Remster

Madrid terrorist attack

Thanks for posting the link.

I just heard about this briefly on KFI this morning. Instead of talking about this attack on KFI they are talking about Jacko :|. This attack is very frightening and I'm feeling saddened today.
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

I find lumping any terrorist organizations in with religion to be real hard to swallow. How can anyone combine committing cowardly acts of mass murder in God's name.....

But I don't see as how the ETA is religious based, it appears they are politically motivated. Is speration from Spainish/French nation their only agenda?
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Haven't heard anything about it. Wasn't on the radio here in Atlanta. I don't watch C ommunist N ews N etwork. Far too left-wing bias and anti-American to suit my tastes! Sounds like it was a very bad attack. Sorry for the victum's families, condolences to them. :( My only question is, how quickly will the rest of the world, the un, both klintons, Kerry and the Democrate party blame what happened in Spain on America, and Geroge W. Bush?
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

I find lumping any terrorist organizations in with religion to be real hard to swallow. How can anyone combine committing cowardly acts of mass murder in God's name.....

I totaly agree. I have lost friends fighting teriost groups, and am currently waiting to find out if my unit is going to be doing the same. Terrorist are extemists. I have lots of ismalic friends and they love this country, it is a small percentage of poeple who will actually strap a bomb to themselves and run out and blow them selves up. So i dont blame islamic people, i blame the terrorists.

Just an annalogy i heard one in a poli science class: terrorist are to musslams, as the KKK is to christiaanity.

Now im a christian, and i dont wear sheets.

blue skys
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

And they are protesting what exactly? What is wrong with Spain that requires terrorist measures? They want Mexico back as a colony?

http://cfrterrorism.org/groups/eta_print.html

From the link:

"How does ETA finance its activities?
ETA conducts kidnappings for ransom, robs banks, traffics in drugs, and extorts money from businesses in Basque areas, experts say."

Sounds like the Mob.

In other words, the original political objectives are long gone, Spain having granted de facto autonomy to the Basque areas long ago (the rugged, mountainous areas of the frontier between France and Spain having been traditionally autonomous by virtue of geography). Seems to me that this violence is just about violence, not politics, and exists to serve itself.

edit to add parenthetical remark

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

actually, I corrected myself and said how many christian terrorists act because of religion. I would say IRA and ETA don't qualify. Clinic bombers do.

Most terrorists fight for separation/their own land. Some use religion for a cover. Few Christians act because of it. Islamic terrorists on the other hand, tend to see religion and actions as going hand in hand.

My sympathies to everyone who lost someone.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Exactly my sentiments...I dare any terrorist organizations to back up what their ideals are to justify their actions.....and then show how they are different than common criminals.

At least criminals have the balls to claim they do it for profit only and not claim lofty ideals.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

"It doesn't explain 40 plus years of stupidity...but what would?"
I'm guessing they are looking for independence from a government that doesn't understand the needs of the Basque people. Extraordinary thing independence, or even the prospect of it, and it can raise all sorts of emotions.

Please note that I don't support this type of action or this particular group, just trying to understand what would drive this level of madness.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Ahh yes, damned Christian terrorsts..:(

It was mentioned in the "Invasion of Zimbabwe" thread when someone said there were no real christian terrorists, until others pointed out the IRA, Lebanon, and the ETA...

t

Most of what I've researched so far highlights ETA's Marxist ideology. Very few references to Christianity.

Exactly, I was talking about Christian terrorists, not terrorists who happen to be Christian. My fault for not being clear, I suppose.

So can I gather that everyone knows it was the ETA, the basque "authorities" have denounced the attack, and a lot of people were hurt for no good reason.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

From Yahoo UK news..

Madrid train blasts kill 173
By Daniel Trotta

MADRID (Reuters) - Basque separatists have killed 173 people in simultaneous blasts that ripped through packed Madrid trains in the guerrilla group's bloodiest attack in more than three decades, Spain says.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks across the Spanish capital three days before a national election, but Spain insisted on Thursday the Basque separatist group ETA was to blame.

It brushed aside suggestions that Muslim militants angry at Spain's support for the U.S.-led war in Iraq were behind the attacks.

Ten rush-hour blasts at three railway stations tore up people, including a baby, and left pools of blood in the wreckage of trains, tracks and buildings.

"It is absolutely clear that the terrorist organisation ETA was seeking an attack with wide repercussions," Interior Minister Angel Acebes told a hastily called news conference, dismissing speculation that any other group could be involved.

Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar vowed the government would arrest the "criminals" behind the blasts, which ripped open commuter trains like tuna cans.

The Interior Ministry said 173 people died in the explosions which rocked the central Madrid station of Atocha, the southern Madrid station of El Pozo and a third at Santa Eugenia.

Officials said 600 people were injured.

ETA (Euskadi ta Askatasuna) has killed around 850 people since 1968 in its fight for a separate Basque homeland in northwest Spain and southwest France and has been branded a terrorist group by the United States and the European Union.

Late last month, police arrested two suspected ETA members who were heading for Madrid with a van containing 500 kg (1,100 lbs) of explosives, averting a possible attack.

If the Basque group was responsible for Thursday's bombings, it would be its deadliest attack, exceeding the 21 people it killed in a supermarket blast in Barcelona in 1987.

A LOT OF BLOOD

"I saw a baby torn to bits," said Ana Maria Mayor, a train passenger, her voice cracking.

Ambulance driver Enrique Sanchez said at Atocha station that many people had facial wounds, amputated limbs and broken bones.

"The train was cut open like a can of tuna...We didn't know who to treat first. There was a lot of blood, a lot of blood."

The Spanish government convened an emergency cabinet meeting and the ruling Popular Party suspended its election campaign, which had focused on a tougher stance against ETA.

European stock markets fell sharply on fears the attack was the work of Islamic extremists, while bond markets rallied as investors pushed their cash into safe havens. The September 11 attacks on the U.S. led to sharp falls in global markets in 2001 and were blamed for deepening a worldwide economic slump.

U.S. President George W. Bush joined other leaders in condemning the bombings which European Parliament President Pat Cox called the "worst act of terror in memory in any European Union state."

It was the biggest death toll in Europe since December 1988 when a Pan American World Airways Boeing 747 crashed on the town of Lockerbie, Scotland, killing all 259 aboard after a bomb on the plane exploded. Eleven people in Lockerbie also were killed.

Some experts on ETA said the bombings did not fit ETA's usual profile for attacks. The guerrilla group has frequently phoned ahead to warn of its plans.

Last month ETA declared a ceasefire limited to the northeastern region of Catalonia but made clear it would pursue the armed struggle in the rest of the country.

In October, two audiotapes purportedly from al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden said the militant group had the "right to respond at any suitable time and place" against those countries with forces in Iraq. Spain was among the countries listed.

I'm surprised they are not more known then that in the US with the war on terrorism BS... ETA is, along with the IRA probably one of the most active terrorism group in the world....[:/]

But I'm pretty sure that in the US "war on global terrorism" the IRA and ETA aren't even on the list of targeted terrorist groups, even though they are 2 of the most active groups in the world. Why not, you ask? Could it be because the IRA get a vast amount of their funding from the USA?? The US government give money to Sinn Fein, the political wing of the IRA, for their election campaigns. If that isn't directly funding terrorism, I dont know what is! Some serious double standards going on there.......>:(

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

Well where I have a problem is why is there still a need for this independence. The Basque and Spain have been around for a long time. Are there still elements trying to exterminate their culture? Now since 1960 things have changed so much that murder is acceptable?

If you are fighting for indepedence I would think the only targets would be military. Once you target civilians you are a terrorist. I think it is possible to be a rebel or revolutionary without being a thug.

However you bring up an interesting point? Would the British have viewed the Americans as terrorists when we declared out independence?
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

feel free to support you claims while to hijack this into US bashing.

FYI - IRA and ETA accounts were frozen after 9/11. And doesn't it make sense to go after terrorist who are attacking you before ones who aren't?
witty subliminal message
1*

My fiancee lived in Madrid for three years. She woke up at midnight and got some water and a little food, and went to bed. That is apparently 9:00 a.m. madrid time.

We woke up this morning at 7:00, whereupon she told me she had a dream about her ex husband in Spain (and another nightmare where our baby killed himself with ehr brother's handgun). Right after she told me this the alarm kicked on. We listen to NPR.

It started with "terrorist bombings kill over 170 in Madrid." It was eerie.

Maybe she'll find out the ex is dead. In a way, she hopes he is. Knowing what I know, I can understand that.[:/]

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Oh, this thread was hijacked quite a few posts back :

My only question is, how quickly will the rest of the world, the un, both klintons, Kerry and the Democrate party blame what happened in Spain on America, and Geroge W. Bush?

We don't even know for sure who did this, until then how about concerning ourselves with the victims and their families.

Will