.
"Trust me, Ansel Adams did this all the time."
Redefine "contact prints".

I hope this gives you some ideas, Viking. :D
Justin
My Homepage

viking,
does she know that you skydive? youve got to find a way to let her know that if she doesnt. Think about it, the conversation leading up to that inevitable question is always awkward, so if you start off by talking about something that you absolutely love, something that is so important in your life, something that really excites (shut up dirty minded people :) you, the conversation would be easier. Maybe talk about how beutiful the sunset looks when skydiving.. offer to show her a picture.
THATS IT!!! look thru your skydiving pics/vids. What absolutely reminds you of her? is it a beutiful sunset? an amazing sunrise load? A great shot of some blue skies? when you find that picture or that video that reminds you of her bring it to class. Tell her that you were looking thru your stuff and saw this.. (you were looking thru stuff) and you thought she might like to see it.
there ya go. good luck!
"i can not attest to what i did, just what i remember...."
~me, after one too many

Fun in the Darkroom
Offer to show her your "enlarger".
Teach her the real meaning of "burn and dodge".
Fun uses for photographic tongs!
Naked people look cool in red darkroom lights.
"Trust me, Ansel Adams did this all the time."
Redefine "contact prints".

LOL beleive me i have wanted to come up behind her when she was bent over the develping tray (she has that kinda nice ass that isn't fat but isn't boney!!) :o but i think that would be a little to forward even if it worked on Jessica Alba in "Idle hands" :)and i beleive she knows i skydive, last class i was talking with one of my female friends about a picture that i did. Its whats called a negative sandwich. That is two negs stacked ontop of each other and the result is a pretty cool ghost image kinda thing. But in this case i did it with two of my slides which are a positive image so what i got on paper was this B+W negative pretty cool. I started explaining about the parachute that was featured in the shot (Vilocity 90 somthing) and how they are for the most experinced pilot and that for a comparison i fly a 260 at the moment. Now the hole time i was doin this Cole (thats her name) was sitting well within earshot, talking with someone else. not to mention i wear my skydive elsinore shirt to school on a regular basis, and my Go Fast PHUQKINFAST! shirt. Man i hope she shoes up Monday for the dark room time that is set aside for my class!!!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

You're gonna pull it off man, I can tell. Just keep a clear head, and talk with her like always.
I always think this approach works best:
Mind (talking to body) : "Hey, body, what's up?"
Body : "Ooooohh... nothing really."
Mind : "Huh, cool, ok, talk to you later"
Body: "Alrightt... keep quiet... ok, on 3... 3....2....1 Go!"
Mind : "HEY! HEY! You wanna involve me in this!?"
Body : "Haha too late, it's done."
Mind : "Damnit."
I learned it from skiing: You have to surprise yourself. Don't give yourself the chance to second guess yourself, just keep a blank head, right up until the second you do it.
That's how I taught myself backflips on skis, so it at least works for me. Forget about over-coming fear; outsmart it.
----
Superman never made any money
For saving the world from Solomon Grundy
And sometimes I despair the world will never see
Another man like him

It is funny that you should mention superman...consider this. Even the new skydivers are like superman to "normal" people. We non-skygods may not be very good skydivers but hey, we skydive. For a minute or so we can fly. Now on the dropzone we are like superman is when he is on Krypton no big deal, but when superman is standing next to "normal" people he seems pretty bad ass. Just consider that when you are asking this chick out. Yeah, that'll work.

yep one of the very welcome upsides of jumping how ever you only can impress whuffo's who will more than likely want you to stop "wasting your weekend at that place" :( i just hope that she isn't one of those!!!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

ya know what??? Stop listening to these people....yeah, she might think it's cool that you skydive, but approach her as a person....if she doesn't like you (which I doubt), she's not going to go out with you because you throw yourself out of an airplane regularly.
It may or may not work, but I doubt that it would....and if it did, you wouldn't feel like you were able to be yourself....you would feel like you were hiding yourself behind this "cool skydiver" screen. If you put that screen up, then all of a sudden you will be in the position of trying to decide when to bring it down and show her who you are.
Be yourself from the start, and feel good about it. Be authentic with her.....it will work its self out, and you both feel much better about you in the long run.
Again, just a couple of cents from a guy who is terrified of approaching chicks. :-)
Steve

It may or may not work, but I doubt that it would....and if it did, you wouldn't feel like you were able to be yourself....you would feel like you were hiding yourself behind this "cool skydiver" screen. If you put that screen up, then all of a sudden you will be in the position of trying to decide when to bring it down and show her who you are.
hey i get alot of action cause of this.i wear a skydiving shirt then the chick asks me about it i then explain how it is so great and how it has chnaged my life blahblahblah an hour later yer well u can imagine the rest
i live my life 14000 ft at a time, nothen else matters, in that 60 seconds or less im free

wearing a skydiving shirt and answering questions is different than walking up to someone and going "hey, I skydive...wanna f*$*?" :-)
We're not talking about him wanting to get action, we are talking about a fragile young heart seeking love....and action.
I just think it's harder to wear a shirt to impress someone and then try to inconspicuously get it in their line of sight, in a way that they will take notice, than it is just to wear any old shirt and walk up to the chick and say "excuse me young attractive lady....I have noticed you in class many a time, and would be greatly honored if you would join me for a cup of coffee someday, or maybe even a shag or two."
:-)

inconspicuously get it in their line of site
now why on earth would i do that i start talken to them the shirt just gets them to ask about jumpen while we are talkin
i live my life 14000 ft at a time, nothen else matters, in that 60 seconds or less im free

You can do both Viking. Just ask her if she'd like to go to the DZ to take pictures and/or do a tandem if she wants. I'd bet one of the tandem masters would cut you a break if you do photos for them sometime. I'd bet Paul or John would be happy to help you out. If she's unsure about the tandem you can go up with her and comfort her on the plane. If she doesn't want to do a tandem maybe she'd take pictures of you landing. There's a ton of possibilities. Everyone's right, if she weren't interested she wouldn't be smiling and asking you questions. Besides, everyone at the DZ thinks you're a pretty good guy so they'd be talking you up and taking the pressure off.
DO IT.
Keith

Is this the Keith that has the tie dye racer and jumps at Otay? If so whats up man!! thanx for the advice encouragment. :)I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver