Kid_Icarus

saying "Fir$t" = Beer? What's the deal?

Notice I knew enough not to really write it...;) But I'm new and was wondering what the whole "Beer" thing is about? Is it when you say first? My DZ has a beer rule about landing on pavement (pilots excluded). Is this just a ploy to drink the golden goodness? Cause if it is, let me be the first to say, i like it....:P

Firsts always constitute beer, and yes it is for the golden goodness. There are other "violations" that beer must be paid for according to the DZ, such as landing beyond the "beer line" or landing on the pavement. It's a punishment but for the good of the commune...;)

all right to head off the next question.....

"what kind of beer do I buy?":S

well for starters bringing back cases of pabst or natural light, will get your ass kicked:o well not really they probably will get drunk. But I have found that we skydivers on average do have taste buds.... think quality when making that selection;)

This is a stupid tradition that the sport would be better off without.
Rules that encourage or even require excessive drinking are idiotic and irresponsible.

If you want to get drunk, go get drunk. Why do you need some dumb ass excuse like you or someone else did something for the first time?

Go buy your own beer, folks.
I dont buy it for myself and I sure as hell aint buying it for anyone else :S

Not new actually. Been jumping since 1989. I've been well aquainted with the beer traditions for 15 years.
I took a decade off after a very slow start and just came back last year. B|

I'm an alcoholic sober 8 years.
I know I dont have to participate in the beer traditions.

To some of us they arent fun at all but a constant annoyance that occasionally needs venting.

I have to listen to the beer and drinking stories continually, its only fair that you get to hear my opinion as well B|.

It's what I aspire to...jerk....and that was the first time anyone's hurt my feelings here...B|;)

wasnt ment as a personal hit on you....was actually laughing at it cause made me think when i was a student and I took an instructor or two Head Down and Im sure im not the only one.....so for many students..FF is a disipline that they do.. they just ot sure how they do it.

and you will learn......only take half the shit i say seriously and the other half you have to decide if its serious.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

This is a stupid tradition that the sport would be better off without.
Rules that encourage or even require excessive drinking are idiotic and irresponsible.

If you want to get drunk, go get drunk. Why do you need some dumb ass excuse like you or someone else did something for the first time?

Go buy your own beer, folks.
I dont buy it for myself and I sure as hell aint buying it for anyone else :S

:S:|
yeah maybe we should trash this tradition... along with pieing, since I don't like pie. maybe we could go to the DZ, make a skydive, and then drive straight home... that would be fun.

(note the sarcasm ;))

MB 3528, RB 1182

yeah maybe we should trash this tradition... along with pieing, since I don't like pie. maybe we could go to the DZ, make a skydive, and then drive straight home... that would be fun.

(note the sarcasm ;))

Yeah!
So what you are saying is that without the beer, skydiving is no fun.
Has someone told you that if you arent drinking beer you must leave immediately? Or that you cant socialize without getting drunk?

Maybe you are in it for the wrong reasons?

all right to head off the next question.....

"what kind of beer do I buy?":S

well for starters bringing back cases of pabst or natural light, will get your ass kicked:o well not really they probably will get drunk. But I have found that we skydivers on average do have taste buds.... think quality when making that selection;)

RIGHT ON. I know one dz that if you get anything other than a certain type of beer (Labatt Blue) it's not even counted, and you still owe beer. This rule can apply almost anywhere. Just get whatever beer you'd drink on a very special night. That oughta cut it. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

(note the sarcasm ;))

Yeah!
So what you are saying is that without the beer, skydiving is no fun.
Has someone told you that if you arent drinking beer you must leave immediately? Or that you cant socialize without getting drunk?

Maybe you are in it for the wrong reasons?

Just because you equate drinking with over-indulging doesn't mean everyone does. Some people can have a beer or two socially without the need to get drunk.

never pull low......unless you are

The beer tradition is something I see as fun, nothing more, nothing less. Without traditions, events/things tend to not have the atmoshlere/fun that is normally associated with them. New events always are the start of new traditions. It's fun, it contributes to the social atmosphere of the sport. Yes, I like beer, but I know people that jump that don't, they hang around and socialize just as everyone else does. I know an AFF instructor at my DZ that doesn't drink at all, always soft frinks when everybody else is drinking beer, doesn't effect him, or the fun that he has. In fact, when I got my new jumpsuit, I was walking back after landing (he was on the same load with me), he walked up beside me and said, "Hey, that's a cool suit you got there. New?" I said yes, "First jump in it?" Yeah, I said. Then he laughed and said, "THAT would be a case of Beer! :) But the best part of the tradition, overall, is the social fun/ties that it produces, even for those that do not drink.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

natural light

Nasty Light.....all I know that we use that fro on our DZ is.....target practice at the Coconut Monkey Lounge, Spa, and Artillary Range

RIGHT ON!!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Just because you equate drinking with over-indulging doesn't mean everyone does. Some people can have a beer or two socially without the need to get drunk.

The ones that have a beer or two socially are not the ones that are constantly wrecking my favorite activity by filling it with incessant references to something that, for me, is a deadly poison.

At my DZ, The DZO does not Drink at all. So the "Beer" that he is owed is Ice Cream. He is also the Rigger so for a Save he gets a Gallon, preferably Moose Tracks Brand. For others that don’t drink it is also a courtesy to bring a 12 pack of Cokes or something so that everyone can participate in your "First" calibration.
Many People can socialize and enjoy a few Beers without ever developing a problem. I see no reason to ban Beer Traditions because there are some who cannot.
If you really are jumping at a place that asks you to leave if you are not drinking, then maybe you should look around for another DZ.

maybe we could go to the DZ, make a skydive, and then drive straight home... that would be fun.

That is exactly it.

The orig poster was asking about the beer tradition. It is for social reasons. Primarily for the person who has done something. People can help you celebrate your life. Part of skydiving is sharing it and talking to others who understand your brain.

One of the major ways to learn is to stand around and talk to people about what you are doing or trying. Listen to someone with 500 jumps of doing what you want to do.

I know of DZs where everyone jumps and then goes home. They suck.

Actually I see the real problem with it as being the equating of socializing with drinking. Cant have one without the other.

It doesnt really have to be that way but the two seem to be inexorably intertwined in our society and even more so in this sport.

I DO hang around and socialize during the day. When the beer starts to flow I hit the road. For a lot of reasons which, in spite of what some of these responses seem to indicate, are completely valid.

I dont have any issue with people drinking.
I do occasionally wish I could enjoy a day of skydiving without someone yelling "BEER" at me.

It would be like me yelling "TUMOR" to someone who is in remission from cancer.

Sure, it wont kill him but he probably doesnt want to be continually reminded of his terminal illness while he is indulging in his favorite activity.

This is kind of an extreme example but its not really that far off the mark.